Wahoo kickr

rogerdias

Looking to buy a wahoo kickr but is it really worth it?they not cheap.looking at the gen 2 or 3 as that is still bout 10-13k

It depends. They are great if you use them. If you can get into Zwift or Sufferfest then they can be quite fun and you get a good workout in minimal time. But obviously they are not worth it if they don’t motivate you to ride.

I got one as a bundle deal with my previous bike and man you can use you Garmin or wahoo device to do some proper structured training, Thinking back I will totaly buy one if given the choice and budget.

I would love a Kickr and if I had the cash kickring around my bank account I would be setting it up ... but alas there are other priorities at the moment. Maybe by the time winter rolls around again.

I would say that a smart trainer is the single most effective tool to improve your cycling strength - if you use it!

And as smart trainers go, Wahoo is one of the better ones.  

In my opinion you would need a third party service in conjunction with the trainer - something like Zwift, TrainerRoad, Sufferfest, Rouvy, Road Grand Tours etc.  Wahoo do have their own basic training app, but it's pretty simplistic...  So add the cost of this service into the budget...

And then, if you do add one of these services, you will need to have a device to run said app on.  So tablet, ipad, PC.  If you have this kicking around great, if not, it adds to the cost.

But again, money well spent if you use it!

Great training tool, especially if you're time crunched, have a hectic schedule with work, family, etc., that doesn't allow much time for training during daylight hours outside during the week. As mentioned above, factor subscription fees of your training app into your budget, as well as the purchase of the the most beastly fan you can find. You will need the fan. Also, you can use your phone to control the trainer, with most apps supporting Android and IOS.

Edit: have a look at the Kickr Core as well. It's basically a Kickr 3 but with a different structure. I've seen a few deals for them at around 13k. I think the latest firmware allows the reporting of cadence on the Core.

Edited by aiyaaz

I would say that a smart trainer is the single most effective tool to improve your cycling strength - if you use it!

And as smart trainers go, Wahoo is one of the better ones.

In my opinion you would need a third party service in conjunction with the trainer - something like Zwift, TrainerRoad, Sufferfest, Rouvy, Road Grand Tours etc. Wahoo do have their own basic training app, but it's pretty simplistic... So add the cost of this service into the budget...

And then, if you do add one of these services, you will need to have a device to run said app on. So tablet, ipad, PC. If you have this kicking around great, if not, it adds to the cost.

But again, money well spent if you use it!

Thank you,is there much of a difference between the 3 and 4?

FWIW, I spent a lot of time contemplating the Wahoo Kickr 4. After having done all the homework I went with a TACX Neo 2 (not 2T) rather than the Wahoo.

BUT, in reality I don't find all that much advantage over my old Cyclops Powersync (Bluetooth), which was a very quiet and very good wheel on trainer - and they can be found used for less than 20% of a new Kickr or TACX Neo. However, I needed - for reasons idiosyncratic to myself- a trainer that is BOTH Bluetooth and ANT compatible. Otherwise I would happily have stayed with Cyclops.

Main difference will be the noise the trainer generates. The Kickr 4 is basically silent...all noise will be from your drive train and fan only. Kickr 4 has a larger flywheel but even DC Rainmaker and GPlama couldn't tell the difference.

Thank you,is there much of a difference between the 3 and 4?

Looking to buy a wahoo kickr but is it really worth it?they not cheap.looking at the gen 2 or 3 as that is still bout 10-13k

Some more random thoughts added to the previous posts ....

- NOISE levels ... the KickrCORE works VERY nicely for me !  By far the most noise comes from the desk fan I use to stay cool

- software .... different strokes for different folks, AND it depends on what hardware you have to run it ... ZWIFT simply works the best for ME.  (then again, some of the other leading brands would run smoothly on the hardware I had to spare for this setup)

- WHY do you want a "trainer" ? - IF you truly want a "trainer", well then it is a no brainer.  If you are like so many other owners, just using it to stay in the saddle on those days that the weather/life keeps you in the house ... okay, yes, it is a chink of change ... but MAN, it simply WORKS to keep those legs going !!

probably one of the most difficult purchases to motivate to a non-cycling person.  But I am GLAD I did it !!

IDT:

For your structure of your training you can't go wrong.

For building some miles on rainy days you can't go wrong.

Kickr or Tacx or Elite smart trainers all much of a muchness.

But best option and always has been is to ride your bike.

However, I needed - for reasons idiosyncratic to myself- a trainer that is BOTH Bluetooth and ANT compatible. 

I don't think you are alone.  There are a number of us out there that 'need' both formats...  :thumbup: