[Event] Paarl Cycle Tour

Paarl Rotary

Batch B and Batch C times looks very close. 39.18kmh and 39.08kmh average.

In D we managed to keep the average above 38kmh.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So of those that finished:

97km: 1072

71km: 273 (winners average 34km/h)

46km: 148

Edited by LeoKnight

Awesome race, very well organized.

I was in E group, that was a big crash, hope all involved is okay. There was almost a few crashes in E bunch, guys also riding in the opposite lane in the last 1km,was scary

Was nice seeing the Savages for the few seconds of the race

I did note on this that there was a large group of about 50-70 riders that were taking up the entire road such that no traffic could get past.  When there are no road closures one still needs to respect the traffic, because one day that really close truck will get too close.

There's absolutely no reason for a group that size to take up the entire road.

And the traffic turned out to be handled quite well by the organizers!

I did note on this that there was a large group of about 50-70 riders that were taking up the entire road such that no traffic could get past. When there are no road closures one still needs to respect the traffic, because one day that really close truck will get too close.

https://instagram.com/stories/team_millennium_race/2235004929525643457?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=x5wkpir0f86y

Truck you say???

Edited by Twaatie

I did note on this that there was a large group of about 50-70 riders that were taking up the entire road such that no traffic could get past. When there are no road closures one still needs to respect the traffic, because one day that really close truck will get too close.

The cars just have to pass as if they were passing a slow moving truck. Otherwise the group would be 300m long and a car would never be able to make a safe overtake.

Yip I agree. They could've had motorbike marshalls with each batch at least. The motorbike only picked us up with 10km to go. The marshall that rode his bicycle in our group had a hard time keeping one lady rider to the left of the middle line for about 10mins. She ignored him two or three times, probably just thought he's a random rider giving her an earful.

I was initially actually just refering to the venue traffic, getting in and out for us was easier than expected.

Edited by JohanDiv

The cars just have to pass as if they were passing a slow moving truck. Otherwise the group would be 300m long and a car would never be able to make a safe overtake.

They can’t. The group was across the entire road. I suppose a 4x4 can take a chance in the verge.

Hi. Looking for a Garmin 830 that was dropped somewhere between 92km - finish. Belongs to a friend who crashed. Please contact me on 0722478666. Thanks

They can’t. The group was across the entire road. I suppose a 4x4 can take a chance in the verge.

crossing the white line? Then yes agree need to sort themselves out.

Also went down in that crash. The first fall happened about three bikes in front of me, do you have any idea what went wrong? It was on a straight and wide road!

Regardless, 10/10 to Paarl Rotary Club. Especially for not succumbing to pressure to increase the field size. Excellent event

Two riders converged at higher speed as we hit the start of the hill and went straight into each other from the side -  then came down taking a lot of us with them. It was surreal and silly (as most crashes normally are :whistling:). I was right behind them. I tried to hop over but came down, going to need a new helmet and front wheel rebuild - lucky to escape quite lightly .

Ironically I'd been in front working in the pace line for quite a while, then thought, I'd move back into the bunch and save some matches for the final run in. Next up 99er, weather's looking good  :clap:

Glad to see my doomsday predictions re the traffic turned out to be greatly exaggerated, trust some of you bumped up your Argus seedings on Sunday  :thumbup:  

what are your guys assumptions on Beta of this race and will they adjust the winners time?

This route and conditions was very close to Sportive #8.. There they adjusted with 4min and Beta 0.72 I think. I'm expecting more or less the same here.

I think guys in C did well to get a time so close to B, their seeding should improve a bit. Not expecting too much of a bump for us that rode in D.

what are your guys assumptions on Beta of this race and will they adjust the winners time?

Relatively flat and easy race, so don't expect too much help from the Beta. And neither from winner's time adjustment I think.