Magic mary's.

Johnny 55

Literally just ordered a Magic Mary 27.5x2.35 Super Gravity for the rear of my bike. Tried a Maxiss DHR2 EXO+ adn second ride in it died on a rock in Tokai. FFS! Cannot trust their sidewalls anymore. Maybe in DD or DH, but then you're in the same/heavier mass than the Super Gravity and then they only come in what can be considered a traditional "front" tread pattern. So it will be Mary rear and Spez Eliminator GRID front for a while!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Literally just ordered a Magic Mary 27.5x2.35 Super Gravity for the rear of my bike. Tried a Maxiss DHR2 EXO+ adn second ride in it died on a rock in Tokai. FFS! Cannot trust their sidewalls anymore. Maybe in DD or DH, but then you're in the same/heavier mass than the Super Gravity and then they only come in what can be considered a traditional "front" tread pattern. So it will be Mary rear and Spez Eliminator GRID front for a while!

also regarding the "normal"  Schwalbe line,  ive noticed that none (that ive seen) of the locals stock the new Apex sidewalls in the new tires though...

i brought in my own set from the UK in Addix/APEX/snakeskin an it looks different to the usual ones with a more pronounced pattern/reinforcement  on the sidewall

"The new APEX casing uses a double layer of material on the tire sidewalls in addition to the SnakeSkin fabric layer. The 'TL Easy' logo means that the tire will work tubeless from the get-go, with no air seepage through the sidewalls. It basically lands smack in the middle of a Super Gravity casing and an Evo Snakeskin"

edit: found a pic of mine 

post-64325-0-54337100-1562828776_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-90744700-1562829288_thumb.jpeg

Edited by morneS555

@ the OP.

Some people giving you advice on here have more km's in their mouse hand than their legs. So take your advice from whence it comes.

I've never done k2c but 100km and 1600m of climbing on a set of gravity tires seems like a really really bad idea to me. Plus if you do any training before the event on them you'll chow through them quite quickly.

@ the OP.

Some people giving you advice on here have more km's in their mouse hand than their legs. So take your advice from whence it comes.

I've never done k2c but 100km and 1600m of climbing on a set of gravity tires seems like a really really bad idea to me. Plus if you do any training before the event on them you'll chow through them quite quickly.

Front no prob. I did K2C in 2011 on a 26"Spez enduro, with the stock tyres at the time being Butcher and something on the back. Don't recall. Get the Mary out front, don't bother with it on the rear for K2C. Move you current front to the back if you wanna save $$. You're not racing it anyway so just go play. And overtake a bazillion people on that first jeeptrack descent where all the roadents are k@kking themselves.

Get a WTB Trailboss.

They are awesome, used them everywhere has lots of grip right up to where you pushing the limit at high speed, then it gets kinda sketchy but still holds. I havent had it break loos just yet on the HT. I have it front and back and on the back of my dual sus.  I have to say I am a WTB convert. I wont comment on the other brands, but the trailboss is worthy a consideration as you can do everything with it.

Get a WTB Trailboss.

They are awesome, used them everywhere has lots of grip right up to where you pushing the limit at high speed, then it gets kinda sketchy but still holds. I havent had it break loos just yet on the HT. I have it front and back and on the back of my dual sus.  I have to say I am a WTB convert. I wont comment on the other brands, but the trailboss is worthy a consideration as you can do everything with it.

What about the sidewall protection? For rear tyres one has to consider that. For front tyres it's generally not a concern.

Hi guys. Im thinking about getting a pair.of Magic marys. I mostly ride rocky, technical terrain but i also have to do the k2c again this year. Are they slow tyres for the k2c or will they be good for the hectic climbs waiting in the k2c? Thanks.

Hang on a second.. just getting my flamesuit out..

OK, ready: Are you sure you need Marys in Stillbay? Taking into consideration, that unless its a mudfest, not even Shwable sponsord EWS riders are going " FULL MARY". 

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/3-pro-bikes-from-ews-tasmania-2019.html

I would even go as far as asking, do you really need a Mary in front, if you're also looking at doing some longer rides? How bout Nobby Nic rear Hans Dampf front? The new Hans Dampf gets good reviews, only really getting knocked down for wet roots, which is not a big WC concern.

What are you on at the moment? I ride a Razor Rock on the rear, and It rolls like a XC tire, When I got it, It was as if I was riding with the wind from behind, I couldn't believe the difference. And It wasn't as If I was coming from a Mary, I was coming from a Maxxis Ardent.  It corners properly aswell and comes in a 2.35'' which is  on par with Maxxis 2.4WT or 2.5. Only when Its wet and you riding clay/mud it is a total no-no. 

My Options therefore:

Razor rock R - Mary F

Nobby Nic R- Mary/Hans Dampf F

Hang on a second.. just getting my flamesuit out..

