EWC 2019  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which are you riding?

• Contermans
    • Hoogekraal
    • Jonkers
    • All the above
  2. 2. Recceing the route(s)?

• Hells to the yes, got to beat my buds for beer bragging rights!
    • Riding blind as bat, but riding like a bat outa hell!
    • I am a f-ing LOCAL PRO. Recceing is for newbs
  3. 3. Are you going Full Enduro?

• Only way I ride yo!
    • Never go full enduro!
    • What is this?

Soi want to get into the Enduro scene but first need a new steed.... What are you guys currently sitting on?

I currently ride a Giant Anthem.... Anything in the 30k -40k range would do.

There was a couple of hardtails with varying amounts of travel, and a few short travel fullsus bikes.

Hoogekraal and the Amarider enduros are best to check out if you like the format with a "short" bike.

I did my first two seasons on a BMC Fourstroke and I didn't die. In fact I had a jol. Come and join us regardless of whether you have an enduro bike.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the Hoogekraal enduro last year after the hype over the new improved timing system.

I was very disappointed as 2 or 3 other people also had issues with the timing. I would come to where the guy would tag you out and he was not able to do so immediately. After 3 or 4 tries, then it would work. Also I was riding with a couple of buddies. The guy behind me had times that was 2 to 3 seconds faster, while I was 3 or 4 bikes out in front of him. It is what it is.

Has anyone else experienced this? or is it just me?

Is it still the same tag in and tag out office time log system?

I also had the scanning out issue on 2 of the stages, probably also only cost me about 2-3 seconds but it does feel like an eternity.

Is it possible that your mate three or four bikes behind you managed to whittle a 20 seconds headstart down to 10 or 15 seconds?

That was the first time we used it. There was a bit of a learning curve for all involved.

In the mean time some things have changed.

The tag now sits underneath your wrist.

You tag yourself in at start of stage, and a marshal tags you out at the bottom.

With the tag at the bottom of your wrist it is easier for the marshals.

What I have learned from a marshals perspective:

It also makes life easier for the marshals if your sleeves are pulled up a bit, and the red tag is easily identifiable and not buried under a long sleeve or a jacket.

Tagging is easier when it's a two handed affair. Timing pod is in my left hand, swung from the bottom, meeting my right hand that is on top of the strap on your wrist (that I found easily because your sleeve wasn't in the way.)

Come to a dead stop in front of the marshal, if your are moving the marshal wont grab your arm to tag you, and marshall won't move if you blow past him.

The tag needs to be in contact race with the pod for at least a second, so being stationary is a given, making running starts or foot up starts at the self start nigh impossible. Also why you need to be at a dead stop at the marshal at the bottom.

And at the starts for some reason riders don't put the tag on the blue bit marked "scan" and try to swipe over the lcd screen. Don't swipe, rest your wrist on top of the blue, when you hear the BeepBeep put your foot on and GO!

But let's be honest, the wait to hear the tag seems like an eternity, but it is hardly more than three seconds. I'm saying this as a marshal who heckled a fellow marshal for a slow tag on Sunday. It was two Seconds at most....

3 to 4 bikes in front consistently is a big gap, on one stage he blew pass the timing point, probably by 20m and then walked to be tagged in. His tag took immediately and mine on the 4th try as he was walking back. 

But ja, just wanted to know if its still the same timing system and if anyone had issues tagging in and out thanks.

3 to 4 bikes in front consistently is a big gap, on one stage he blew pass the timing point, probably by 20m and then walked to be tagged in. His tag took immediately and mine on the 4th try as he was walking back.

But ja, just wanted to know if its still the same timing system and if anyone had issues tagging in and out thanks.

Tagging out, yes, bottom of st3 had the reader zip tied to a tree before we (3 of us) got there and gave the Marshall a bit of *** for that instead of facilitating the tag himself. That's it. Otherwise no issue except at the start tag, where you just WANT to go but have to wait. Patience isn't a strong suit with some people.

Tagging out, yes, bottom of st3 had the reader zip tied to a tree before we (3 of us) got there and gave the Marshall a bit of *** for that instead of facilitating the tag himself. That's it. Otherwise no issue except at the start tag, where you just WANT to go but have to wait. Patience isn't a strong suit with some people.

Stage 3 I also blew straight past the timing pod and stopped next to someone with a phone - kinda just stared at the oke expecting him to tag me out before realising I need to turn around... but that was just because the was a marshal at the bottom of each stage, and at this stage there was not.

Other than that, starts I found easy enough, and tagging out you just slam on the brakes and keep your bar on the wrist push down with yout wrist to expose the tag - I had no issues tagging out fast on stages 1,2,4,5.

There was a couple of hardtails with varying amounts of travel, and a few short travel fullsus bikes.

Hoogekraal and the Amarider enduros are best to check out if you like the format with a "short" bike.

I did my first two seasons on a BMC Fourstroke and I didn't die. In fact I had a jol. Come and join us regardless of whether you have an enduro bike.

i will surely join once i get my fitness up....havent been on my bike for more than a month now but all the time thinking #Enduro.

I am currently looking at the Merida 140 800 and the Silverback Surface.... Hopefully after i get the other half a Mexican Black King she will let me look at the YT Jeffsy  :whistling:  :ph34r:

A group of 5 of us drove down from Port Elizabeth EC and we loved it!!! We are aiming to do the full series.

This was my 1st enduro in SA i did a few in USA last year and we are actually slowly but surely getting there with this race format in SA. we road the dirt compound the day before and smashed the enduro completely blind. One of our guys came 1st in the u21 and rode completely blind!!

That wall of a sprint climb halfway down stage 4 definitely destroyed a few guys!

Going to do a lot of upper body work before the next event!

For a real challenge you need a BMX bike. We all know modern marathon bikes are #enduro as f#$k.

Do they have a BMX category? I'm keen and might just podium! 

post-3951-0-15086900-1560262528_thumb.jpegpost-3951-0-60094100-1560262517_thumb.jpeg

In all fairness if you watch(ed) this video before Sunday you would’ve known where the scanner was going to be and that it wasn’t going to be marshaled either.

Luckily for me there was somebody sitting there shouting exactly where to expect it.

Just rock up on one. You'll probably get a prize just 'cos. 

When is the next one over at Hoogies? Might need to source a beemer and a Elvis suit.

Make entry. Eyes up this little beauty. 

s-l800.jpg

Nice Rims are those, alloy or Plastic? Looks like you went for a session on the Promenade?

Yes! Also entered for Hoogekraal.

Will I die if I ride this without all the protective gear? I ride OG at Helderberg at least once a week with no elbow/knee pads, given, not as fast as the pro's though.