947 MTB Challenge 2019

Chadvdw67

Was a fun ride.

The one bottleneck was ridiculous, but otherwise flowed well.

The route was easier, a lot of tar. But the northerners single track was good. And the weather was fantastic.

All in all, glad I did it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it was a pretty fun day out, but I wont do an event like that again, not unless I get a much better seeding.

The route was great, fast and flowing, the traffic just really spoiled it, but all in all, glad I did it, it was an experience for sure.

All the waiting killed it for me, if i dont get a good seeding into a fast group of riders ill not do it again. Was rediculous waiting for each and anything resembling an obstacle. And the fast flowing singletrack was crap with ppl stopping in the route to have chats and stuff. But nice route, well organized.

Yeah it was a pretty fun day out, but I wont do an event like that again, not unless I get a much better seeding.

The route was great, fast and flowing, the traffic just really spoiled it, but all in all, glad I did it, it was an experience for sure.

From which batch did you ride?

I dropped back to A9 to ride with a group of mates and saw no bottlenecks (on 55km loop)

From which batch did you ride?

I dropped back to A9 to ride with a group of mates and saw no bottlenecks (on 55km loop)

I was unseeded for the event so started at A16, we waited for probably 20minutes at one of the first "technical" single tracks on the loop, and besides that, ALL the single track in the beginning of the loop was SLOW, it took an hour odd to do the first 10km

I am by no means a fast rider, especially when it comes to uphills, but what I saw happening was guys pedalling hard on the uphills on the first 5km of the loop, burnt themselves out, and then couldn't push anymore after that, I started slowly, kept my energy so I could keep a steady rhythm throughout the day.

My finishing time was 03:35, but I am sure I could have gone under 3hours if it were not for the bottle necks. My fault I guess for not doing a seeding ride before hand.

There was a really tough rocky climb last year that was not included this year, which is a pity. Really wanted to re-do it this year. 

But otherwise, a nice route. 

I was in the same boat; unseeded, so a good 15-20 mins of delays. 

Will try be seeded next year. 

Really enjoyed the race. Very few bottlenecks from A8. Will certainly be doing it again next year. 

My first 947 MTB was also unseeded and took a long time to finish. If you are not seeded, expect the wait and just enjoy it. That was my mindset going into this one. Was pleasantly surprised at the lack of traffic and still managed a decent time. 

Edited by Ettas

Not the best of races but has a lot of potential.

A lot of the tracks need a lot more bedding in as they are still fresh cut.

I also got stuck behind a tractor pulling a trailer on the route in an area where it was impossible to get around it. This happened on northern farms side and was slightly frustrating as you would have expected that not to happened during a race. Imagine it happened when the pro's came through!

otherwise route markings were fantastic

I left in A14 was a nice change to the route and prefer it to the old route - Had 1 or 2 bottle necks nothing to hectic probably added 5 or 10 minutes to my time, couple of chops coming from behind pushing in on the bottle necks "probably roadies" who knows. Weather was great, beer was cold, what more could a MTBer ask for. The paved sections were lekka for a bit of recovery, lots of single track - Steyn City now has an awesome trail for their residents.

My only complaint is the hectic entry fee but hey if you wanna ride the race you got to pay they piper. I'll be back next year for sure.

The other thing that irked me, has nothing to do with route or organizers though.

Even after having asked everyone to PLEASE NOT THROW YOUR RUBBISH ON THE TRAILS, there were still cunch of bunts throwing wrappers, sachets and bottles on the route, really, how hard can it be to just put the damn things back in a pocket and then dump it at the next water point or at the end?

The other thing that irked me, has nothing to do with route or organizers though.

Even after having asked everyone to PLEASE NOT THROW YOUR RUBBISH ON THE TRAILS, there were still cunch of bunts throwing wrappers, sachets and bottles on the route, really, how hard can it be to just put the damn things back in a pocket and then dump it at the next water point or at the end?

Agreed - I even saw 1 or 2 tubes that were discarded - i wont swear at the riders who left them there because i didnt stop to pick them up - 

Note to self - next time stop and pick up the tubes - its the right thing to do