Fenix 5 sudden battery drain

Jbr

I contacted the support, if find it borderline to not even provide 1 year warranty on such an expensive item that are supposed to be super strong blablabla

In europe they legaly have to give 2 years of warranty :(

Still go back to them and quote their own Consumer Limited Warranty which clearly states 1 year Edited by shaper

I contacted the support, I find it borderline to not even provide 1 year warranty on such an expensive item that is supposed to be super strong and durable blablabla

No they don’t. There is consumer law that can protect you if you can argue a factory fault, but no legal obligation to give a two year warranty in Europe.

Maybe it is a french thing then, but in France they legally do, I thought it was spread to the union though, maybe not

This is on the french takealot : 

Votre produit est couvert par la garantie légale de conformité(1). Conformément à la réglementation(2), cette garantie vous permet d'obtenir gratuitement, pendant les 2 ans suivant votre achat, la réparation en atelier ou l'échange de votre produit(3), ou à défaut le remboursement(4).
Your product is covered by the legal guarantee of conformity (1). In accordance with the regulations (2), this guarantee allows you to obtain, free of charge, during the 2 years following your purchase, the repair in workshop or the exchange of your product (3), or a refund (4).
Edited by Jbr

I contacted the support, I find it borderline to not even provide 1 year warranty on such an expensive item that is supposed to be super strong and durable blablabla

Takealot often tries to opt out on warranties and default to the legal minimum of 6 months, take it direct to Garmin with a printout of the order.

I emailed the support 2 days ago and they have not come back to me, now I've tried calling on the number provided on their site : 0861 GARMIN (427 646)

so 086 142 7646

When I call through skype it hangs up when they're connecting me to a consultant, if I call straight from my vodacom simcard I'm told the number doesn't exists.

Am I retarded ?

How do you usually proceed with their support ?

Edited by Jbr

I emailed the support 2 days ago and they have not come back to me, now I've tried calling on the number provided on their site : 0861 GARMIN (427 646)

so 086 142 7646

When I call through skype it hangs up when they're connecting me to a consultant, if I call straight from my vodacom simcard I'm told the number doesn't exists.

Am I retarded ?

How do you usually proceed with their support ?

I logged onto Thier support site and got a response in like 2 hours.

so I had to courrier it to Garmin (R200 somthing door to door with citysprint). Sent on thursday, received my Garmin on friday, and they replaced it my wife received it yesterday. Super happy with Garmin on this one, my watch had a few minor scratches and now I have a brand new one! Hopefully this one won't have the same issue !

I only noticed this thread this morning - I'm glad it got resolved - I was going to brainstorm with you and ask whether or not you have the unit linked via bluetooth to your phone to display messages and or calls? This can drain the battery to keep the connection going (just a thought  I do not own a Garmin)

so I had to courrier it to Garmin (R200 somthing door to door with citysprint). Sent on thursday, received my Garmin on friday, and they replaced it my wife received it yesterday. Super happy with Garmin on this one, my watch had a few minor scratches and now I have a brand new one! Hopefully this one won't have the same issue !

I only noticed this thread this morning - I'm glad it got resolved - I was going to brainstorm with you and ask whether or not you have the unit linked via bluetooth to your phone to display messages and or calls? This can drain the battery to keep the connection going (just a thought  I do not own a Garmin)

nah I usually always disconnect it from my phone, and only connect it to sync after a ride. Now yesterday night I forgot to disconnect it, and this morning I had 99% :D The new one seems to be working good !

lately I haven't gotten a chance to charge it 100% a few times in a row, but last night it charged overnight, I only unplugged it at 7 this morning and at 12 there was only 5% left. I'll try downgrading to 13.30 firmware...

I'm seeing the same on my 5X.  What works for me is a soft restart it immediately after charging to 100%.  I can reproduce this, if I don't restart then it goes down from 100 to about 60% in 2 hours.

I've just walked an interesting path with Garmin and my 920XT which has been going on since around March this year.  In a nutshell there was a software change on Garmin Connect which resulted in me not being able to get alerts anymore when I built a cycling workout with custom power upper and lower limits. Finally after much communicating they have replaced my 920 with a new 935.  Of course I had to pay in an amount of R2300 which burnt my a$$ a bit because theoretically there was no fault with my 920 and it was caused by a Garmin upgrade, but I suppose I am getting a new watch for a fraction of the price of what it would cost me to buy one, so i begrudgingly paid up....