The toolbox thread

100Tours

Go for the Teng Tool unit. I've got one in my toolbox. Great quality, comes with calibration certificate. The importers are based in Ndabeni and own an engineering works. Good support and will organise calibration etc too

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, splat said:

Does it blow air fast enough to seat a tubeless tyre ?

That should be able to. I have a smaller one but I think also 120 psi, which I use if my floor pump doesnt seat my tyre.

5 hours ago, dave303e said:

I have been eyeing out one of these for a while now, not badly priced...

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/DMP180ZX

For ages I was eyeing out the 40V kit version of that (charger + 2.5Ah battery) as it was the cheapest way to get onto the 40V platform.

There's a Kiwi on YouTube that reviews a ton of Makita gear, and he has a vid on the various inflators. Don't think he covers the topic of seating tubeless, but still informative

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Theunissa said:

It's not bad Matt offroad recovery uses it to pump tyres amd it works good. 

at least I know my taste in youtube is shared in this thread hahahaha

On 1/18/2023 at 4:05 PM, Theunissa said:

Nice. This can work well with my 4x4 compressor. I only use a foot pump because I must 

I am just curious. What do you use for a 4x4 pump?

Years ago I was a guest on a very remote Kalahari game farm and when the hunting was done, we helped with the regular farm work (We've got to pay for the free accommodation😉). Two things I learnt there. 1. A manual sun tracking device for borehole pumps, and 2 an additional air conditioner pump in the cruiser for QUICK inflates in the field. Both worked like a charm.

1 hour ago, LBKloppers said:

I am just curious. What do you use for a 4x4 pump?

Years ago I was a guest on a very remote Kalahari game farm and when the hunting was done, we helped with the regular farm work (We've got to pay for the free accommodation😉). Two things I learnt there. 1. A manual sun tracking device for borehole pumps, and 2 an additional air conditioner pump in the cruiser for QUICK inflates in the field. Both worked like a charm.

I have an older model air compressor made for/by bmw for the GS bikes. Lovely little bit of gear. But it has been abused and I love Makita. Hence my thoughts on the Makita tyre inflator. 

22 hours ago, dave303e said:

I have an older model air compressor made for/by bmw for the GS bikes. Lovely little bit of gear. But it has been abused and I love Makita. Hence my thoughts on the Makita tyre inflator. 

I have the small (I think) Makita and it is a little bit cumbersome (doesn't have a dual nozzle for bicycles, have to use an adaptor) and isn't that quick (on car tyres anyway) but nice to set the pressure needed and leave it.

23 hours ago, dave303e said:

I am not a 4x4 owner but I've seen the time some of these guys take to re-inflate after they get out of the sandy 4x4 routes. Some of them had the best mini compressors money could buy and it still took forever to re-inflate. AND the noise! The speed and convenience of the onboard 2nd compressor were something to behold. I think most underestimate the volumes of air those aircon compressors can move.

Additionally, it's mounted on the engine, activated with a switch and all the driver has to do is connect the hose to the wheel. For home, I've made an adapter to fit on a Sodastream bottle. It's a super duper CO2 bomb. Note, this thing will blow your wheel (if it is a bicycle wheel) to smithereens is it is not controlled. Those bottles are charged to 160Bar. Do not mess around.

26 minutes ago, LBKloppers said:

I am not a 4x4 owner but I've seen the time some of these guys take to re-inflate after they get out of the sandy 4x4 routes. Some of them had the best mini compressors money could buy and it still took forever to re-inflate. AND the noise! The speed and convenience of the onboard 2nd compressor were something to behold. I think most underestimate the volumes of air those aircon compressors can move.

Additionally, it's mounted on the engine, activated with a switch and all the driver has to do is connect the hose to the wheel. For home, I've made an adapter to fit on a Sodastream bottle. It's a super duper CO2 bomb. Note, this thing will blow your wheel (if it is a bicycle wheel) to smithereens is it is not controlled. Those bottles are charged to 160Bar. Do not mess around.

I have seen similar built with old gas bottles and fire extinguishers. We used to use bead blasters on the quad bike tyres to seat them. But for a just in case and to top up tyres after dropping the pressure it is fairly convenient.

It is rainy season here on a dairy farm so the mud is let's say 'festive'. I have pulled 9 vehicles out of the mud on our property this year alone. I usually try my best to do it without dropping tyre pressures but in the few occasions they have really done a proper job it is convenient to reinflate the tyres again.getting out the big compressor is also a pain.

Not the most exciting tool addition to the collection, but decided the little Makita battery powered vac needed some support from a Festool corded vac, to tackle the more dust intensive tools.

image.png.1bceb636cc9be46ae1a8980ad615fef6.png

Let's see if these live up to all the rage (much like how my wife insisted we needed a Dyson Stick Vac 😅 )