Solutions for loadshedding

Rocket-Boy

Some advice needed. 

I already have a grid tied solar solution installed but it doesn't support batteries. 

My house has a 220v input where my generator plugs in with a manual switch over on the DB so we can power the house during loadshedding. 

I'm fairly gatvol of the smell and noise so I want a big powerstation / UPS that can just replace the generator. 

Found this: https://www.powerprovider.co.za/product/energy-independence-3kva-2-5-kwh-compact-power-station/

Will be R45k with an extra battery added. A lot cheaper than the R85k guys want to charge me to replace my inverter and to add a 5wh battery solution.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What inverter do you have?
How many panels (what size and how many)?

The guys that did mine, and some friends, can add a 5kVA inverter and 5.1kVA battery for R45k (plus a bit of labour). In fact, it could be less, as this was last year when the USD/ZAR was higher than current.

R85K would be for a complete system with solar array (panels).

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

What inverter do you have?
How many panels (what size and how many)?

The guys that did mine, and some friends, can add a 5kVA inverter and 5.1kVA battery for R45k (plus a bit of labour). In fact, it could be less, as this was last year when the USD/ZAR was higher than current.

R85K would be for a complete system with solar array (panels).

It's an older unit that can only push back into the grid when it generates. 16 200w panels that sit at around 3kw during peak sun in ideal conditions. 

The suggested R85k solution is for: 

Synsynk inverter
5kwh battery
cabling
Wall installation
Earth Spikes.

Basically a brand new install that excludes panels.

Edited by Steady Spin

4 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

It's an older unit that can only push back into the grid when it generates. 16 200w panels that sit at around 3kw during peak sun in ideal conditions. 

The suggested R85k solution is for: 

Synsynk inverter
5kwh battery
cabling
Wall installation
Earth Spikes.

Basically a brand new install that excludes panels.

Sunsynk 5kVA is R19k
5kAA battery is about R25k
Installation is about R10k (including hardware)
That's R53k for a system that will get you 85-90% off the grid if you manage the timing of when loads are used.

If you want the installer's number, let me know; I'll share it by PM.

18 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Sunsynk 5kVA is R19k
5kAA battery is about R25k
Installation is about R10k (including hardware)
That's R53k for a system that will get you 85-90% off the grid if you manage the timing of when loads are used.

If you want the installer's number, let me know; I'll share it by PM.

I will really appreciate that.

3 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Some advice needed. 

I already have a grid tied solar solution installed but it doesn't support batteries. 

My house has a 220v input where my generator plugs in with a manual switch over on the DB so we can power the house during loadshedding. 

I'm fairly gatvol of the smell and noise so I want a big powerstation / UPS that can just replace the generator. 

Found this: https://www.powerprovider.co.za/product/energy-independence-3kva-2-5-kwh-compact-power-station/

Will be R45k with an extra battery added. A lot cheaper than the R85k guys want to charge me to replace my inverter and to add a 5wh battery solution.

That's a really great unit and very cost effective.

It is my brother-in-laws company, give him a call, he will be more than happy to answer all your questions.

Neil 0 8 3 3 2 4 3 9 6 6

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, fanievb said:

Sunsynk 8kva with 10kwh Freedom e-tower batteries installed and 12x455watt solar panels (facing East & West). Layout done to provide for expansion later on. (but I need to paint my garage first) 

FB_IMG_1646068154023.jpg.f8e27e6102c64ff2b7bcb8601efdd8b1.jpgFB_IMG_1646068159718.jpg.1129c4254fab89fa8e94962a1fd1496d.jpgFB_IMG_1646068156996.jpg.64823f1b74b57b64c987907a97e6f367.jpg

How much did this setup cost you and did you or an external party do the install ?

16 minutes ago, fanievb said:

Sunsynk 8kva with 10kwh Freedom e-tower batteries installed and 12x455watt solar panels (facing East & West). Layout done to provide for expansion later on. (but I need to paint my garage first) 

FB_IMG_1646068154023.jpg.f8e27e6102c64ff2b7bcb8601efdd8b1.jpgFB_IMG_1646068159718.jpg.1129c4254fab89fa8e94962a1fd1496d.jpgFB_IMG_1646068156996.jpg.64823f1b74b57b64c987907a97e6f367.jpg

Lekker man. I’d say welcome to the dark side,  but you too have lights now, on those dark nights.

15 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

How much did this setup cost you and did you or an external party do the install ?

R180k installed with a COC (what I know about lectrics is VERY dangerous) 

11 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Lekker man. I’d say welcome to the dark side,  but you too have lights now, on those dark nights.

Only things that won't work during loadshedding is my geyser, pool pump and aircon. 

45 minutes ago, fanievb said:

Only things that won't work during loadshedding is my geyser, pool pump and aircon. 

Only during loadshedding? Not too bad then.

A good alternative solution would be to get a 2kW element for the geyser. With 12x455W at 50% of capacity, you're still generating 2.7kW/hour, as long as you don't run other high load appliances at the same time. I was getting 3kW/hour in the middle of winter at 11:00 - 14:00, so could charge the battery in the morning, run the pool for 1 hour, dishwasher and washing machine all before 11:00. Then the geyser, ironing and battery top up (if needed) after 14:00. Only used the grid on bad days, or when I needed to keep the batteries going through to 08:00 (winter).

Don't be afraid to try different things; you need to find what works for you.

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

Only during loadshedding? Not too bad then.

A good alternative solution would be to get a 2kW element for the geyser. With 12x455W at 50% of capacity, you're still generating 2.7kW/hour, as long as you don't run other high load appliances at the same time. I was getting 3kW/hour in the middle of winter at 11:00 - 14:00, so could charge the battery in the morning, run the pool for 1 hour, dishwasher and washing machine all before 11:00. Then the geyser, ironing and battery top up (if needed) after 14:00. Only used the grid on bad days, or when I needed to keep the batteries going through to 08:00 (winter).

Don't be afraid to try different things; you need to find what works for you.

I have a solar geyser.

Pool pump will run when panels generate excess power

All other non-essential appliances are A rated so they should be able to run off the battery (during power outages will limit to daytime)

Will monitor for the next few weeks and then the installer will come back and change if needs be.

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting this thread. My wife and I have decided to forgo some of the renovations we had planned and rather install a solar system for our home. We use between 650 and 800 a month. We want to install a system that can run everything including geysers, oven etc. Our stove is on gas and all the lighting in the house is LED. All our appliances are A or AA rated.

Is it possible to run all of the above on solar or should I first look at installing gas/solar geyser?

Hi...adding to the resurrection bid, I have a question. With the stage 6 load shedding schedules, my 100ah linknet gel batteries last about 90 mins, so can I connect the Linknet inverter to a generator to  charge the batteries during  that extra stage in the day ?  In this way the batteries  will last the stage at night, powering cctv and alarm. This is for a business btw. Or will the generator mess up the invertor ? Its a Ryobi 7.5 kva. TIA.