DURA-ACE 9100 VS SRAM RED 22

Veebee

Before trying DI2 if you offered me mechanical Dura-ace vs Ultegra DI2 I would have taken DA but since buying a bike with U DI2 I would absolutely take U DI2 over anything mechanical.

As previously stated, the changing of the front mech is fantastic.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before trying DI2 if you offered me mechanical Dura-ace vs Ultegra DI2 I would have taken DA but since buying a bike with U DI2 I would absolutely take U DI2 over anything mechanical.

As previously stated, the changing of the front mech is fantastic.

how many times in a ride do you shift at the front ?

Often

Thought would 11spd, there wouldn't be a need to be shifting as often as the rear...

Anyway Di2 is great no doubt. If you enjoy it then good.

My Q was really towards mechanical only.

If I win the lotto then maybe etap but if not its definitely mechanical 9100 or Red22

I don’t use the front derailleur that often. Probably 1/10th if the shifts the rear derailleur makes. With a compact crank set up I make even less front ring shifts. The quality of the front shift is still important to me so I spend a lot of time setting up the front derailleur correctly and ensuring that the chainline is correct. Three millimeters to far over toward the drive side has a big effect on the leverage the derailleur cage can apply to the chain to lift it into the shift ramps.

Once set up there’s no difference in performance between mechanical and electronic and Between brands. Shimano has a slightly lighter feel but with good quality rings there is no difference in the result. The SRAM yaw derailleur is little more tricky to set up but once done you don’t have to fiddle again. Just follow the instructions rather than set it up like you think it should be.

I don’t use the front derailleur that often. Probably 1/10th if the shifts the rear derailleur makes. With a compact crank set up I make even less front ring shifts. The quality of the front shift is still important to me so I spend a lot of time setting up the front derailleur correctly and ensuring that the chainline is correct. Three millimeters to far over toward the drive side has a big effect on the leverage the derailleur cage can apply to the chain to lift it into the shift ramps.

Once set up there’s no difference in performance between mechanical and electronic and Between brands. Shimano has a slightly lighter feel but with good quality rings there is no difference in the result. The SRAM yaw derailleur is little more tricky to set up but once done you don’t have to fiddle again. Just follow the instructions rather than set it up like you think it should be.

I have to disagree with this. I have setup many front derailleurs, both mechanical and electronic and the mechanical is good, but not as good as the electronic. Mechanical still relies on human input, which varies in force applied to the lever, as well as action speed. Electronic is consistent, with the same force and speed applied each time - perfect shifting, even under load. Furthermore, cable stretch also causes the shifting to deteriorate overtime, whereas this is not a problem with the electronic gears.

I do agree that the difference across brands when comparing mechanical to mechanical and electronic to electronic is negligible, but mechanical vs electronic is worlds apart. However, with all systems, a well setup derailleur is still required - it can be the best and lightest part in the world, but unless the setup is spot on, it will never work properly. 

*Hijack on. Is ultegra R8000 worth the additional price to R7000? Only around 220g difference. Even less weight difference if you fit an ultegra cassette... R8000 is amost R3500 more expensive than R7000.

*Hijack off

*Hijack on. Is ultegra R8000 worth the additional price to R7000? Only around 220g difference. Even less weight difference if you fit an ultegra cassette... R8000 is amost R3500 more expensive than R7000.

*Hijack off

IMO, yes Ultegra is worth the additional price. Grab it quickly while on special at CWC