Travel to Mauritius

Any advice for me, we doing this for 1st time, like travel insurance?

Is carton bike box strong enough?

How to split mtb for compact packaging?

Travel insurance is often free if you pay with a qualifying credit card so maybe check that out.

Go all inclusive and leave your bike at home!! chill on the beach and do some diving, its the whole attraction of going there in the first place.

The roads are a bit hectic and the drivers pretty much do what they want so its not somewhere I would be overly keen to cycle. You can also rent bikes there if you really want to ride.

Any advice for me, we doing this for 1st time, like travel insurance?

Is carton bike box strong enough?

How to split mtb for compact packaging?

We took our gravel bikes last year when we went to Mauritius, and are taking them with us again for our honeymoon in June this year.

We took the bikes in Evoc bike bags with absolutely no issues - just check with your transfer company from the airport to ensure they bring a trailer so the bikes can fit in!

My husband and I felt 100% safe riding on the roads in Mauritius. While I agree the driving seems rather hectic when inside a car being driven around, when on a bike on the road the drivers are patient and wait until it is safe to pass you. They treat you as if you are a valid road user and we never felt like we were in danger.

Travel insurance - check with your medical aid as they may cover you. I know mine does.

Otherwise definitely go for the all inclusive option - makes life very simple and easy and is 100% worth it.

• 2 years later...

Reviving this topic. I'm flying to Mauritius next week for 10 days. Any good adress to rent bicycles there ? Rather go for a road bike or MTB ? I'll be staying in the north (pointe aux cannoniers), doesn't look like there's a lot of mountains/MTB that side of the island though, might stick to the indoor bikes at the gym :D

Edited by Jbr

32 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Reviving this topic. I'm flying to Mauritius next week for 10 days. Any good adress to rend bicycles there ? Rather go for a road bike or MTB ? I'll be staying in the north (pointe aux cannoniers), doesn't look like there's a lot of mountains/MTB that side of the island though, might stick to the indoor bikes at the gym :D

Sounds like good DC training

I would not ride a bike on the roads in Mauritius.

The roads are too narrow and busy with no shoulder whatsoever. The standard of driving is not great either.

• 4 months later...