Train to Race

Sounds like you've got a good plan made out...good luck with it.

Thank you for all the feedback and input, you guys are very cool. Appreciate it big time!

Stats

I weigh 77 (was 97 kg's three years ago)

45 years old

Training for 2 years

Eat healthy, no smoking

2020 99er time - 3 hours 3 minutes, E group

Just made D group after Tour De PPA, crossing the line with Billy Goat in 3:20 :)

1 hour fresh FTP 239W

1 hour power toward end of races - 180W :o

I'm going to try a winter training plan as per the suggestions to increase and build the base. That makes good sense as there is a huge drop off in performance towards the end of events. There is also some science supporting leg strengthening during the off season with gym squats etc so will give that a go (some guys replace this with high torque / low cadence rides). Lastly, going to try work towards increasing training from 7-9 hours per week towards 10-12 hours.

Hoping for the best.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased Strava Premium when it was all lumped together. I believe they split premium up into three groups so you have to choose what you want now...(I'm unsure now what they each offer - but one I think is active tracking where someone at home can track your progress while you are riding, others offer more analysis on your rides.)

Back to BikeForLife: 2 years is not a very long period...the guys I ride with have been riding for many, many more years than I and the only reason that I can sometimes hang onto the A group is due to my low weight (67kg) and a great road bike otherwise I'm definitely a B batch rider...but hanging onto the A group is great ...but I know my limits and when I'm blown off the back...I just accept it...but still enjoy the ride. 

Would it be ok to ask what kind of watts you are putting down in that beast mode group at 67kg's during a race? If its classified intel, I fully understand.

I don't use a power meter but just take what Strava calculates from my rides...takes too long to cut and paste...

If it will help I can send you a link to a recent ride on Strava...

Edited by robbybzgo

I don't use a power meter but just take what Strava calculates from my rides...takes too long to cut and paste...

If it will help I can send you a link to a recent ride on Strava...

No worries, good luck with the CTCT!

Hi Guys

I might be alone with this one but training both endurance km as well as intervals does not properly prepare me for races. Despite using structured training in a periodized model, ramping up stress over 3 weeks followed by a recovery week for adaptations - Still the random nature of how power is distributed throughout a race make it a very different experience to training. Anyone got any tips how to overcome this and avoid becoming a Zombie by the end of the race?

Race hour 1 - Average 220w

Race hour 2 - Average 200w

Race hour 3 - Average 180w - Multiple hard efforts / attacks by the group during the last hour often mean saying goodbye and goodnight and getting dropped. Usually followed by 5 - 15min riding alone trying to convince myself that the scenery is still worth it.

Thank you

Sounds like a nutrition issue more than anything if you flat at the end of a race. 

Sounds like a nutrition issue more than anything if you flat at the end of a race. 

Thanks for the input, perhaps I am doing it wrong?

2-3 hours pre race - Bowl of pasta with some tomato sauce and a tall glass of half apple juice half water (gross but easy to make)

30 - 45 minutes prior to race - 1 banana

Race hour 1 - 1 gel

Race hour 2 - 1 gel

Race hour 3 - 1 gel

Over the 3 hours of the race also go through 2 x 750 ml bottles of water mixed with Maltodextrin and fructose (2:1 ratio like beta fuel at a fraction of the cost).

When I add a bar to hour one it doesn't help in the end.

Thanks for any advice here!

Life segments are just about the only reason I am on Strava Premium, if there are workarounds around it to get life segments I certainly won't renew my membership.

Have you tested it whether you can chase KOM's, follower's PR's your own PR's?

Skubarra, I've checked yesterday, I'm on the Strava Summit(Training) package that costs R19,99 per month, not full premium member. I see Strava says you have to be on Summit(Analysis) package to be able to access live segments, but I guess under the "Training package" live segments form part of the "Live Performance Data" they advertise? (If not, I guess Wahoo found a way around Strava memberships, because live segments definitively still isn't working on my Sigma and I haven't changed my Strava package) It works flawlessly on the Wahoo Roam. Automatically pops up as you get near the segment. Once segment starts it gives a brief summary of the segment and route profile for a few seconds, then by the click of one button you can switch between comparing against your own PR, follower's PR and KOM's.

I am with J, although I do not have the pedigree which he has to back my assumption  :whistling:

I am "hypoglycemic" and know that if I eat too little on any rides I also start to feel flat. I did a nice exercise over the weekend and every time I felt flat I just ate something. Food, not gels. Gels just spike your sugar levels and then drop you shortly after

Thanks for the input, perhaps I am doing it wrong?

2-3 hours pre race - Bowl of pasta with some tomato sauce and a tall glass of half apple juice half water (gross but easy to make)

30 - 45 minutes prior to race - 1 banana

Race hour 1 - 1 gel

Race hour 2 - 1 gel

Race hour 3 - 1 gel

Over the 3 hours of the race also go through 2 x 750 ml bottles of water mixed with Maltodextrin and fructose (2:1 ratio like beta fuel at a fraction of the cost).

When I add a bar to hour one it doesn't help in the end.

Thanks for any advice here!

Skubarra, I've checked yesterday, I'm on the Strava Summit(Training) package that costs R19,99 per month, not full premium member. I see Strava says you have to be on Summit(Analysis) package to be able to access live segments, but I guess under the "Training package" live segments form part of the "Live Performance Data" they advertise? (If not, I guess Wahoo found a way around Strava memberships, because live segments definitively still isn't working on my Sigma and I haven't changed my Strava package) It works flawlessly on the Wahoo Roam. Automatically pops up as you get near the segment. Once segment starts it gives a brief summary of the segment and route profile for a few seconds, then by the click of one button you can switch between comparing against your own PR, follower's PR and KOM's.

Cool, tx for the feedback - struggling a bit to get info on the training package. Seems Strava not that keen to let you know how to downgrade once you are on the full package  ^_^

Will give it a go when my annual membership comes up in June, can always upgrade to the full package again if it doesn't work

I am with J, although I do not have the pedigree which he has to back my assumption  :whistling:

I am "hypoglycemic" and know that if I eat too little on any rides I also start to feel flat. I did a nice exercise over the weekend and every time I felt flat I just ate something. Food, not gels. Gels just spike your sugar levels and then drop you shortly after

Thanks Robert

I am switching to solids for the CTCT :thumbup:

post-137499-0-05388800-1583246143_thumb.jpg

I have a very quick metabolism and I eat a medium/large meal of chicken breast and veg late at night before the race day. That seems to give me more staying power later on in the race day... a Carb breakfast with brown rice on race day. Also use Hammer nutrition for longer races...