Freedom Challenge Commentary

tubed

Graham and JT arrived at GE at about 01:30. Getting ready to leave. We are expecting Arno and Alex any moment now.

Thank you very much. Looks like JT has a few hours sleep.

Arno is going slower than expected, wonder why?

Great of you to keep us updated!

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you very much. Looks like JT has a few hours sleep.

Arno is going slower than expected, wonder why?

Great of you to keep us updated!

Arno left at 07:30.

Wondering whats up with Scott James tracker? Masakala at just before 9pm last night.... and no update thereafter.

Has he moved on after Marty or just catching some extended shut eye with tracker off?

:mellow:

Wondering whats up with Scott James tracker? Masakala at just before 9pm last night.... and no update thereafter.

Has he moved on after Marty or just catching some extended shut eye with tracker off?

:mellow:

Scott James pulled out at Masakala last night.

Think he might go a bit more defensive this time as he payed for that under two days into Rhodes with a bit of hard struggle the days after.

Unless he wants to redo the Trigger Alex to chase to blow him to bits early again. But then this year there are a few Alex harris clones running spare around ;)

I think Martin is looking at the record rather than focussing on the other riders. 

Gavin and Fjord arrived at 08:30 and left at 08:50. Leon and Liehann and Leon in 08:50 and out 09:15. Glen Edward support station has been closed for the 2019 Freedom Challenge. Was great seeing everyone again.

One of my favourite intermediate support stations! 

Who knows...if the universe transpires.... maybe next year.  ^_^

I think Martin is looking at the record rather than focussing on the other riders. 

Agreed.

I think he is sub 10 days or bust. 

The other guys must just get through their races with their plans... attrition is a very real thing on a 10-13 day race

Think he might go a bit more defensive this time as he payed for that under two days into Rhodes with a bit of hard struggle the days after.

Unless he wants to redo the Trigger Alex to chase to blow him to bits early again. But then this year there are a few Alex harris clones running spare around ;)

There was talk that Martin had been sick for 2 weeks with flu,...... that only 2 days before the start he thought he still had 3 days.

I think you can take a pinch of salt with that talk. He is a wily old fox, and there will no doubt be denials of it but he is well known for playing mindgames to gain a little edge. (if i remember correctly) Alex went poof very early last time they had an FC duel, and Mart was already well up the road when he called it quits at Glen Edward. Tweet knows him from paddling and AR days and is probably the one who can avoid chasing him needlessly the most.

He lives in maritzburg and will know this section the best, he could well be looking to put a bit of breathing space into the pack and it would be demoralizing putting these miles in to know that there's a guy further up the road making you look slow.

Thing is if you break 10days, you should win the race. (if not then the winner really deserves it anyway).

****all total speculation, which is the divine right of the dot watcher****

Derrick Bingham having a bad day 

I would namechange to Pierre Oosthuizen to like this post.

Apparently Derrick has form for this so should have looked for a reliable wheel to follow as many others have done before.

Ol 'thunder bolt MD , looks like he just bled through Chesneywold in a blink at10.40am.

What a machine! Just keeps going! 

A strong mind, a whole lotta courage and looks like stamina for days!!

Doesn't get more hardcore than this!......