Which Multitool

ABrooks

I am considering getting a new multitool, my current one is at it's end and the hex keys don't reach everywhere.

What multitool do you use and what do you like/dislike about it? If you have to buy one now which would you buy?

Also one last thing, why doesn't more multitools have a small knife as part of the tools? To me it feels like such an essential thing to have with while out riding.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also looking to buy a new multitool , my old one is ok ,but when I needed it the most i found that the hex keys are too short and cannot reach all everywhere , to me a chain breaker  and hex keys are essential and if possible a small pliers

Agree on the knife...

I have a Lezyne, think its from the CRV range, already a couple of years old. Chainbreaker is easy and practical to use but not intended for assembly line use, littlest hex key is L-shaped which makes it annoying to use as it reduces the tool reach and requires you to rotate the tool and your hand in tight places like adjusting derailleur and dropper lever.

The small multi tools with lots functions seem to have very short hex keys.

PhilipV rides with the wrap tool, and I will always ask for his even if I have a multi-tool on me. Very ergonomic, almost as if you are working with propper workshop tools.

The wrap toolkit looks very nice. Might put that on the list as well.

Yeah it's a common problem with multi-tools, not just the bits that are too short, but the bulkiness of the tool will often jam up somewhere. Best is to carry some normal loose hex keys in the sizes you need, they are cheap, small and light. Get the chrome plated ones, the black oxide ones don't endure regular sweat and sports-drink contact well.

I also standardise my bike to only use hex, so no torx, flat, phillips or whatever else. This negates most of the need to carry a multi-tool in the first place.

That being said, my vote for best multi-tool currently on the market goes to Farr's MT13 (or similar, as this tool can also be found under other brands).

mt13-closed-2-768x768.jpg

After our re-build project I am re-thinking the logic of a multi-tool ....

The chain-breaker and TWO off the allan keys are the only tools on the multi-tool that could have been used ..... the rest of the tools used were cable cutters and an assortment of other tools.

I DONT know the optimal answer .... just beginning to wonder about the logic of a "multi-tool" that is not fir for OUR purpose ....

PhilipV rides with the wrap tool, and I will always ask for his even if I have a multi-tool on me. Very ergonomic, almost as if you are working with propper workshop tools.

And the tools fit the screw heads snugly so you don't round out the sockets wrecking the screw.

Road or MTB?

Urban or remote?

The further from civilization you go, the more I'd recommend adding a leatherman or swiss army knife on top of a bike-specific tool.  Something with a sizeable knife.

At the moment this is one of my options. Blackburn Wayside.

https://www.buycycle.co.za/workshop/tools/blackburn-wayside-multi-tool/

It has a small knife and removable Allen keys, so that is a big plus. Downsides are that it lacks a 10mm hex and it doesn't come with a pouch which feels essential as it has loose Allen keys. 

The wayside is probably all the multitool you'll ever need. If blackburn offered it with a WrapStrap tool belt it would be a winner

For a knife I just carry a small blade of a utility knife. Very minimalistic and light but it is is just to cut off a plug end to not rub against the frame.

http://shop.technopro.co.za/bmz_cache/2/2aebba3edd7310a846ea26362d412679.image.650x650.png