3 abreast

MonsterMan

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

100% agree with you, we do not have to apologize for being on the road at all. What I am saying is that if we are equal road users, the laws equally apply to us. We cannot complain about drivers not following the laws if we don't - you can't have your cake and eat it. 

And of course, no one is perfect - and no one should be crucified for not following rules 100%, 100% of the time. I have broken laws on my bike and in my car, I'm sure everyone has. What I am saying - is that as cyclists (and drivers), let's try stick to the law. 

agreed, we can;t have our cake and eat it but we as a cycling community really needs to learn to deal with our own internal challenges without trying to slit each others throats in public.

As the spokesperson from the focus club said they have dealt with it internally. Lets not forget that the reason many people ride with a club is for safety. If we were treated as equal rad users then we wouldn't have the need  for pack mentality. As it stands, the more you abide by the road traffic act the more 2nd rate you are treated by motorists. There is no respect given for being a law abiding cyclists. 

We need to start changing the narrative on our rights and stop being 2nd rate. Some laws need to be changed and we need to be advocating for that rather than posting pics on our chat groups about how *** the next guy is.

since the tjop that took the picture in secret and decided to shame these okes on social media wasnt in a car and there is no car behind them or anywhere in the distance, then technically speaking there is no danger so they can take up the entire road if they want to, who cares!! if a tree falls in the middle of the wood and no one is there to see or hear it, did the tree fall? Get yourself a hobby or do something constructive with your time than to moan about nonsense on forums or social media

It honestly doesn't matter the size of the car and besides in this case there is no way you can fit two cars( overtaking said cyclist and oncoming vehicle) and a cyclist with out everyone having enough space and someone having to swerve off the road. Still puts everyone at risk.

Pat, how do you know? It looks wide enough to me. Take something like a Smart. It'll very easily get past IMHO.

BTW, I note you ducked the point about the motorcyclist.

since the tjop that took the picture in secret and decided to shame these okes on social media wasnt in a car and there is no car behind them or anywhere in the distance, then technically speaking there is no danger so they can take up the entire road if they want to, who cares!! if a tree falls in the middle of the wood and no one is there to see or hear it, did the tree fall? Get yourself a hobby or do something constructive with your time than to moan about nonsense on forums or social media

Yes but its clearly on a curve. Once round the corner an approaching driver can't see them very easily - until it's possibly too late. There's a reason there are solid lines there. Etc.

Anyway.

The funny thing is, this could have all been avoided if the said group acknowledged they were wrong and correct their actions. Its not about being the POLICE.BUT no, comments, laughter and a whole bunch of other bs was said. Hence the post. Like many have said, its the safety of the cyclist in the picture as well as all others on the road. But no, some think cause they have status they can rule the road. Not fair.

The disregard for human life is certainly a factor on our roads. Every cyclist knows this. Another factor is the flagrant disregard of the law displayed by many road users of all kinds, pedestrians, motorists and cyclists oftennusing the rationale you provide... its safer this way or it is safer to break the law.

That's eeally the discussion point. Should we sanction cyclists breaking the law because it is safer? And if so where is the line?

It honestly doesn't matter the size of the car and besides in this case there is no way you can fit two cars( overtaking said cyclist and oncoming vehicle) and a cyclist with out everyone having enough space and someone having to swerve off the road. Still puts everyone at risk. If it was a tractor we wouldn't be having this conversation even though it would be traveling slower. It all boils down to a lack of patience and complete disregard for human life

Also, there are numerous signs and road markings on that stretch instructing us to ride single file. But it only counts if there are no cars?

The funny thing is, this could have all been avoided if the said group acknowledged they were wrong and correct their actions. Its not about being the POLICE.BUT no, comments, laughter and a whole bunch of other bs was said. Hence the post. Like many have said, its the safety of the cyclist in the picture as well as all others on the road. But no, some think cause they have status they can rule the road. Not fair.

you should ride your bike more, then you won't be this grumpy !

Nothing that can or should be said here will change the perpetrators' behaviour.... really, it'll be like hooting at a taxi... next opportunity, same result... and each and every time, cyclists get a worse rep.

Too true

Nothing that can or should be said here will change the perpetrators' behaviour.... really, it'll be like hooting at a taxi... next opportunity, same result... and each and every time, cyclists get a worse rep.

Also, there are numerous signs and road markings on that stretch instructing us to ride single file. But it only counts if there are no cars?

Well, thing is... I don't know about everyone else but I don't always hear a car coming from behind. And if it approaches from behind around a bend like that, I'm even less likely to do so. I guess from the pic and the comment quoted above that it's Chappies. The thing is that its not just the cyclists that are at risk. A motorist coming from behind around a bend and coming upon this group unexpectedly may well swerve in panic - possibly into other traffic or something worse could happen. That's already a fairly dangerous (although beautiful) stretch of road.

FWIW, I have on a few occasions safely passed cyclists and runners in single file on that road while driving along it. So I don't buy the "bunching up is safer because the cars can't safely pass anyway" argument.

Dunno.

I drive that road often and as a tour guide doing a Cape Peninsula tour on a Sunday is my least favourite...not because of the cyclist...but the fact I'm not cycling. Speed limit on that road is about 40km/h and with my Hyundai H1 I have easily avoided hitting any cyclists. Funny thing is ..the tourists are more agitated about the cyclists than what I am..remarks such as 'Oh you have them as well' or ' We'll tip you extra if you hit them'...I take with a pinch of salt...so no it's not only Saffas that have a problem with cyclists...we've managed to p*ss them off worldwide...????

Alternative opinion - that pic is at the bottom end of Chappies before the toll booth heading towards Noordhoek.  At that point in the road its pretty flat and with a group you'll easily be able to ride at 35-40km/h anyway.  The speed limit for everyone along there is 40km/h so a car wouldn't "legally" be able to pass anyway.  

I love these discussions.

We happily forgive crappy cycling whilst vilifying motorists whilst simultanepusly being perfect motorists ourselves. We're awesome - it's always those not us that cause the problems. Damn those other people!