3 abreast

MonsterMan

Diesel are you one of them ???

To OP you may actually not

use your phone while cycing

sadly no. But they're a lekker bunch and we passed them while going in the opposite direction. There were a lot of DC teams out on the road today and hoards of dirt roadies heading in the same direction as that group so why did only they get singled out? Its not like this is an infrequent thing on Cape Town's roads. Hopefully this won't be the OP's only post on this matter since he/she is now the self appointed cycling group ride etiquette  police. I would expect at least 20 posts on  weekend with similar photo's . And while they're at it, please include all the twits behind the wheel of a motor vehicle as well since they're the bigger problem. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The butthurt on this thread is astounding.

They duffed it on the day (as agreed by the club). Can't we just agree and use this as an example of what change is needed without all the what ifs, theoretical assumptions and return accusations. Hell even the person offering the apology had a dig at the poster.

It's ridiculous.

The butthurt on this thread is astounding.

They duffed it on the day (as agreed by the club). Can't we just agree and use this as an example of what change is needed without all the what ifs, theoretical assumptions and return accusations. Hell even the person offering the apology had a dig at the poster.

It's ridiculous.

Isn't that the south African condition?

Unfortunately one of out teams were a bit overenthusastic on the ride and broke with team rules on single file riding. We have addressed it with the team concerned. We apprecaite the heads up but sadly some of the comments appear very vindicative and personal, perhaps a call to the club chairman would have been more constructive and mature.Keep safe

Really - more constructive and mature? When it was raised with the cyclists in question they acted like tjops which makes them fair game in my books. It's twits like this that create animosity with motorists - also love how some of our brethren seem to think that by pointing out some issue with the person posting or the photographer that it nullifies this groups actions - sad!

So I'm going to be the unpopular opinion in this situation, so take it with a pinch of salt :ph34r: . I don't live in Cape Town so don't know the road, but being a pro I spend an exorbitant amount of time on the road so experience a lot more than the average rider. So going on the photo, yes riders are riding 3 abreast ( looks like two are overtaking so technically 2 abreast as mentioned previously) however, looking at the photo. Does it matter........ this is a solid line? on a blind corner? with no yellow line? So really should you in any right mind be looking at trying to overtake any rider, let alone a group of them, without putting both yourself, fellow motorists and the cyclists at hand in danger. Like i say I dont know the road but i literally had this exact argument with a motorist the other day who nearly took out on a blind corner.

Unfortunately we are so busy jumping up and down about the cyclist not riding on the side of the road ( the most dangerous place to ride as it gives motorists space to not think about taking the gap or not and thus passing us closer than is safe, argument for another day) than actually following the primary rule of overtaking, only do so when its safe to. 10 seconds of your life is not worth someone else life.

So I'm going to be the unpopular opinion in this situation, so take it with a pinch of salt :ph34r: . I don't live in Cape Town so don't know the road, but being a pro I spend an exorbitant amount of time on the road so experience a lot more than the average rider. So going on the photo, yes riders are riding 3 abreast ( looks like two are overtaking so technically 2 abreast as mentioned previously) however, looking at the photo. Does it matter........ this is a solid line? on a blind corner? with no yellow line? So really should you in any right mind be looking at trying to overtake any rider, let alone a group of them, without putting both yourself, fellow motorists and the cyclists at hand in danger. Like i say I dont know the road but i literally had this exact argument with a motorist the other day who nearly took out on a blind corner.

Unfortunately we are so busy jumping up and down about the cyclist not riding on the side of the road ( the most dangerous place to ride as it gives motorists space to not think about taking the gap or not and thus passing us closer than is safe, argument for another day) than actually following the primary rule of overtaking, only do so when its safe to. 10 seconds of your life is not worth someone else life.

a reasoned opinion at last

What cheeses me off is the mentality that we as cyclists want to be treated as equal road users when it suits us (ie: full use of a lane, not being cut off, etc etc), but a special user the rest of the time (running red lights, overtaking whenever we want, riding 2, 3, 4 abreast.

