Dirty cyclists banned

fabs

10 cyclists have been banned for littering outside of the "green zones" during the recent Nove Colli 2019.

Following video evidence along the route, these cyclists will not be allowed to compete in the 2020 edition.

This is probably the equivalent of our Argus Cycle Tour, and I wish the same initiative could be done in this country.

For any of you understanding Italian, or want to do a google translate, here is the original Italian text below.

=================================================================================

Dieci ciclisti della Nove Colli squalificati dagli organizzatori per aver gettato rifiuti

A seguito delle segnalazioni ricevute da parte delle guardie Ecologiche e delle rivelazioni avvenute tramite i sistemi di video sorveglianza, per aver gettato rifiuti fuori dalle ecozone prestabilite

Sono stati 10 i ciclisti squalificati dall’organizzazione della granfondo Nove Colli, a seguito delle segnalazioni ricevute da parte delle guardie Ecologiche e delle rivelazioni avvenute tramite i sistemi di video sorveglianza, per aver gettato rifiuti fuori dalle ecozone prestabilite. Come da Regolamento di gara, sezione 28.3, i partecipanti rei del fatto sono stati squalificati per l’edizione 2019 e non potranno prendere parte a quella del 2020. “Abbiamo analizzato con cura i video a disposizione e abbiamo squalificato quelli che hanno volontariamente gettato rifiuti fuori della ecozone” dice il presidente Alessandro Spada “devo dire che mi aspettavo molta più gente in flagrante; evidentemente le segnalazioni prima e durante la manifestazione hanno avuto il loro peso. Mi piace anche pensare che l’educazione civica dei ciclisti stia migliorando. In qualsiasi caso noi continueremo la nostra lotta, fino ad arrivare ad avere una Nove Colli completamente Green”.

thats amazing.

it always kills me to watch okes take a gel then throw it into bushes rather than pocket it.

happens in A group 2-3 times per race

Edited by Furbz

thats amazing.

it always kills me to watch okes take a gel then throw it into bushes rather than pocket it.

happens in A group 2-3 times per race

I agree! Why throw a gel wrapper into the bushes when there is a perfectly good river or stream to throw it into.

This is great! can't remember what that young guy who I tackled coming down Chappies was but he'd be on the list, dirty bastard... He even slowed down cause he didn't feel like me ranting on his ass for throwing his bottle into the bushes. 

I agree! Why throw a gel wrapper into the bushes when there is a perfectly good river or stream to throw it into.

Vettes ek like jou nuwe profile pic stukkend.........jy is so 'n groot inspirasie met die Munga!!!

I did the Nove Colli the last 3 years. Nothing fancy about the green Zones- just a sign showing the beginning and the end of the zone. What makes it work is the enforcement of the rule.

We struggle to ban dopers .....

I once blew a gasket at an oke littering in VA. In retrospect I probably embarrassed myself horribly, but there you are. A better approach is the one I took when Cherise formerly Stander casually threw her energy bar wrapper down while in convo, picked it up and handed it back and said 'you dropped something'. Got a funny look that day.

I once blew a gasket at an oke littering in VA. In retrospect I probably embarrassed myself horribly, but there you are. A better approach is the one I took when Cherise formerly Stander casually threw her energy bar wrapper down while in convo, picked it up and handed it back and said 'you dropped something'. Got a funny look that day.

I love doing this, I feel like a douche but I get a little kick at that stupid face that person gives you... But in saying that I'm from Cape Town and I always expect a response of "You musn't push" 

I was at the traffic lights one day and this chick threw her stompie out so I did another douche bag thing and parked in front of her ( I was commuting on my MTB) and I showed her that she dropped something and she was so confused I eventually picked up her stompie and gave it back to her... :-) 

Good idea. Only problem if they will implement it at the CTCT (aka Argus), then the following year there were propably only be 5 - 10 batches to start the next year.

I will admit that years ago I thought nothing about chucking my gel sachet but then in the last few years I have been a lot more aware of the negative impact. I now get irritated with myself if the little top tear off comes right off and blows away. I only use about 4/5 gels for most races so they start in my right pocket and used ones go into left pocket. I have yet to see a race that doesn't have a bin at the finish so it's not like I even have to worry about leaving it in my pocket and it getting washed. It's now a habit to empty it at the finish, it really isn't a mission. There is no excuse to chucking your rubbish. Stash your trash!

I will admit that years ago I thought nothing about chucking my gel sachet but then in the last few years I have been a lot more aware of the negative impact. I now get irritated with myself if the little top tear off comes right off and blows away. I only use about 4/5 gels for most races so they start in my right pocket and used ones go into left pocket. I have yet to see a race that doesn't have a bin at the finish so it's not like I even have to worry about leaving it in my pocket and it getting washed. It's now a habit to empty it at the finish, it really isn't a mission. There is no excuse to chucking your rubbish. Stash your trash!

+1

When I started using gels everyone just chucked the sachets, so I followed suit. Like you I have changed to stashing them in my pocket and emptying at the end. 

It does make things a bit sticky in the pocket, so you need to dedicate one pocket to trash only. But after a wash its all clean again.

In this year's Argus, passing through Miller's Point, there was a couple baboons running around with the rangers following them with paint ball guns to keep them out of the road. One rather largish male was running up the road, grabbing all the empty gel sachets and stuffing them in it's mouth. 

I was just so disappointed to watch fellow cyclists still tossing their gel sachets while all this was happening. Vloeking them made no difference. Starting a brawl, as much as I wanted to smack some people, would also not help at all.

People are seriously getting more retarded by the day. I have reached the conclusion that people just don't give a flying fart anymore, and have become hyper narcissistic in that life is only about them, and what they want. To hell with the rest.