Cape Epic - Pro Team withdraws

DamoCPT

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just hope they dont get a few days in and then call it off.No refunds then for the athletes.Probably wouldn't get anything back now either.

Ironman (same organization) are giving athletes deferrals to next year's events for all cancelled races.

Just hope they dont get a few days in and then call it off.No refunds then for the athletes.Probably wouldn't get anything back now either.

Force majeure .. I would seriously doubt that athletes would get their money back if the event is cancelled. Man, can you imagine how gut wrenching it would be for the lads that have spent the last year preparing for this event, not even mentioning the financial commitment.

Ironman (same organization) are giving athletes deferrals to next year's events for all cancelled races.

That is a great gesture!!

Does the Epic or the riders have insurance for this sort of thing? I know the entire world is doing all sorts so probably not. Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Well, Epic is owned by the Chinese....  :eek:

Does the Epic or the riders have insurance for this sort of thing? I know the entire world is doing all sorts so probably not. Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

They probably do have insurance, but apparently the rules change when such a thing is labelled an 'epidemic'.

Expecting a visitor in Canada in June - under normal circumstances I always tell people to rely on the base insurance offered by most credit cards. The travel agent informed me that since the WHO has declared than an epidemic alternative insurance was required. Not sure if this applies to all insurance, but I am sure in the fine print there will be something limiting insurers' liability given the circumstances

I know there's about 5 different threads holding this covid vs epic chat, but none are where it starts.

Find it a bit harsh how people are judging decisions made so far.

I don't think there's any conclusive advice on where the sweetspot on the COVID19 paranoid<==>business as usual scale is.

Keeping an event running gives individuals the option to participate.

I doubt CE management have taken such a polarising decision that lightly, and have probabkly spent loads of unscheduled time assessing what to do about it.

in general, a tented race village is not a great place for sanitation, if someone rocks up with a bug, plenty are going to get it. you can magae the threat, but not eliminate.

BUT, just last week the funride world champs went off without a hitch. there seemed to be no special measures in place at expo/race route/finish. 23 000 riders plus staff plus supporters, and 5 days later no COVID19 results linked to it - clearly still too soon to know, but no one seems to think it was the wrong call (it's not even been discussed).

I'm not judging anyone in a rock and hard place who has to make some seriously tough decisions right now, must be crap.

If I read the media statement from Specialized correctly , the withdrawal was not so much about them being worried about catching the virus at the event as it was them worrying about getting back to their families in their own countries ?!

My worry would also be that there might be travel bans in place in a week's time ( who knows ?) and I might be stuck not being able to get back to my family for a month ??

Edited by Milkman

in general, a tented race village is not a great place for sanitation, if someone rocks up with a bug, plenty are going to get it. you can magae the threat, but not eliminate.

I think that line sums it up?  If someone is infected, it is unlikely you will stop it spreading in a confined tented village.  If someone gets a tummy virus, they go home and it's gone in a few days.  Not so much with Corna.

With that in mind I think the Organizers are a little naive in their thinking.

Looking at it in hindsight, the event should have been canceled 10 days ago - before all the international visitors arrived.  But obviously things were different 10 days ago.  

Given the situation as it is now, the organizers should at the very least offer a refund or deferment for those not wanting to risk participation.   Yes, the event may run at a loss, but they have and will make large sums of money in past and future events.  If they have to take a hit, so be it.

As a conspiracy theorist, I've seen events start and then cancel simply not to have to refund participants.  I sincerely hope this is not what the organizers are thinking...

It's very easy for us to sit here and criticize.  But for those in the 'bubble' it's a different story.  You have athletes who have invested upwards of R100k to ride, months of training, family sacrifice etc.  And on the event side the organizers are balancing budgets in the millions.   

I'm glad I'm not the one having to make the call.

If I read the media statement from Specialized correctly , the withdrawal was not so much about them being worried about catching the virus at the event as it was them worrying about getting back to their families in their own countries ?!

My worry would also be that there might be travel bans in place in a week's time ( who knows ?) and I might be stuck not being able to get back to my family for a month ??

That is how the statement reads, yes.  Is it just spin or is that really the concern?

I've seen a random tweet that there is a lady specialized team member that is feeling 'poorly'.  Nothing more to substantiate this - could be nothing more than rumours...