[Event] Carnival City Macsteel National Classic Road Race

Frosty

Moaning? You're kidding me right ....

A 12Km rider. Forgot to bring a rain jacket, and said the number collection people said to bring sunscreen and enough liquids because it will be hot.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3rd place in 60km is a youngster I sometimes ride with. Last year he came 3rd in the 34km distance.

I was outside the grounds at the intersection when the first 34Km rider came in. Given I was riding with tekkies on, and couldn’t ride has hard as I could with shoes/cleats, he easily rode easy from me once in the grounds.

I had a few people moan about getting wet and dirty (muddy) - I was also on my bike, in the rain, and actually enjoyed it early on. Reminder to self... take #MTB shoes with tomorrow and not trail run shoes.

Really? I thought the rain and mud made it that much more fun, also kept me from overheating, but I like riding in rain and mud so.....

The WIND!! hel, I got my wife to do this as her first long race because it's a relatively flat race, I am not popular

Somebody is sleeping in the dog house

Thank you to all involved. Was my first time doing this race and really enjoyed it. Bit of rain and lightening at the beginning. Was super well organised and water points and marshals were really friendly. Was fun riding through the bit of mud and made use of the bike wash. Also the bacon and egg roll went down a treat. Looking forward to next year.

Really? I thought the rain and mud made it that much more fun, also kept me from overheating, but I like riding in rain and mud so.....

I also thought it made it fun.

I started in AL for this race and all I can say is that it was brutal from the get go. Around the 15km mark I accidentally pushed a fellow cyclist off the road, I couldnt see that the road actually closed in and I held my line and gave him no room, i apologised profusely but he had his game face on and well I guess we carry on. He later caught up to me again and i apologised once again but with no response - ok then carry on mate.

About 25km into the race the first accident happened and I had just enough time to avoid colliding with a fellow cyclist on the floor as well as a well timed bunny hop hahaha - hope they ok tho. Due to that accident it put a few of us under pressure to make grounds with the leading batch so a hard effort was needed and i felt blown after that. The wind did not play in our favour and the cross wind was just brutal.

There were 2-4 guys that were extremely erratic in the peloton  and I was glad that we managed to get rid of two of them around the halfway mark. The right turn after suikerbos up that steep climb a guy cut right across my front wheel and well i im not sure how i did not hit the deck but yeah that was not fun.

Coming down to the petrol station a slight lapse of concentration from my side and a delay in accelerating saw me finally fall of the leading batch and did a few of us pay dearly for that, when we turned left to go towards carnival the wind was ready in full force to destroy every ounce of what was left in the legs, we were a group of about 5 guys that tirelessly grinded to get back and finally 2h57 we saw the blue mats - there was some serious bromance going on when we got to the line lol, we suffered together and graciously past the finish line together.

That was defo harder than amashova, the attacks in A hurt so so so much. It was honestly just purely brutal but so lekker.

947 is my next one.

Ride on.

Lekker race although the wind made it super tough. BL got absolutely shredded in the crosswind heading past Suikerbossie. One gripe about the batch was that they would not let you back in after you peeled off the front so basically your reward for pulling the group was getting guttered... Thanks okes  :thumbup:

Managed to find a relatively big group with about 30km to go after getting gapped on the way past Suikerbossie although almost no-one was willing to work so 3/4 of us sat on the front for almost the entire 30km and then the wheel-suckers sprinted past in the last few hundred meters... Bastards!!!

Much slower than last year (and I burned way more matches in the MTB race the day before than I had last year) although I still made it home just in time to crack open a beer and catch the start of the rugby. Legs are pretty sore today

Reading some of the comments on the event's Strava club has been interesting... mostly positive despite the horrible conditions.

The wind is good to split the "racing" bunches up, as it makes it easier for the officials to place everyone, but I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy to suffer in these conditions.

Kudos to everyone that finished!

The wind is good to split the "racing" bunches up make Scotty suffer, as it makes it easier for the officials to place everyone, but I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy to suffer in these conditions.

Fixed. 

Congrats on another great event - definitely one of my favourites on the calendar!  Was a tough day out in the wind but can only make us all stronger I guess!  We dropped back to start in HL and help pull a friend along on his longest ride ever! Groups in HL are min and we were pushing a good pace so were working hard.  

Around suikerbos the friend's legs were done and another mate dropped off so between the three of us we literally pulled/pushed him the last 40km, so the legs were pretty cooked by the time we had fought those last 15km up heidelberg road pulling a very tired 113kg into that headwind!  But we all finished in the end. 

Massive shout out to the guys at the Macsteel waterpoint on Heidelberg road, they were running round everyone who stopped making sure they got anything they needed as fast as possible and all while being really friendly and positive!

Had a good chuckle at a guy on his e-bike pushing it up heidelberg road on the hill after the last water point, after the battery must have had enough! Granted he was a big guy and would not have managed 110km on a std bike, so good on him for giving it a go, but he still had a fair way to go pushing a heavy bike.