[Event] EWC 3 Jonkershoek Enduro

Enduro Western Cape

My entry is in. I'm a marshal and hopefully get to ride most of it.

Wifey had a weird look on her face when I asked her for the plaster to strap up my ligament-less finger after entering.

It is the finger I use to pull my back brake lever so she may have a point.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My entry is in. I'm a marshal and hopefully get to ride most of it.

Wifey had a weird look on her face when I asked her for the plaster to strap up my ligament-less finger after entering.

It is the finger I use to pull my back brake lever so she may have a point.

It's not like you use your brakes much anyway! Maybe it's why you have a non-working finger, but that's besides the point...

CONFIRMED: we will set up a Cadence Nutrition water point at the end of stage 3 for the enduro this weekend.

We will have the following available for the bad a$$ trail shredders:

• Carbofuel energy and hydration mix
  • Water
  • Classic energy gels
  • Carbofuel energy bars
  • Piesangs
  • ASS MAGIC sample sachets - not to be consumed, but for those that are having a long day out there ;)

Looking forward to seeing you guys and girls at Jonkershoek.

Do you guys ride Single Ply tyres or is it best to go for DH type tyres?I currently run DD Tyres but was wondering if i can get away with Single Ply, especially for the top section of Armageddon that requires quite a bit of pedalling.Where can i get a 2.5 DHF/R 27.5 Single ply in CPT?

Do you guys ride Single Ply tyres or is it best to go for DH type tyres?I currently run DD Tyres but was wondering if i can get away with Single Ply, especially for the top section of Armageddon that requires quite a bit of pedalling.Where can i get a 2.5 DHF/R 27.5 Single ply in CPT?

Single ply is fine (Exo in Maxxis). Jonkershoek rocks are not sharp - I personally have not had a single sidewall cut or buggered up tyre/rims in Jonkershoek on any of the trails and I am heavy. All of the guys I ride with also use single ply without any issues.

You should be able to get from Stoke - they usually carry a nice variety of gravity oriented tread patterns.

Don't. Doubledown is significantly tougher than Exo Plus, and for the rear I wouldn't have anything less strong. Just my opinion, but why go for something that you know is weaker, just for the 200g saving. On the front, yeah sure. 

Stoke will have, if you really want them. 

BTW: If your current DD rear isn't worn, don't change it JUST to get a lighter casing. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Thanks guys.Ill keep the DD in the back and get a Single ply for the front.I was just hoping the DD would allow me to smash through Rock Gardens harder.Im usually quite light on my Wheels but it would be nice to just Bulldoze through the Rocky sections.I think ill compensate for the pedally sections by keeping my suspension in Trail Mode.I did Armageddon in Trail Mode and it felt great.It was a bit more challenging to clear the small Double on Zululand.Its the one that clears the S-bend B-line.Its important to clear that one.Any of you guys ride in Trail Mode?

CONFIRMED: we will set up a Cadence Nutrition water point at the end of stage 3 for the enduro this weekend.

We will have the following available for the bad a$$ trail shredders:

• Carbofuel energy and hydration mix
  • Water
  • Classic energy gels
  • Carbofuel energy bars
  • Piesangs
  • ASS MAGIC sample sachets - not to be consumed, but for those that are having a long day out there ;)

Looking forward to seeing you guys and girls at Jonkershoek.

What will you have for us non bad a$$ non shredders?   :ph34r:

Thanks guys.Ill keep the DD in the back and get a Single ply for the front.I was just hoping the DD would allow me to smash through Rock Gardens harder.Im usually quite light on my Wheels but it would be nice to just Bulldoze through the Rocky sections.I think ill compensate for the pedally sections by keeping my suspension in Trail Mode.I did Armageddon in Trail Mode and it felt great.It was a bit more challenging to clear the small Double on Zululand.Its the one that clears the S-bend B-line.Its important to clear that one.Any of you guys ride in Trail Mode?

If the trail dictates, yeah. And DD / SG / Blk Dmnd casigns definitely help if you like to smash!

I have actually taken some KOM's in trail mode(at the back) shows that whats comfortable is not always faster. But I think my Fox DPS middle mode is purely LSC which blows off once you get into the big hits.

I'd like to try and get to Jonkers once this week, ride lower Plumer, and Iron Monkey. But in the end its just a race, and I'm not going to be winning anything either.

Edited by Bos

BBBRRRR.... You cold dawg.... you cold!

Looking forward to trying out some of your science drinks and and letting you apply some ass magic for me..... :eek:

With or without the applicator stick?

Did what will probably be my last ride before Saturday last night, checking tire pressures and suspension settup. I'm going pretty firm/supporting in the suspension department. Did the second half of the ride in the dark, and the rear was not exactly feeling plush. I find one tunes in on stuff like suspension a bit more than usual in the dark. So maybe just mind games.

If one gets it wrong, it can be a long day of puzzling & pondering while climbing to the various trail heads, which is my worse.