XT 12 speed vs Sram 12spd

Apemanscolony

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not being condescending at all, but I cannot help it if you think I am. My point remains, though. It's not a "defeat" and I wish more people realised that.

Unbelievable...! I really feel sorry for your husband. O flip sorry I see you are indeed a man. He apologised in his way!!! Just accept it and move on????

Unbelievable...! I really feel sorry for your husband. O flip sorry I see you are indeed a man. He apologised in his way!!! Just accept it and move on

:lol:

Cute. 

Edit: Strange that you think he needs to apologise. Not sure he has, and I don't think he needs to. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

SRAM is great at innovation. And their stuff is light. Less durable though in my experience (I have never had stuff above GX level). Their brakes should be banned as safety hazards (although everyone raves about the Codes)!

Shimano just works! I am going full XT 12 as soon as I can.

For someone that is not rich or sponsored Shimano is better.

There always has to be one. XTR doesn't cost anything near XX1 (or XO1 for that matter). Besides I did state it's not fair to compare GX and XTR.

Agreed, you did say that...but at the same time you did make the comparison.

SRAM is great at innovation. And their stuff is light. Less durable though in my experience (I have never had stuff above GX level). Their brakes should be banned as safety hazards (although everyone raves about the Codes)!

Agreed - the brakes are terrible. I've been through Level and Guide Ultimates.... ultimately horrible!!

I’m really quite intrigued by the comments around SRAM brakes being like death traps. Ten years ago there was truth in this but the last few years their Code, guide and Level brakes have been absolutely superb. And I am a Hope Tech And Formula Brakes fan. The Level feels like a formula cura with more stopping power. They deal with heat a lot better than previous SRAM brakes and all allow the user to regulate the amount of clamping force required to slow the bike appropriately. Reliability is on apr with any other brake product. I get it people like shims I but at least update your knowledge and experience with the latest products from other companies.

:lol:

Cute.

Edit: Strange that you think he needs to apologise. Not sure he has, and I don't think he needs to.

Really? Still? I can't even remember what it was about.

I am very keen to try SRAM Codes, but alas R7000-8000 is serious coin for brakes.

I currently have the Guide R (2019), some people like them but I just can't get along with them. I have a set of SLX that I bought new from CWC for R1200 that are 4 years old and they wipe the floor with the Guides. 

I’m really quite intrigued by the comments around SRAM brakes being like death traps. Ten years ago there was truth in this but the last few years their Code, guide and Level brakes have been absolutely superb. And I am a Hope Tech And Formula Brakes fan. The Level feels like a formula cura with more stopping power. They deal with heat a lot better than previous SRAM brakes and all allow the user to regulate the amount of clamping force required to slow the bike appropriately. Reliability is on apr with any other brake product. I get it people like shims I but at least update your knowledge and experience with the latest products from other companies.

I am very keen to try SRAM Codes, but alas R7000-8000 is serious coin for brakes.

I currently have the Guide R (2019), some people like them but I just can't get along with them. I have a set of SLX that I bought new from CWC for R1200 that are 4 years old and they wipe the floor with the Guides.

.the guide r is a very different brake to the Rs and RSC. I also don't like the R, but the others are excellent. Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Have just been through guide ultimate and now on level ultimates. In my bike room I have bikes with Formula R1's, XTR and SLX. The SRAM brakes have technical issues that are very well documented internationally. You send them to the agents and you get 20 questions. I could show them a large number of international threads where people had endured the same issues. There is a design flaw or a manufacturing tolerance issue in the brakes. Instead of a recall the consumer suffers.

I love engineering. My Hope brakes were amazing but sourcing spares became boring. My R1's are beautiful to look at and have a great tactile lever pull. The Shims just work but are a little dull and have poor "feel". The SRAMS have incredible modulation but are as reliable as an old Fiat.

what is it that you don't like about the Guide R? Besides being an entry level product.

Have just been through guide ultimate and now on level ultimates. In my bike room I have bikes with Formula R1's, XTR and SLX. The SRAM brakes have technical issues that are very well documented internationally. You send them to the agents and you get 20 questions. I could show them a large number of international threads where people had endured the same issues. There is a design flaw or a manufacturing tolerance issue in the brakes. Instead of a recall the consumer suffers.

I love engineering. My Hope brakes were amazing but sourcing spares became boring. My R1's are beautiful to look at and have a great tactile lever pull. The Shims just work but are a little dull and have poor "feel". The SRAMS have incredible modulation but are as reliable as an old Fiat.

Technical issues that are well documented were the seals that swelled too much and this resulted in slow lever return. A problem rectified in 2016 through replacement of the lever. Many LBS didn't read the bulletin sent out by SRAM and therefore didn't tell their customers. It was easier to sell them more brakes. I've had issues with XTR, R1, Hope XC pro and Magura. All were sorted.

I've got Level TLM and Guide Ultimate now. Both are trouble free. I also have a set of Hope on my wifes bike and Shimano on my daughters. They all work trouble free. Lever feel is very different. I had a Cura equipped bike for a week while mine was in the shop. Loved them. 

Conclusion, in 2019 nearly all bicycle brake companies have sorted out their mid to high end brakes to almost fit and forget. The difference is in the lever shape and mechanical leverage on the master cylinder. Some brakes produce max power early in the lever throw, others later and SRAM is kind of the most progressive of the lot. I've grown to like the way the SRAM brakes deliver clamping pressure, very progressively. I've noticed I've a lot more control over when I skid the rear tyre and very often i'm the one not locking up the rear wheel and slowing down quicker with more grip and control

I've had both my Guide and Level develop a slow lever return and both were warrantied within 72hrs no questions asked - just a quick check of the serial number.

I also know that the SRAM policy on warranty is to replace parts with a known issue - SRAM retains samples of product from every batch and tests those parts in the field and on dyno's -   so it's easy to see when there's a load of BS out there on the web. As I mentioned SRAM had a group of technical and marketing people out here in SA recently to deliver training and to visit distributors and bike shops. Some of the issues you raise were pretty clearly due to LBS not checking serial numbers  of parts on bikes to see whether they fall within batch ranges where a problem as identified. Often the Shops just sell a different set of brakes and never send the parts for warranty.

I'm a very discerning cyclist. I am very particular about every part on my bike. That's probably why i suffer very very few mechanicals. I'm not the kind of person that would use a product riddled with problems. I've been totally stoked with the SRAM Level TLM,& GUIDE ULT. 

My biggest crit of the Sram brake is, darn can they make hem look more exciting!!!??? I look at Cura's and I think Star Wars. Look at Hope and I think Sky Captain. Even Shimano XTR looks more exciting. How about a Gold caliper to match the cassette huh SRAM? Or some nice Fluo Yellow or day glow Red. When you're great flaunt it!

Hi

Just switched from sram gx to xt 12spd just love the new ratio of the 3top gears 51,45,39 ideal for me as a 100kg + rider find myself spending 80% of the climbs in 2nd gear and the tough "sementbult" in 51.

Shifting under load way better