[Event] EWC 3 Jonkershoek Enduro

Enduro Western Cape

So everyone all #trained up for the Enduro?

Long range weather forecast looks perfect. All the trails are amazing. Except Plumber. I can't a FKUC ride that thing.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty keen for this right now..

Under-prepared, UN- fit, but worst case scenario,  I'm still going to ride a crapload of awesome singletrack with a bunch of rad people this Sunday!

I kind of have to go to Rotterdam for urgent work trip on Thursday, but I'm totally passing the buck on this one. I have thoroughly enjoyed the buildup to this, exploring and riding some of the sections of trails that I would perhaps not usually have done, and perhaps even developed a bit as a rider. 

I only reckoned Red Phoenix and plumber, the bottom half once only, I'm quite nervous because I dabbed once and almost crashed once before even getting to the features. But I did the rock drops and hit the step-up and its not that bad, just need some speed.

Rode trails in Knysna last week and enjoyed the change of scenery but at the end of my ride I was craving some Gnar! Can you believe Jonkers looked a bit like this once!?

Long live #Enduro.

post-1279-0-41877400-1569852808_thumb.jpg

post-1279-0-79172500-1569853854_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bos

Went there on Friday, climbed up to Saaltjie, got a puncture on the 1st section of Armageddon and rolled down to the gate after that. Super bummed. 

Headed straight to the Bike Hanger and bought Maxxis 29x2.5 Minion DHF and DHR. Those Specialized Butchers have the softest sidewalls!

Saterday morning I returned to Jonkers and headed up to do Iron Monkey again. Felt good with the new tyres but got it very wrong on the Rock drop and had a sweet OTB into the rocks.

Nursed it down the rest of Iron Monkey and then did the Plumber, I have done it 3 times now and starting to find a bit of flow on it. Some sections you just need to hold on and pray for the best. 

Finally i did the last section of Armageddon into Zululand and binned it on one of the last berms on Zululand 3. 

I think the nerves of the race are already showing and I was trying to go that 5% harder for prep of the race as well as trying to get to know my new 2.5inch tyres capabilities. havent fallen in such a long time so it good to push the limits again.

See you on Sunday!

Long range weather forecast looks perfect. All the trails are amazing. Except Plumber. I can't a FKUC ride that thing.

Hardly. Still hacking up my lungs and my eyes are looking like they have 10kg weights attached to the lids. It's increasingly looking as if I'll be spectating. Not a fuuuuck am I gonna ride Jonkers and climb 1400 plus metres when I'm feeling like this, let alone as soon as 6 days after, IF I kick it tomorrow. 

Hahah.. Ditto. Glad I am not on my own. Plumber 2, Like I just said above, I only rode it once, and actually went to go check out the rock features. I thought, I'd just go fast, float over the rocks right.. I recall Greg Minaar saying that about MSA on a Cathrow Vision. Easy right!? 

In the first 150 m of Plumber 2, I dabbed after coming to a slamming halt and the same happened 100m further and I almost went OTB.. Rode the second half with more respect and felt quite shaky by the first rock drop, which actually intimidated me like hell. Mark my words someone is going to hit that thing to fast and OTB from the top.

The next drop and the step up was actually quite easy by comparison, totally missed that massive rock feature, I saw it out the corner of my eye when I was passing the down slope part, at least I know where to look now, I'll hit it blind on race day :)

@Tim, like you said, I think one must just hold on and hope for the best. I cant even remember where the rock drop on Iron Monkey is.. Oh well. I absolutely hate the saaltjie climb, so I'm not about to go do a recon ride.

If anything it's been a motivator to get a little stronger.

I'm going to share my "get through 4 #enduro stages" nutrition plan but only After the race. Coz I buy it on the way to Jonkies and If I get there on the day and they are all sold out I'll be devastated.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Hardly. Still hacking up my lungs and my eyes are looking like they have 10kg weights attached to the lids. It's increasingly looking as if I'll be spectating. Not a fuuuuck am I gonna ride Jonkers and climb 1400 plus metres when I'm feeling like this, let alone as soon as 6 days after, IF I kick it tomorrow. 

If you are as sick as you describe you'd be absolutely insane doing anything strenuous by the weekend. Seriously. Not a good plan. Even if you kick it this minute.

If you are as sick as you describe you'd be absolutely insane doing anything strenuous by the weekend. Seriously. Not a good plan. Even if you kick it this minute.

I've had it for more than 2 weeks, now. A round of antis, as many meds as you can throw a stick at and some lovely bedrest. Thank **** the post nasal drip stopped on the weekend. Single worst part of flu / illness, for me. 

Yep. You're absolutely right. Definitely spectating, though. Gotta heckle!!!

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

I still miss the old canaries through the trees... Climbing those was always a highlight of Jonkers for me.

Having single track/not straight crap boring fire roads to climb definitely takes the sting out of the up, even if it isn't 'shorter'.

Can't agree more! The slight techy challenges in-between were great.

Can't agree more! The slight techy challenges in-between were great.

It's actually been one of my big bug bears since the demise of the pine tree trail in Tokai, and since they made all the trails 'down only'.

Jonkers post Canaries and that really awkward sandy trail also made great practice climbing technical trails and punching up obstacles while having to pedal and keep momentum.

I don't like climbing fire roads and I find the monotony of fire roads straight into balls deep down trails a bit much.

I mean, look, I love it, but it all pangs a little of same same, same same.....

Look at me complaining like a millenial! hahahahaha

Edited by Jewbacca

It's actually been one of my big bug bears since the demise of the cork tree trail in Tokai, and since they made all the trails 'down only'.

Jonkers post Canaries and that really awkward sandy trail also made great practice climbing technical trails and punching up obstacles while having to pedal and keep momentum.

I don't like climbing fire roads and I find the monotony of fire roads straight into balls deep down trails a bit much.

I mean, look, I love it, but it all pangs a little of same same, same same.....

Look at me complaining like a millenial! hahahahaha

What I remember about the canaries and trails back then were that the trails were a little more natural. Apart from the fact that I seriously like jumps and berms in trails, I prefer a good mix of natural and built stuff. I love looking for things to pop or bank off, but when it looks like a gholfcart track in the mountain it leaves nothing to the imagination, and that bores me. Same for the up, like the fairy garden in Tokai use to be.

Sh*#balls race nerves already set in for me also. First race in a long time.

Did an early morning Plumber today and actually had a semi decent run. Not fast, but controlled at least. If I can do that again on raceday I'll be happy. Bike's in one piece, didn't crash or die.