Heart rate advise needed

quentin1980

I used my Garmin heart rate belt for the first time yesterday did 88 km in 2:47:00 average 31.6 and heart rate average was 153 BPM and max 176 BPM at what rate should a person train and when are you over doing it I am 38 years old and weight 80kg

It varies from person to person. There is the rough guide of 220 minus your age which indicates your max HR, but I can still hit a max of 202bpm and I can relatively comfortably sit at an average of 180bpm for a 3 hour race at age 28.

Some people engines just rev higher. Kinda like V-Tec which only kicks in at high rpms. Other people have big old V8's which work better at low rpms.

I have checked with my doctor and everything is safe. So perhaps it would be a good idea to chat to your doctor about it as well.

I used my Garmin heart rate belt for the first time yesterday did 88 km in 2:47:00 average 31.6 and heart rate average was 153 BPM and max 176 BPM at what rate should a person train and when are you over doing it I am 38 years old and weight 80kg

Sounds like a nice normal tempo sesh. I did a 3 hour race a few weeks back with HR avg at 173 and HR max of 198. I'm 31. Sleeping HR drops down to 30-34 BPM at night.

Don't think you have to worry..

Might be worth reading up a bit about training in different heart rate zones and Training Stress Scores(TSS) now that you have the HR strap.

Edited by JohanDiv

I wouldn't worry too much with your heart rate being at an average of 153bpm. I'm the same age as you are and mine sometimes goes over 180 but at no point do I feel like the end is nigh. 

Why not use the Karvonen method to work out what your heart should be? The 220 less your age is very broad. 

I wouldn't worry too much with your heart rate being at an average of 153bpm. I'm the same age as you are and mine sometimes goes over 180 but at no point do I feel like the end is nigh. 

Why not use the Karvonen method to work out what your heart should be? The 220 less your age is very broad. 

Will play with this ...

A buddy and I cycle together, and his hart rate is always about 20bpm higher than mine ... with mine being very low.  My hart rate is a lot lower than the "220 - age" ....

As they said, HR is a very personal thing.

I did a tad over 3 hour session over the weekend, with an avg HR of 168bpm and a max of 186bpm. This is at the tender age of 54.

Best way to gauge your max HR is to get a nice long climb where you can keep a constant tempo, and push it as hard as you can. Recover for a few minutes and repeat. The max HR you record should be close to your real max.

Just as an aside, I can still push up to 192bpm, without any ill effects. As I said, every person is different, and no "formula" can correctly predict it, without you testing it.

Ha Ha -- amazing - if I hit 186 bpm it would probably be seconds before I flatlined.

On a long race pushing hard I might average 144 with a max of 169 or 170 .... and I'm a wet behind the ears 50 yrs old.

As they said, HR is a very personal thing.

I did a tad over 3 hour session over the weekend, with an avg HR of 168bpm and a max of 186bpm. This is at the tender age of 54.

Best way to gauge your max HR is to get a nice long climb where you can keep a constant tempo, and push it as hard as you can. Recover for a few minutes and repeat. The max HR you record should be close to your real max.

Just as an aside, I can still push up to 192bpm, without any ill effects. As I said, every person is different, and no "formula" can correctly predict it, without you testing it.

A 144bpm avg ride for me is a soft pedaling, recovery session.  :whistling: (my best / worst recorded session ever, was a 1 hr Killarney session with an avg of 179, max of 189) 

But let's not hijack this thread.

Ha Ha -- amazing - if I hit 186 bpm it would probably be seconds before I flatlined.

On a long race pushing hard I might average 144 with a max of 169 or 170 .... and I'm a wet behind the ears 50 yrs old.

must be a 50's thing ... I am clocking same average on harder rides, with my max being 160 to 165.  

PS - these numbers have gradually increased as my fitness increased .... let's see what the next year holds as I push the limits a bit further ....

186 is my running LTHR

Yep it is like a broad indication - if you say that formula is correct on average it actually means for half of people the value is too low and for the other half the value is too high.

To the OP, easiest way to find out what numbers are valid for you is to record a number of rides & races over time and compare the results

Try go to an experienced coach to do a LTHR (Lactic threshold heart rate) test to determine your heart rate training zones.

You can also do the test yourself on an indoor trainer or suitable outdoor course,

google "how to determine LTHR zones for cycling"

Heres a link to a popular option:

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/joe-friel-s-quick-guide-to-setting-zones/

You can also use RPE (Rate of perceived exertion) as a simple guide until you do a proper test:

Basically when the effort feels hard or very hard and talking in normal sentences becomes difficult....the HR at that effort will be close to your LTHR

Have fun

A more accurate prediction of your maximal Heart Rate is as follows:

• HRmax = 206.9 - (0.67 x age)

As suggested it's better to try and do some testing to get this info. A LTHR or FTP test can give you a good indication of your "threshold heart rate". A VO2max or ramp test (1min steps ~ 20W increments) would be the best indicator of your specific training zones and maximum heart rate as well as your threshold.

Once you have your threshold heart rate you want the bulk of your riding time (~80%) to be at 55-70% of Threshold HR with the rest of your training (~20%) at higher intensities (above threshold). 

Tuks HPC would probably be your best bet for a VO2max test in your region

Don't use standard formulas.  As Wannabe and a few other said.  Do a Test.  When I bought my first Polar I did a course with Polar and they also advised the same way as Wannabe said to do a test yourself.  Just a tip before you do a test, make sure you are well rested and warmed up properly before the test.

I used that method along with some training plan stuff Polar provided with very good results in the past.

It is also advised to redo a test every after every couple of months to ensure the levels are still relevant.