Commute: Observatory <> TygerValley

Cal Naughton Jr.

Hi all

I will be moving Observatory side soon. I work in Tygervalley and I'm considering a morning bike commute. My first intuition is that the route is probably not all that safe. Below is the proposed route more or less. Does anyone have experience commuting through the various areas: Maitland, Goodwood, Parow.

Any alternative suggestions would be appreciated.
gREDxK8.png

Edited by Cal Naughton Jr.

A real navigation challenge. Obz to century city via Pinelands may be a starting point for route planning. Then through edgemead ... plattekloof?

The route as you have it though looks pretty risky.

I wouldn't, it's only narrow street on this was with a lot of taxis traffic and no space for bikes. it is also going through some dodgy neighbourhoods

To get to Goodwood go through pinelands and Thornton. Follow Central Ave, Union Ave, Victory Ave to old mutual. Then forest drive extension to Thornton and make your way to grand west. Then take the pedestrian walkway on the grand west side of the n7 /Jakes Gerwel. Once you hit Goodwood your route is good.

To get to Goodwood go through pinelands and Thornton. Follow Central Ave, Union Ave, Victory Ave to old mutual. Then forest drive extension to Thornton and make your way to grand west. Then take the pedestrian walkway on the grand west side of the n7 /Jakes Gerwel. Once you hit Goodwood your route is good.

Just had someone PM me with the same route suggestion. Will plot it out. Thanks so much!

yes to this idea

Every so often I have to go via Maitland to get to Town - in the car ....

SCARY !!

People dont use indicators, and every so often people are jerking at the steering wheel to avoid a collision !!

I would not risk my life on a bike along that section.

MAYBE - along Pinelands to Grand West, over the bridge, then back roads in Goodwood ... might be better in terms of cars and roads .... dont know about safety ...

EDIT - see we all typing at the same time ...

Edited by ChrisF

Just had someone PM me with the same route suggestion. Will plot it out. Thanks so much!

I would do this instead. Avoid Maitland Voortrekker road. As its narrow with speeding taxis & there have been a couple of muggings recently.

post-3951-0-20869900-1569836405_thumb.jpg

post-3951-0-47685600-1569836425_thumb.jpg

P.S. I stuffed up the plotting around GrandWest & can't get it right as then it messes everything else up or maybe I just suck at that.

I would do this instead. Avoid Maitland Voortrekker road. As its narrow with speeding taxis & there have been a couple of muggings recently.

attachicon.gifGW to TyVA.JPG

P.S. I stuffed up the plotting around GrandWest & can't get it right as then it messes everything else up or maybe I just suck at that.

One amendment to this - I'd take the M121 instead of Durban Road (R302) for the last stretch. Much quieter, and a really great shoulder. 

this has been my route for the last 3 years since our offices moved to Tygervalley. I now moved/live in Lakeside and cycle to Tygervalley, but up to a few weeks ago this was my short route from Obs.

At the N7, pass underneath the N7, get on the pavement at Grand west, and ride over the railway tracks on the pavement over the bridge. The N7 bridge across the tracks is one of the scariest sections of road for a cyclist. There is no room for pedestrians or cyclists in that stretch.

post-20017-0-43602800-1569839324_thumb.png

Did my first commute this morning! Was great and will definitely continue doing it. Thanks to everyone for the route advice.

Although I only intended to begin doing this from December on (when I move to Obs), I decided to give it a test run from my girlfriend in Rondebosch. Here's the Strava link.

Edited by Cal Naughton Jr.