XT 12 speed vs Sram 12spd

Apemanscolony

Phew, but the SRAM riders are protective hey.

If you look at a lot of the parts, XO1 Eagle and XX1 is pretty much the same.  XO1 as said is more for the enduro / trail riders, and XX1 for the XC guys.   Rear cassette?  different colour. Cranks, a little beefed up on XO1.

But that said, I've just ditched X01 for the new XT / XTR (cassette) build with 4-pot enduro brakes.  Happy as anything, and hopefully doesn't need fiddling every few months.

That said, even a friend who dumped Eagle for a new 12sp SLX (with XT cassette) build is raving non-stop about how it can shift anywhere, anytime, any cadence, any load up and down like clockwork.  Not to mention being able to use pointer finger to "pull" downshift (and more than one at once).

Each to their own, but honestly, I couldn't imagine going back to X01 now.  Even if it was free.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I happened on a YT channel called 'Hambini' - dude purports to be an engineer and makes bespoke BBs it seems. I watch it for entertainment, and he's not a SRAM-fan at all. anyway, it's entertaining, and there's a few things to learn. 

Looking at pricing etc, I'm moving to XT once the micro spline is available for HOPE hubs.

Nice thing is you a mix and match these systems with very little problems.

There may be employees of the importer or friends of them posting, the discussion has not turned into a flame war yet, just handbags.

This top pro gave some live comments:

https://streamable.com/o44uh

(It seems like everyting is not working 100% there.)

:ph34r:

Edited by Christie

Edit: Strange that you think he needs to apologise. Not sure he has, and I don't think he needs to. 

I haven't and I agree with the Fatbastard that I don't need to regarding the initial debate  :)

I will apologise for accusing you of being condescending though if that was not your intention. It came across that way to me.

I haven't and I agree with the Fatbastard that I don't need to regarding the initial debate  :)

I will apologise for accusing you of being condescending though if that was not your intention. It came across that way to me.

Saul Goodman...

:P

I have a SRAM GX 11 speed on my bike, for the most part I am happy with it, but it has an issue when shifting down the cassette, from the bigger sprockets to smaller sprockets, it takes its sweet time shifting, sometimes I have to shift down 2 gears and then up one again to get it to change, I have set the B-tension with the guide tool, whe it is that tension it is the worst, gone out about 2 turns, maybe more and it is much better now, but still a little slow, could the chain maybe be to short? Or what else could cause this issue?

I have a SRAM GX 11 speed on my bike, for the most part I am happy with it, but it has an issue when shifting down the cassette, from the bigger sprockets to smaller sprockets, it takes its sweet time shifting, sometimes I have to shift down 2 gears and then up one again to get it to change, I have set the B-tension with the guide tool, whe it is that tension it is the worst, gone out about 2 turns, maybe more and it is much better now, but still a little slow, could the chain maybe be to short? Or what else could cause this issue?

could be any of the following including a worn chain:

1) the Rollamajig bearing is shot to hell. That's the little wheel on the back end of your derailleur that the cable loops around before being routed to the pinch bol . It does wear out and is replaceable.

2) The derailleur spring has fatigued and become a little slow. This is typically a warranty issue if the derailleur isn't old and damaged from repeated rock strikes. I've heard of a few derailleurs from different brands developing this issue. Springs wear out. To check this you will need to remove the derailleur and send it to Cape Cycle Systems in Ottery, Cape Town to check it on their derailleur dyno.

3) your cable housing is dirty and cable is a bit corroded

4) The shifter is not releasing the cable smoothly and this could be due to dirt or water inside it. Open the cover and check the condition.

The last two points you can check at home. Also check the outer housing for kinks. Often if the handlebar is rotated too far and the bike has internal cable routing the housing will get pinched and therefore kinked. This creates a bump in the inner liner that the cable rubs against which affects its release.

Let us know how you go.

Edited by DieselnDust

1. Rollamajig is fine, cleaned and lubed it, working well

2. That I haven't/cant check

3. Replaced inner cable and cleaned and lubed the outer, all good there

4. Cleaned and lubed shifter.

5. Chain was worn .6% so replaced that with a XX1 Eagle chain

It is shifting smooth now, and runs nice and quiet, thanks ???? thanks for the help

GX 12-speed also has this issue (mine has done 5,000kms+)

• 7 months later...

I'm considering XT 12 Speed for my next hardtail build.

Are there any XT 12 Speed users that can give me some rider feedback please?

Ive read positive reviews on the XT 12 speed regarding the smooth shifting under load. (Sounds great)

Ive read negative feedback about the XT 12 Speed clutch issues. Seems to get stuck and then needs a a clutch service with specific Shimano grease. (Sounds like a pain in the butt)

Hi Ivan.  I'd say go for it.  I moved over from XT M8000 11 speed to the new XT M8100 12 speed a couple of months ago and I'm genuinely impressed.  It's really as good as all the reviews say.  IMO the shifting is noticeably softer and slightly more crisp than the XT M8000.  They also got the gear steps on the cassette exactly right.  I never feel like I need some more/less or in between gears.  The shifting under load is phenomenal and like most of the reviews say, it's almost better the more pressure you apply!  It blows the mind that the ramps on the cassette pick up the chain without any issue.  The whole drivetrain is quick and easy to install in less than two hours.  It's also an incredibly quiet drivetrain.  The clutch issue isn't new XT 12 speed specific and has been around with the previous generation XT as well.  Seems it's hit and miss with the clutch issue and not everyone experiences it.  Best would be to do a once or twice a year grease of the clutch.  Takes no more than 5 min to do.

I agree - the best thing about Shimano 12 sp is the sensible cog sizes at the lower (easier) end of the cassette. Much more linear than sram. The Sram 50 tooth is a bailout gear, leaving you hunting for the right gear between cog 1 & 2.

Hi

Just switched from sram gx to xt 12spd just love the new ratio of the 3top gears 51,45,39 ideal for me as a 100kg + rider find myself spending 80% of the climbs in 2nd gear and the tough "sementbult" in 51.

Shifting under load way better

Short user of the 12sp XT here.  (Long time SRAM user)

All is working perfect at this stage with around 1000km done.

The only thing I can fault is the trigger shifter down shift button is positioned crappy.  You can just, just touch it with your thumb.  
You can get around it by throwing money at the problem and getting the I-Spec II version of the shifter that then integrates with the brakes and that will help with the spacing.  

I am currently running xtr 12 speed shifter and derailleur and xt cassette. I am impressed by its performance over the previous generation 11 speed xtr. I went with Shimano as I felt it was the best bang for buck option.