EWC 2019  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which are you riding?

• Contermans
    • Hoogekraal
    • Jonkers
    • All the above
  2. 2. Recceing the route(s)?

• Hells to the yes, got to beat my buds for beer bragging rights!
    • Riding blind as bat, but riding like a bat outa hell!
    • I am a f-ing LOCAL PRO. Recceing is for newbs
  3. 3. Are you going Full Enduro?

• Only way I ride yo!
    • Never go full enduro!
    • What is this?

It's gonna be the new "I did the Argus on my mtb with knoblies" thing for #enduro. 

New?

pfffft.... We rode these enduro's a few years ago on non dropper post fully rigid Single speeds!

#lettheoneuppingcommence

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to read, and hear elsewhere of all the positive remarks and lekker vibes from yesterday....glad we (Tygerberg MTB Club) are helping to bring the stoke back !

Edited by The Captain

Would you say you could have had more fun on a Trail bike? After your first would you like to get a longer travel bike with dropper?

I would say so, yes. Mainline on an XCO bike wouldn't be my definition of fun. But he was burning up them hills pretty fast. :P

New?

pfffft.... We rode these enduro's a few years ago on non dropper post fully rigid Single speeds!

#lettheoneuppingcommence

Yep. Enduro = nothing more than timed trail riding with a good bunch of people. 

New?

#lettheoneuppingcommence

but you mostlikely used those extra thick ESI grips ... so your fully rigid argument is out the window :P

The fleshy gibbon trying to control it... 

mebe nothing's wrong, and everything is as it should be under the status quo?

New?

#lettheoneuppingcommence

Yeah. I’m waiting for the oke with his gravel grinder and tri bars to up the ante.

I did the Hoogekraal enduro last year after the hype over the new improved timing system. 

I was very disappointed as 2 or 3 other people also had issues with the timing. I would come to where the guy would tag you out and he was not able to do so immediately. After 3 or 4 tries, then it would work. Also I was riding with a couple of buddies. The guy behind me had times that was 2 to 3 seconds faster, while I was 3 or 4 bikes out in front of him. It is what it is.

Has anyone else experienced this? or is it just me?

Is it still the same tag in and tag out office time log system? 

Same tag in and tag out system. I had one that did not pick me up immediately so that probably cost me a second, maybe two. It gets better every race. At least my draught was cold and boerie roll warm..

Edited by lock

Does that mean it was a buttery smooth Epiceque kind of stages since a dropper wasn't needed? :ph34r:

asking for a friend

???????????? it was squeaky bum all the way ????

Would you say you could have had more fun on a Trail bike? After your first would you like to get a longer travel bike with dropper?

definitely but I’m not going to rush out and make that purchase at this stage after just one race.

I did the Hoogekraal enduro last year after the hype over the new improved timing system.

I was very disappointed as 2 or 3 other people also had issues with the timing. I would come to where the guy would tag you out and he was not able to do so immediately. After 3 or 4 tries, then it would work. Also I was riding with a couple of buddies. The guy behind me had times that was 2 to 3 seconds faster, while I was 3 or 4 bikes out in front of him. It is what it is.

Has anyone else experienced this? or is it just me?

Is it still the same tag in and tag out office time log system?

Is it possible that your mate three or four bikes behind you managed to whittle a 20 seconds headstart down to 10 or 15 seconds?

That was the first time we used it. There was a bit of a learning curve for all involved.

In the mean time some things have changed.

The tag now sits underneath your wrist.

You tag yourself in at start of stage, and a marshal tags you out at the bottom.

With the tag at the bottom of your wrist it is easier for the marshals.

What I have learned from a marshals perspective:

It also makes life easier for the marshals if your sleeves are pulled up a bit, and the red tag is easily identifiable and not buried under a long sleeve or a jacket.

Tagging is easier when it's a two handed affair. Timing pod is in my left hand, swung from the bottom, meeting my right hand that is on top of the strap on your wrist (that I found easily because your sleeve wasn't in the way.)

Come to a dead stop in front of the marshal, if your are moving the marshal wont grab your arm to tag you, and marshall won't move if you blow past him.

The tag needs to be in contact race with the pod for at least a second, so being stationary is a given, making running starts or foot up starts at the self start nigh impossible. Also why you need to be at a dead stop at the marshal at the bottom.

And at the starts for some reason riders don't put the tag on the blue bit marked "scan" and try to swipe over the lcd screen. Don't swipe, rest your wrist on top of the blue, when you hear the BeepBeep put your foot on and GO!

But let's be honest, the wait to hear the tag seems like an eternity, but it is hardly more than three seconds. I'm saying this as a marshal who heckled a fellow marshal for a slow tag on Sunday. It was two Seconds at most....

I would say so, yes. Mainline on an XCO bike wouldn't be my definition of fun. But he was burning up them hills pretty fast. :P

hahaha I did warn you that I’m slow on the downhills. Besides I had to beat that strong headwind that was picking up the longer we were out there. The early guys definitely had the advantage of the early start. Next one I’ll be keeping a close eye on the weather.

Just out of interest sake, how long do these events take? I need to put time aside with the wife/kids, normally on a XC event I know what I'm in for, but Enduro? No clue.

If you have podium aspirations, best get your family to partake in the post race boerie roll and prize giving vibe.

If not, start in the first batch, get to the start of stage 1 early, and don't wait and have a tea party at the start and end of each stage. Then you'll work through it relatively fast and spend less time waiting and get to the beer and Braai at the bottom faster. Prize giving is usually about 2-3pm (I didn't wait for it this time.)

Jy is mos 'n Helderberg Local? Kom ry saam ons een of ander tyd, dan stel ek jou aan die Grease Monkey voor, as jy saam met hulle deur die stages kan werk sal dit nie te lank vat nie, en jy het geselskap. Pm my jou nommer dan maak ons 'n plan.

Jy is mos 'n Helderberg Local? Kom ry saam ons een of ander tyd, dan stel ek jou aan die Grease Monkey voor, as jy saam met hulle deur die stages kan werk sal dit nie te lank vat nie, en jy het geselskap. Pm my jou nommer dan maak ons 'n plan.

Ok lekker!

Plan is to ride Helderberg tomorrow after work, GSpot on Thursday and Jonkers Saturday. If you guys are riding any of those days I would love to join you.

Sal jou my nommer gou PM