OK, ready: Are you sure you need Marys in Stillbay? Taking into consideration, that unless its a mudfest, not even Shwable sponsord EWS riders are going " FULL MARY". 

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/3-pro-bikes-from-ews-tasmania-2019.html

I would even go as far as asking, do you really need a Mary in front, if you're also looking at doing some longer rides? How bout Nobby Nic rear Hans Dampf front? The new Hans Dampf gets good reviews, only really getting knocked down for wet roots, which is not a big WC concern.

What are you on at the moment? I ride a Razor Rock on the rear, and It rolls like a XC tire, When I got it, It was as if I was riding with the wind from behind, I couldn't believe the difference. And It wasn't as If I was coming from a Mary, I was coming from a Maxxis Ardent.  It corners properly aswell and comes in a 2.35'' which is  on par with Maxxis 2.4WT or 2.5. Only when Its wet and you riding clay/mud it is a total no-no. 

My Options therefore:

Razor rock R - Mary F

Nobby Nic R- Mary/Hans Dampf F

What casing,...?

I had the new Hans recently as a rear tyre, the tread lasted 2.5 months and is now toast. In contrast i put a 6 month old Mary that was on the front to the rear of the bike and it lasted longer. 

Rock Razor/Spez Slaughter (GRID) etc are nice rear tyres for damn sure. But they also do not last long with those low profile knobs.

Neither the Nic of Hans are available in more than Snakeskin locally either. Actually the Nic doesn't even come in SG. For a rear tyre, what's the point of having something less reliable :(

What casing,...?

I had the new Hans recently as a rear tyre, the tread lasted 2.5 months and is now toast. In contrast i put a 6 month old Mary that was on the front to the rear of the bike and it lasted longer. 

Rock Razor/Spez Slaughter (GRID) etc are nice rear tyres for damn sure. But they also do not last long with those low profile knobs.

Neither the Nic of Hans are available in more than Snakeskin locally either. Actually the Nic doesn't even come in SG. For a rear tyre, what's the point of having something less reliable :(

I have only done about 400km on the Razor Rock but its still 100% and its mostly technical riding. Not even sure what the sidewalls are on there. perhaps its because I'm lighter than you? 73kg kitted? I do run the pressure quite high though. 

I also Like the look of the WTB Trailboss Eddy mentions above. 

I have only done about 400km on the Razor Rock but its still 100% and its mostly technical riding. Not even sure what the sidewalls are on there. perhaps its because I'm lighter than you? 73kg kitted? I do run the pressure quite high though. 

400km is OK. Probably the Snakeskin sidewall which is relatively strong, until you're charging over rocks OR make a mistake then a hole ruins yo ride.

I'm probably in the 75/76kg kitted region.

But yeah I would far rather carry around another 150g on the rear tyre and have that safety aspect built in than have my ride ruined...like happened Tuesday with the Maxiss EXO+ casing...again :( I should know better

Have a rock Razor in the rear as well and love it. 300km in and still show minimal signs of wear. The reduced bite when breaking just took a bit of getting used too. Plan to go MM or HD in front to replace my p.o.s. Onza.

(97kg kitted, running it at 1.8 bar)

Have a rock Razor in the rear as well and love it. 300km in and still show minimal signs of wear. The reduced bite when breaking just took a bit of getting used too. Plan to go MM or HD in front to replace my p.o.s. Onza.

(97kg kitted, running it at 1.8 bar)

@ Thermos

Perhaps the point, for the OP, is that many companies make a SS #Enduro type tyre. (E13, Maxxis, WTB.. which comes with different sidewalls.)

@Otero

Good point about the braking grip. I run the rear at 30PSi when I ride Jonkers etc. 28PSI otherwise.

Was also looking at the HD for the front, but might just get a DHF.

400km is OK. Probably the Snakeskin sidewall which is relatively strong, until you're charging over rocks OR make a mistake then a hole ruins yo ride.

I'm probably in the 75/76kg kitted region.

But yeah I would far rather carry around another 150g on the rear tyre and have that safety aspect built in than have my ride ruined...like happened Tuesday with the Maxiss EXO+ casing...again :( I should know better

I don't get you and Myles ..... either you guys are flipping fast super shredders or just plain k@k at being light on the bike and always aim at the sharpest rocks to be wrecking so many tyres ... or both of the above combined :P

I am a good 20kg's more than you in my birthday suit and have never wrecked a EXO casing.

I have had poor success with the previous gen Hans D in snake skin carcass though with punctures through the tread.

hahaha classic.

I have only ever wrecked 1 tire, and it was riding up the stairs in the company gardens. 

I double snake bit the bead when my back wheel hit the bottom step.

Otherwise, with years and tens of thousands of miles in my legs, I have only ever changed worn out or bad tires.

Am I really that slow?