947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

Well a bike race is a business.

But this is only really a race for the full licence folk which gives it some flair/houding. For most though it's a timed mass participation event, more power to them.

40km route is a good idea imho, makes the event and cycling a bit more accessible to the masses.

Having a 40Km is similar to the running races that have a 5Km, 10-15Km and 21-42Km events.

Lost of other races have a short distance, and the CTCT and 947 are only adding them now.

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.  But with all the boodle they are making from the race it would be great to see them incorporate some kind of UCI rated race and in doing so attract overseas teams (the benefits are endless).  Problem is that this costs (them, the organisers) money. 

Surely they could make it the last day of a stage race or slightly longer and then into a one day UCI race?  Or start this UCI race after the (us) weekend riders have finished their (our) fun ride.  There is the option of laps, just look around the world for ideas. 

Over the past 20 or so years of staging the 94.7 cycle event one would think that they have made so much cash that they would say thank you by taking this bold step? 

IMO Cycling SA should make this mandatory for someone pulling off an event of the magnitude of the 94.7 Cycle race.  No brainer really.

Further this is the real way to promote cycling from the bottom up...  :thumbup:

If you were one of the 8hour+ back markers, would you opt for the 40km instead?

No, I wouldn't.

I'm hoping I won't be an 8 hour one  but seeing as its my first time who knows.

So thoughts on the motivation behind no ebikes on the short route, but by omission presumably ebikes allowed on the longer route?

anyone else got half a dozen identical emails from them over the last 2 days ?

Up to 10 emails so far. Some said thanks for entering, others telling me to enter cos it will be damn awesome!!!!!

Sent a snotty response in the unsubscribe. Twice. I was still getting mails after unsubscribing.

:cursing:

I must admit, this year is no.10 for me and probably my last.

Me too, consecutive...............I want that green number and then that's it !

Edited by coppi

I also said that after no15 I will quit last year, but my son needs two more to complete his 10. So I will be stuck at 17 or just push through another 3. Will be difficult to go the event and not ride.

Up to 10 emails so far. Some said thanks for entering, others telling me to enter cos it will be damn awesome!!!!!

Sent a snotty response in the unsubscribe. Twice. I was still getting mails after unsubscribing.

:cursing:

11 and counting

Saw the route map just now...40km batches starts basically in town. That means even more traffic when the organisers thought the new route will ease congestion. Not a brilliant idea...