We need to choose, we are either equal road users which gets us all the privileges of road usage, but also means we need to follow all the rules; or we do what we want, but then cannot blame drivers for not giving a crap about our safety.

Msybe, maybe not. It depends upon what vehicle is trying trying to get past. A small(er) car or a motorcyclist would have no difficulty if the cyclists were riding single file. But as it is, they block that too. Reminds me of the morning runners in my area. The pack spreads out right across the road. Even though I'm only on a bicycle, I can't get past.

It honestly doesn't matter the size of the car and besides in this case there is no way you can fit two cars( overtaking said cyclist and oncoming vehicle) and a cyclist with out everyone having enough space and someone having to swerve off the road. Still puts everyone at risk. If it was a tractor we wouldn't be having this conversation even though it would be traveling slower. It all boils down to a lack of patience and complete disregard for human life

Msybe, maybe not. It depends upon what vehicle is trying trying to get past. A small(er) car or a motorcyclist would have no difficulty if the cyclists were riding single file. But as it is, they block that too. Reminds me of the morning runners in my area. The pack spreads out right across the road. Even though I'm only on a bicycle, I can't get past.

Edited by _Pat_

No,the same nonsense that is regurgitated over and over to attempt to justify arrogant,self entitled,inconsiderate,illegal and foolhardy behaviour.

WOW Prof Xavier can you tell me the Lotto numbers too?

Show me the cyclist who have never ever, not even once, skipped or ghosted through a red traffic light, not stopped at a Stop or not ridden two or even three abreast.

THAT PERSON DOES NOT EXIST!!!!!!! 

So everyone getting their knickers in a knot, calm down, take a deep breath and go and ride your bike.

Jeesh, this sanctimonious crap sometimes just get to me. 

What cheeses me off is the mentality that we as cyclists want to be treated as equal road users when it suits us (ie: full use of a lane, not being cut off, etc etc), but a special user the rest of the time (running red lights, overtaking whenever we want, riding 2, 3, 4 abreast.

We need to choose, we are either equal road users which gets us all the privileges of road usage, but also means we need to follow all the rules; or we do what we want, but then cannot blame drivers for not giving a crap about our safety.

Why do we always assume that the motor vehicle has a right to pass us unimpeded? 

Its the passing vehicles duty to pass safely and when safe to do. We cyclists have to stop being apologetic for being on the road. Yes that club group was in the wrong in that photo. Were they also in the wrong 100% of their ride or just in those moments when the paparazzi decided to take a happy snap?

This BS of vilifying other cyclists has got to stop if we want to see a real change in attitude on our roads. We make excuses for the killers in cages and crucify our own for the smallest of transgressions. 

but i get it, things are slow around here in the bikehub world. there's not much to talk about so lets rather have a go at each other instead of what we do about the very real problem of horrendously *** and impatient driving of motor vehicles on our roads.

Oh wait, cyclists cause *** driving too :whistling: 

Edited by DieselnDust

Why do we always assume that the motor vehicle has a right to pass us unimpeded? 

Its the passing vehicles duty to pass safely and when safe to do. We cyclists have to stop being apologetic for being on the road. Yes that club group was in the wrong in that photo. Were they also in the wrong 100% of their ride or just in those moments when the paparazzi decided to take a happy snap?

This BS of vilifying other cyclists has got to stop if we want to see a real change in attitude on our roads. We make excuses for the killers in cages and crucify our own for the smallest of transgressions. 

100% agree with you, we do not have to apologize for being on the road at all. What I am saying is that if we are equal road users, the laws equally apply to us. We cannot complain about drivers not following the laws if we don't - you can't have your cake and eat it. 

And of course, no one is perfect - and no one should be crucified for not following rules 100%, 100% of the time. I have broken laws on my bike and in my car, I'm sure everyone has. What I am saying - is that as cyclists (and drivers), let's try stick to the law.