Origin Of Trails 2019

ValeYellow

I saw that there is an event at Paul Cluver this weekend, it's not a timed "race", but a come and experience the trails type of deal. Think entry is R865.00 (somewhere around this mark), and it included a case of Paul Cluver wine, the remainder of 2019 and the whole of 2020 permit fees, and a burger & beer at the end. IMHO, that's good value?

I haven't heard of this, but I don't get around to cycle around Paul Cluver trails often enough to make the annual permit worth it for me.

Houw Hoek tour is probably one of the most bang for your buck events imo in the WC - basically day 2 & 3 of Wines to Whales for under R1000. 

Water points stacked to the brim with Droeëwors and other fun stuff.

Then the Eselfontein 3-day race I am doing this year for the first time, also looks to be great value for money.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the hijack - got more details?

and it included a case of Paul Cluver wine

I missed that part... There is R600 minimum right there

I haven't heard of this, but I don't get around to cycle around Paul Cluver trails often enough to make the annual permit worth it for me.

Houw Hoek tour is probably one of the most bang for your buck events imo in the WC - basically day 2 & 3 of Wines to Whales for under R1000. 

Water points stacked to the brim with Droeëwors and other fun stuff.

Then the Eselfontein 3-day race I am doing this year for the first time, also looks to be great value for money.

awesome, noted and on the list of 2020 :thumbup:

I missed that part... There is R600 minimum right there

Chingy182 - direct from their FB page:

The weather is going to be perfect for our Spring MTB Special Event & Exclusive Offer on Saturday this weekend - cool and clear, with just a gentle breeze!

This is a special opportunity to explore our newly rejuvenated MTB trails with our family - Paul Cluver (Managing Director), Andries Burger (Cellar Master) and Liesl Cluver Rust. There are only a few tickets still available! Each ticket includes:

• Morning coffee, muffin and burger after ride, all from #SALTatPaulCluver (Value: R150)

• 2020 Annual Permit (Value: R640, incl. remainder of 2019)

• A case of Paul Cluver Wines Sauvignon or Village Pinot noir (Value: R600)

• MTB ride with the Cluver family (Value: Priceless!)

TOTAL VALUE OF OFFER: R1250

---

LIMITED EXCLUSIVE OFFER: R850

Date: 28 September

Venue: Paul Cluver Wines

Time: 08h00

Tickets: http://bit.ly/SpringMTBEvent

• 1 month later...

So I see that the start on Saturday is at the Old Landbou Saal in Stellenbosch, but the finish is at Blaauklippen.  (would not have mind the other way around as then you can park at the Landbou and then just cruise down to Blaauklippen afterwards.

From the route profiles I don't see Banhoek & Skyfall included in the Two Day Marathon - is this correct?

Seems we going the other way, more towards Somerset

Seems we going the other way, more towards Somerset

Correct - from the reading the route description seems like they have completely redesigned Day 2 which sounds cool... Explore some new trails  :thumbup:

IMO still one of the better 2day biking experiences around here...

done the last 3 but missing out this year unfortunately. 

My first one and very excited, seems the weather might just play along and not be a scorcher 

IMO still one of the better 2day biking experiences around here...

done the last 3 but missing out this year unfortunately. 

I agree I did my first one last year and thoroughly enjoyed it and it's always on my list of options for the year.

I loved to do OO. It used to be a lot cheaper. The jump to R1600 is quite steep and killed it for me.
CAN WE PLEASE STOP WITH THIS ALL INCLUSIVE NONSENSE?!?!
Events mutate into product pushing vehicles.

I don't need more cycling shirts. It is not added value. It is totally superfluous.

And if I am hungry at the end of an event I WILL BUY a burger. Not interested in the free food that in 90% of all times I won't feel like eating. I would just like to fun-race Jonkers and Banhoek trails. Come on!

I loved to do OO. It used to be a lot cheaper. The jump to R1600 is quite steep and killed it for me.

CAN WE PLEASE STOP WITH THIS ALL INCLUSIVE NONSENSE?!?!

Events mutate into product pushing vehicles.

I don't need more cycling shirts. It is not added value. It is totally superfluous.

And if I am hungry at the end of an event I WILL BUY a burger. Not interested in the free food that in 90% of all times I won't feel like eating. I would just like to fun-race Jonkers and Banhoek trails. Come on!

Take it easy there bro...

Yes entry price did increase but still value therein. If you dont think so... go fun race jonkers and eat burgers every other wkend!? 

Not many 2day races/rides cheaper than this with such decent trails & ride support. My opinion anyway.

Take it easy there bro...

Yes entry price did increase but still value therein. If you dont think so... go fun race jonkers and eat burgers every other wkend!? 

Not many 2day races/rides cheaper than this with such decent trails & ride support. My opinion anyway.

It is a simple matter of priority. I ride there over weekends but I also like the vibe of an event. But for this I don't need a shirt and free food. Take that out and we are back at around R1000. Which is feasible if you look at other 2 day events in WC. 

SA's economy is in ***, and spare cash is scarce. People must make tougher decisions these days. Or I at least. These over-inflated event price increases are not in line with the times. If I had to make a choice I'd let go of the T-shirt and eat a home-made sandwich but get to ride the race... but that's just  me... Maybe I just have strange priorities....