[Event] EWC 3 Jonkershoek Enduro

Enduro Western Cape

I have entered and I am scared.

Plumber 2 at race pace will claim some victims.  I see they say that all large features are included, I wonder if the Plumber entrance drop at the top will be included. I need to hit that thing then, sigh...

Also Entered, and I'm more than happy with "only"4 stages

Route from Entryninja:

The Route
Liaison 1: a nice little warm up... +350m
Stage 1: Red Phoenix/Bennet's Red, top to bottom: 2.58km, -318m
Liaison 2: This is where you start hating us a little! +318m climb.
Stage 2. The Plumber: definitely to top two sections, including all large features. maybe also the lower section if there are reasonable riding lines around the jumps. We have yet to check out it's condition. 1.17km, -246m
Liaison 3: This is where you start hating us a little more! +311m climbing
Stage 3. Armageddon/Canaries: top-to bottom including re-vamped upper section and Zululand lower. It's easier, but it's longer... hello arm pump! 4km, -453m
There will be a Cadence Nutrition water point at the bottom of Canaries, for you to wash away your tears.
Liaison 4: There is no hate. There is only being one with the bike. And a donderse climb. +436m
Stage 4. Iron Monkey: top to bottom. -479m

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plumber 2 at race pace will claim some victims.  I see they say that all large features are included, I wonder if the Plumber entrance drop at the top will be included. I need to hit that thing then, sigh...

I highly doubt it. Besides for 90% of the field probably breaking their necks on it, I just don't see how it will be practical with everyone camping out in that area waiting to start red phoenix and plumber...

I do hope the rock drop on Iron Monkey is open this year though - it's actually much easier (and faster) than the "chicken run" rock roll to the right of it.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Plumber 2 at race pace will claim some victims. I see they say that all large features are included, I wonder if the Plumber entrance drop at the top will be included. I need to hit that thing then, sigh...

Last year the plumber stage started at the landing of the drop in.

Time for a recce I think - need to decide if I'm actually riding it this year. I had more than 1 intimate moment with the rocks on Plumber last year which put me out of riding for a few weeks so definitely a little wary of going back there again.

Time for a recce I think - need to decide if I'm actually riding it this year. I had more than 1 intimate moment with the rocks on Plumber last year which put me out of riding for a few weeks so definitely a little wary of going back there again.

Nothing wrong with giving stage 2 a skip.... the rest of the stages are considerably easier, and even just doing 3 of the 4 still gives you a lekker long day out and is still worth the entry fee.

Haha, Ag its not so bad, the only thing to really be scared of is the pressure one puts on oneself. Like, can I still keep up with the lads..? I haven't done a Enduro for 3 years..?? and last time I was fitter stronger and everyone else still sucked.

The climbs however, do scare me..

Nothing wrong with giving stage 2 a skip.... the rest of the stages are considerably easier, and even just doing 3 of the 4 still gives you a lekker long day out and is still worth the entry fee.

Except that your mates will continously remind you of it until you do it...

And that is why I will be doing stage 2 hahaha

Plumbers drop-in is only scary because its somewhat blind. Go and ride the thing on your own with no people around and its no issue. What it does do, is give you an instant boost of speed which is pretty hard to control if you're still focused on "the drop". So either way, get your head in the game ;) That off camber rock garden just before the first road crossing is going to catch a few guys out though.

Plumber 1 is actually relatively easy except for that last rocky part!

Plumbers drop-in is only scary because its somewhat blind. Go and ride the thing on your own with no people around and its no issue. What it does do, is give you an instant boost of speed which is pretty hard to control if you're still focused on "the drop". So either way, get your head in the game ;) That off camber rock garden just before the first road crossing is going to catch a few guys out though.

Edited by RiverInTheRoad

I am fairly confident with it now (still need to ride a few times before the race) - I'm referring to Plumber in general not the drop in at the start. The reason I gave it a skip last year is because I knew for sure that I would walk the rock garden you are referring to, and I was quite unfit. So for me it was a choice between suffering up an extra climb just to walk a stage (and cause some traffic jams), or just do 3 stages I was very comfortable with. And... last year was my first year of enduro and it was all about taking part and progressing a bit - this year I am putting a bit more pressure on myself, so I am definitely going for it.

The way I see it, a race is not the place to progress - the build up to it is. So if there are guys that are stressing about Plumber, or that haven't done it at all - just give it a skip on the day - like I mentioned - plenty of trails to still make the day worth while.

On the Plumber drop - may be a while before I attempt that  :eek: what scares me most about it is the speed you carry into the corner.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

The key to Plumber is to keep momentum. There is two spots where you have to let go of the brakes in order to give you that boost to clear the next rocky bit. It's down that rocky "shoot" and just before that section. Considering all the rocks, it rolls pretty okay.

Edited by stefmeister

Sjoe.... That's a proper day out. Time for a recce methinks. 

If all plumber features are open, does that mean the chicken lines are taped off or can we still miss that really awkward rock drop and the step up?

I have tried numerous times and have never cleared that step up. Ever.

I'd say that the B lines will all be open, but so will the features, if you want to do them.