Tyres “bleeding” Stans sealant

Sbloomer

Maxis Crossmark with Stans on my 2 29'ers and 26" commuter, never had an issue with bleeding. 

If they're the LUST crossmarks, then that's why. Tubeless ready sidewalls and bead, therefore very unlikely to be porous enough to let sealant or air through.  

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This usually happens when you don’t have tubeless ready tires. What tires do you have?

They are Bliss Ready Spez Ground Control and Fasttrack

I run them exactly in the middle of the recommended pressure range (3.5bar)

Edited by Sbloomer

They are Bliss Ready Spez Ground Control and Fasttrack

I run them exactly in the middle of the recommended pressure range (3.5bar)

I ran the same...Spez GC on the front and FT on the back. Never had an issue, but then I'm not running Stans, but the oatmeal type sealant.

I did have the weeping issue on a Conti, but i topped up a little more than needed and it sealed after a few days of riding...

Not only spaz. It's a porous sidewall thing. Spaz / Maxxis / Schwalbe etc. All the lower strength sidewalls could suffer from this, if they're worn down to the fabric (as in the OP's case on teh sidewalls) or just due to porosity.

They’re not worn down to the fabric. They’re only just a year old and haven’t even done 2000km

They’re not worn down to the fabric. They’re only just a year old and haven’t even done 2000km

But they are... look at the patterns that the sealant is making. It follows the fabric lines where the sidewall rubber has worn down (cracked) due to flex of the sidewall while riding...

Edited by seven

But they are. Those diagonal lines are indicative of a Tyre that is just below optimal pressure and has been rolling in the corners thereby revealing the underlying fabric of the casing. At those lines, it is worn to the fabric and will seep sealant.

But they are. Those diagonal lines are indicative of a Tyre that is just below optimal pressure and has been rolling in the corners thereby revealing the underlying fabric of the casing. At those lines, it is worn to the fabric and will seep sealant.

Then I don’t understand. They’ve never been ridden below 3.5 bar (and are rated at 2.5 to 4.5 bar). I check pressure before every ride So the Spez ratings are wrong or are they just rubbish?

3.5 bar!? Why!? Should never be that hard. 

EDIT: this may also contribute to it. Internal pressure (50psi) forcing the sealant out those striations which may also have been caused by brushing up against rocks (not very likely but possible) or just overinflation. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

The day they invented 2bliss tyres I never looked back

Dont even know what tubeless ready means except leaks

Who cares about the weight

The day they invented 2bliss tyres I never looked back

Dont even know what tubeless ready means except leaks

Who cares about the weight

i run 2.5-3.0 tubes in 29x2.6 tires with sealant.Never had an issue or flat....who cares about the weight?  :ph34r:  :blush: mine have been set and forget.

imo at what point does 'performance' and inconvenience intercept lol?

If you run non tubeless tyres with sealant the sealant leaks out at all the seams of the tyre (in lines diagonally along the sidewall).

If you run tubeless ready tyres the same will happen but a lot less.

If you run full UST tyres no sealant will run out.

Weight goes up and feel goes down as you go more tubeless. You need to make your choice where along the line you're happy.

Edited by Eldron

3.5 bar!? Why!? Should never be that hard.

EDIT: this may also contribute to it. Internal pressure (50psi) forcing the sealant out those striations which may also have been caused by brushing up against rocks (not very likely but possible) or just overinflation.

Ok so it’s now overinflated. Why bother with printing ratings on sidewalls when they are meaningless.

Ok so it’s now overinflated. Why bother with printing ratings on sidewalls when they are meaningless.

I'm with you on this....if the thing has a min and max printed on it...it should be good at either end of the scale...not to mention EVERYBODY i know leaves a new tire at max psi overnight to stretch it out since the tires do that anyway over the first few rides.

Edited by morneS555