Moving to Port Elizabeth / PE

ACM

I had co-workers who live and work in PE and I was there often for work.  In general I would not mind living there.  You did not mention your age and career but I would look at what your career path would be there in your line of work.  I know of quite a few that pretty much are stuck where they are as they are in IT. If they want to enhance their careers they will have to leave PE again. That is the only downside I can think of.  Other than that I would actually love the place.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall it's a nice place to live. Traffic will be less hectic and property more affordable, but rates and taxes are high.

I had co-workers who live and work in PE and I was there often for work.  In general I would not mind living there.  You did not mention your age and career but I would look at what your career path would be there in your line of work.  I know of quite a few that pretty much are stuck where they are as they are in IT. If they want to enhance their careers they will have to leave PE again. That is the only downside I can think of.  Other than that I would actually love the place.

The IT game has changed a lot in recent years, its not so much about location with remote work being so common now. 

Honestly if I had to leave the company Im with(working remotely) then I would work for an international company remotely.

That all depends on your skills though so I guess it wouldnt be for everyone.

I will admit i am bias.

I grew up here, but then spent 16 years in Cape Town and came back 3 years ago.

I do not want to go anywhere.

We say, quantity is less, but quality is much more.

Money and opportunities less, but quality of life is great.

There is some traffic (i do realise my standards are much higher now), so depending where you work and stay, it basically is a 15min city.

We often say we must make a consious decision to enjoy what we have, like choosing to go for a swim. We often get lazy easily and then miss out on great opportunities. 

Just give Despats a miss...

Askuus? Despatch, jy kan nie jou kinders in n beter dorp groot maak as Despatch nie. Daar leer hulle wat is speel, nie tablets en fone nie.

The IT game has changed a lot in recent years, its not so much about location with remote work being so common now. 

Honestly if I had to leave the company Im with(working remotely) then I would work for an international company remotely.

That all depends on your skills though so I guess it wouldnt be for everyone.

You talking to someone who just did that move.  Loving it.

Askuus? Despatch, jy kan nie jou kinders in n beter dorp groot maak as Despatch nie. Daar leer hulle wat is speel, nie tablets en fone nie.

And Despatch has Budget Bikes. The cheapest bike shop this side of the Limpopo.

Thanks again for all the responses. I do work in IT and I am extremely blessed in terms of income/salary. 46 years old, kids 14 & 16; so it’s definitely a big consideration. Having said that, kids adapt; it’s us old folk that struggle.

I understand that IT opportunities would be extremely limited if not non existent for me in PE (based on my line of work within IT); so if I do not enjoy the new company (for some reason) I’d have to move back to JHB/PTA which would be very hard on the kids&wife.

It's the pits

Thanks again for all the responses. I do work in IT and I am extremely blessed in terms of income/salary. 46 years old, kids 14 & 16; so it’s definitely a big consideration. Having said that, kids adapt; it’s us old folk that struggle.

I understand that IT opportunities would be extremely limited if not non existent for me in PE (based on my line of work within IT); so if I do not enjoy the new company (for some reason) I’d have to move back to JHB/PTA which would be very hard on the kids&wife.

From experience of moving a 14 and 17 year old.... They take time to adapt..... Although in our case it was moving countries

Eastern Cape Schools are great. Grey PE, Framesby, Kingswood and St Andrews an hour away. Saasveld just there....

Despite the wind and the unprettiness of PE, it is not the worst place to live.

Top class surf spots from Plett to J-Bay, In land you have the Baviaans area and koue bokkeveld. Addo round the corner.

Cost of living is WAY lower than the big cities and half as much as Cape Town.

Did I mention the surfing?

1. I wouldn't recommend Framesby. I was there years ago and left. And I was told by another ex classmate it got worse. And thats 20 years ago.

2) Unprettiness? WOT BRUV?

From experience of moving a 14 and 17 year old.... They take time to adapt..... Although in our case it was moving countries

Point taken. Moving country is a lot bigger disruption I would think ????

How long did it take them to adjust? Was school an issue for them at all after the move?

1. I wouldn't recommend Framesby. I was there years ago and left. And I was told by another ex classmate it got worse. And thats 20 years ago.

2) Unprettiness? WOT BRUV?

Framesby has a dedicated response company. In the last 12 months they have had 1 incedent.

How long did it take them to adjust? Was school an issue for them at all after the move?

Without hijacking the post... Ours was more the younger one coping with short cold holiday over December while all her friends were posting instagram pics of their summer holidays. School was fine. Took the younger one about 8 months I would say