2019 UCI Road World Championships - Yorkshire

Vetplant

From www, race officials looked at the gps data of everybody, and then had the TV referee look for footage of cheating. 3 other riders also DQed for the same reason.

. I believe the GPS data showed impossible speeds for a cyclist on that section of the coarse

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He crashed, he dislocated his shoulder, had some assistance getting back to the group and then raced the next 125km in pain. He was the best rider on the day by far. But hey, lets celebrate mediocrity.

He crashed, he dislocated his shoulder, had some assistance getting back to the group and then raced the next 125km in pain. He was the best rider on the day by far. But hey, lets celebrate mediocrity.

You sound like the Dutch team manager Helmantel. “ If they follow their rules,they are right,but sometimes it’s also good to look at your rules in the way of cycling”

The UCI faces more controversy and confrontation with the way that was handled.

#socklength  :nuke:

Ridiculous inconsistent decision

I suppose the commissars for worlds are a different mob (British) to those used during the normal pro tour events

2nd best in the world is mediocrity? Those are some high standards!

What they need to do is change the rules. You can only review those kind of events after the race is finished. If the guy was cheating and was spotted by the officials and the rules were different he (and the others pinged for the same offence, and it is an offence) could be pulled there and then eliminating this kind of controversy. Problem escalates when one of the people gets a major placing and the same procedure has to be followed. No one is up in arms about the 32nd place or 18th place or what ever the other DQ riders got. Who knows what the result would have been if he hadn't been in the final phase but that doesn't matter.

It's simple. The guy was busted for drafting. Under the rules he got sanctioned like many riders before him. There is no provision for an appeal. The guy wearing the hoops (who rides for TDD) is the world champion. End of story. Moan all you like about the toughness of the guy, the obvious bias of the commissars, throw in some lazy national stereotypes, bleats about 'different rules' all based on your personal bias and move on. 

Think the right decision was made, but somehow cycling needs to make these decisions when they happen.

Surely we can code a simple system using the Dakar proximity system to see when a rider is close to a vehicle. As soon as this happens we activate cameras on the car and bike which send the live feed to the commissars who look at things in real time. They hand out yellow and red cards on the spot based on the offence.

None of this jury discisions 3 hours after the offence happened,which is what everyone is actually angry about.

Congrats to the new world champion.

No video footage of what he did wrong? Wording of the actual rule?

Rules are rules... who cares if others have gotten away with it? If you drink and drive and dont get caught it does not make it legal.

I feel for the dutchman I really do. I also feel for the now world champ because his rainbow Jersey will always carry with it a controversy.

Think the right decision was made, but somehow cycling needs to make these decisions when they happen.

Surely we can code a simple system using the Dakar proximity system to see when a rider is close to a vehicle. As soon as this happens we activate cameras on the car and bike which send the live feed to the commissars who look at things in real time. They hand out yellow and red cards on the spot based on the offence.

None of this jury discisions 3 hours after the offence happened,which is what everyone is actually angry about.

Congrats to the new world champion.

That would be a simple fix. Maybe they can get to it after they finish stamping out the sock height epidemic. 

Dude, if he hadn't had assistance getting back to the bunch he would have worked WAY harder to get back to the bunch and might not have had the matches later to burn for the win.

Say it as you may, cheating is cheating.

Whataboutism is also pointless.... Maybe inconsistency is an issue, but just because someone got away with breaking the rules in another race doesn't mean everyone should every time.

They looked at the data, made a collective decision and followed the rules.

Sucks for the dude, but yeah..... Cheat

That would be a simple fix. Maybe they can get to it after they finish stamping out the sock height epidemic.

Someone mentioned that Remco adjusted his socks in the first few hundred meters of the TT earlier this week, clearly he wouldn't have finished 2nd if he hadn't done that. They should have disqualified him on the spot for clearly breaking a rule with serious performance benefits.

#SarcasmOff

If you cannot police a rule consistently, it is better to then just remove the rule from the book.

There is no confirmation of exactly what Eekhof did to get the insane speeds getting back to the bunch. Could just as well have done a Nibaly and hold onto the car at 70km/h uphill.