Safety / Self-defence gear on MTB

dannygirl

I ride with a honey badger knife, very light, sharp and quick to open. Clips in baggies or back pocket easily and is almost unnoticeable. Unfortunately with knives you will get dirty and have to get closing, never stab as that is easy to block, rather slash as it is unpredictable and will also slice their defensive bits. Attack as defense, if the numbers are agains you I would not suggest this. Not sure what I would do if I’m in a situation but there is always plan b

If you are not prepared for this rather not look at them, hand over the goodies and walk away.

I do like the option of handing the guy the phone as a distraction so you can spray in too

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check Youtube for the Comtech tactical whip testing. The guys that test it reckon that batons are very limited, mainly because you have to assault the hell out of someone for it to work, and this looks bad on video. The tactical whip looks like something you could make at home, only need to get one hit with it.

All you going to do is annoy an armed perp with that thing.It's going to sting like hell but won't deter him.Spend the extra money and get an ASP baton.

All you going to do is annoy an armed perp with that thing.It's going to sting like hell but won't deter him.Spend the extra money and get an ASP baton.

For cycling I don't think a baton is practical. The guys who test the whip make arguments against batons showing some police videos, they make some good points.

Only area where you slash at, is at the top of the forearms, it bleeds like hell, and quickly removes the perps will to fight / attack. It is also seldom fatal wounds, just bleeds profusely due to all the blood vessels under the skin. (don't ask me how I know  :ph34r: )

And the forehead. Blood in the eyes tips the scales in your favour.

I asked this question previously and there was no reply.

I would also like to know.

Nothing happened to him. Case went to court, was ruled self defence. All 3 were armed with rocks and trying to kill him.

Edited by GrahamS2

But if you know what do do with a knife, you can inflict major damage / pain without killing.

Remember, nobody likes the sight of blood gushing from a wound, especially if it's his own blood.

Not debating the efficacy of a knife - for CQC situations a knife and your hands/feet are the best weapons. My point was, as mentioned by others, don't think merely pulling a knife is going to end a situation. You need to use it, and properly.

The one thing nobody has mentioned is situational awareness. It doesn't matter what you have - and it matters far more than what you don't have - it's the single most important factor. Being aware of what's happening and correctly reading the situation - and often, getting the heck out of there - is your most important tool. Don't get caught or cornered to start with. It's 99%+ of the equation.

Basic fight training is really worth doing. 

You would need to know to step in not away, get close and know where the fleshy spots are that are easy to get to and won't trap the blade.

Also that knives are for stabbing, not slashing.

You will see blood and you will do damage.

I have to disagree with you - in a self defense situation you want to to be slashing, aiming to the face, forehead and all the big muscles to incapacitate your attacker. Biceps, forearms, quadriceps above the knee - all of these cuts are disabling and allow you to get away. You are also aiming for maximum blood loss - not only does it cause shock (as in "oh my god I'm bleeding") but the body shuts down fairly rapidly with major blood loss 

The majority of knives carried for EDC are simply not able to penetrate deep enough to hit vital organs and in any case a stab does little to stop the attack, most of the time the person stabbed does not even know that it has happened

Basic fight training is really worth doing. 

You would need to know to step in not away, get close and know where the fleshy spots are that are easy to get to and won't trap the blade.

Also that knives are for stabbing, not slashing.

You will see blood and you will do damage.

I have to disagree with you - in a self defense situation you want to to be slashing, aiming to the face, forehead and all the big muscles to incapacitate your attacker. Biceps, forearms, quadriceps above the knee - all of these cuts are disabling and allow you to get away. You are also aiming for maximum blood loss - not only does it cause shock (as in "oh my god I'm bleeding") but the body shuts down fairly rapidly with major blood loss 

The majority of knives carried for EDC are simply not able to penetrate deep enough to hit vital organs and in any case a stab does little to stop the attack, most of the time the person stabbed does not even know that it has happened

Totally agree. If we look at the Spyderco Merlin, which was made infamous for being designed purely as a slashing/ disembowling tool with women in mind (there was even a special anti-rape training course offered at one stage), it is nothing short of devastating in close quarters. 

I do agree with training though .............. Practice, practice, practice and then some more

Doesn't matter if it is a knife or a gun, it has to be instinctive reaction based on hours of repetition with every scenario in mind

.........And learn to use both hands

Not debating the efficacy of a knife - for CQC situations a knife and your hands/feet are the best weapons. My point was, as mentioned by others, don't think merely pulling a knife is going to end a situation. You need to use it, and properly.

Correct. As I have said, if you pull out a gun or a knife, you MUST be prepared and equipped to use it.

i'm guessing if, like me, you had to google CQC and scroll past the Car-Quality Commision to find out what it actually means, then this thread is probably indicating that you should do more research before buying anything.

"I do like the option of handing the guy the phone as a distraction so you can spray in too"

Toss the phone, it makes for a good distraction and gives you a second to pepper spray

this seems like a much better option to me 

cause if they're really there for the phone or wallet ect as soon as you throw it they'll shoot for it , giving you A chance to either klap-'n toon or get medieval with the pepper spray