2020 Cape Epic Cancelled

News bot

Discuss: 

Ok I'll bite....

I think James is over-reacting. Not every tourist or international traveller is a COVID19 carrier. If these okes are out riding their bikes and they've been here a while now, they're obviously healthy and not ill. Fairly good chance they didn't bring any virus with them form whenst they came.

I feel like some of the reactors are applying xenophobic fear and that's not healthy either. These athletes were out here for a race. Their health has/is being monitored closely. They're probably the lowest risk. Its the peeps who don't have that level of health care that we should be concerned about, oh and all those poepholle coming back from skiing holidays in Italy.

Now the moral matter of standing together in this time of crisis.Indeed we must. We must also be sensible, honest and act without ego. 

Yesterday evening I went for a spin along the green belt. Through Orphen Drive lower forest there must have been a dog convention. Families out walking their dogs. People running and lots of average Joe's on their way to Tokai Mtb Trails. I thought it was quite something to behold. Its like people are taking the opportunity to get back to enjoying life. Who knows where the crisis will be in a month. Are any of these sun revellers spreading the virus? I doubt it, but maybe one is.

Here's something controversial to think about. Is avoiding the virus really the best course of action. The idea is too flatten the curve so that it remains within a manageable range. But what about spreading it through managed exposure (similar to what the UK is attempting to do). 

Believe me I am taking this thing seriously. Chatted to an ex colleague in the UK last night. The refinery he works at is engaging consultant to develop emergency shut down plans. If they have too many operators out with the disease then they will need to shut it down. 

are pro's riding around taking happy snaps being insensitive? I don't know. I'd like to think that they're still out there doing their jobs to best of their ability and still trying to entertain us.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday evening I went for a spin along the green belt. Through Orphen Drive lower forest there must have been a dog convention. Families out walking their dogs. People running and lots of average Joe's on their way to Tokai Mtb Trails. I thought it was quite something to behold. Its like people are taking the opportunity to get back to enjoying life. Who knows where the crisis will be in a month. Are any of these sun revellers spreading the virus? I doubt it, but maybe one is.

I agree; people getting out in the open is not going to bring about the apocalypse. Let them ride...

Working in Newlands forest, the parking area has been at capacity over the last few days, far worse than during December holidays when everyone is on holiday.

I know of a large group of about 50 international riders (including some lawyers) that are looking to take legal action against the organisers. This is subject to the outcome of their response in terms of redress or defer options.

The basis for the legal action would be along the lines of the misrepresentation act in UK law as the organisers waited to the very last moment to communicate their decision, which left international riders having travelled to cape town, without the possibility to cancel or postpone flights, accommodation, camper rentals...etc

What confuses me...isn't it that Cape Epic is owned by same company as Ironman. Yet Ironman have stated that Cancelled races due to COVID-19 will mean automatic deferrement to 2021 race.

What confuses me...isn't it that Cape Epic is owned by same company as Ironman. Yet Ironman have stated that Cancelled races due to COVID-19 will mean automatic deferrement to 2021 race.

Yes CE is owned by Ironman but suspect there’s a big difference between sunk cost at Epic vs IM so deferment has very different financial consequences

Remgro owns both Mediclinic and OUTsurance, they are both handling this in very different ways too.

Holding companies don’t have much say in the day to day running of subsidiary businesses.

Edited by Patchelicious

I bought travel insurance from AIG the other day....

I am currently struggling with AIG Travel, they are useless. Check the visitors posts on their Facebook page. Lots of people struggling to claim from them.

I am currently struggling with AIG Travel, they are useless. Check the visitors posts on their Facebook page. Lots of people struggling to claim from them.

You are going to struggle a bit, all the insurance companies in travel and seasonal covers are taking massive strain. Legally they have to pay so they will, their support staff are just under massive work loads and they are trying to adapt to working from home at the same time. Imagine having to move call centers of hundreds of people to a work from home environment.

Edited by Patchelicious

I know of a large group of about 50 international riders (including some lawyers) that are looking to take legal action against the organisers. This is subject to the outcome of their response in terms of redress or defer options.

The basis for the legal action would be along the lines of the misrepresentation act in UK law as the organisers waited to the very last moment to communicate their decision, which left international riders having travelled to cape town, without the possibility to cancel or postpone flights, accommodation, camper rentals...etc

I think thus scenario makes it impossible to point fingers and fund someone solely to blame.

The fact the Argus happened the weekend before without a hitch week count in epics favor big time

Force majeure, is in many if no all insurance policies. So is very tricky to know how much, is the epic insured for and against what,is what matters. The expense they go thru is huge, also they have to answer to all the sponsors, insane logistics that go into making the race. 

I'm sure the race will go on, we as a race(human), have gone thru world wars, wars, and untold catastrophes in history we always come back.

Some will be winners and some losers, that's the nature of life. I'm hoping to be there in 2021. 

ADVANCE TO ACQUIRE THE IRONMAN GROUP FROM WANDA SPORTS GROUP

Advance announced today that it has entered into a definitive stock purchase agreement with Wanda Sports Group Company Limited (NASDAQ: WSG) to acquire The IRONMAN Group in an all-cash transaction.

The IRONMAN Group and its portfolio of assets, which includes its flagship IRONMAN® and IRONMAN®70.3® triathlons, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series®, and the Epic Series® of mountain biking races, among other events, makes up the largest mass participation sports platform in the world. From a single race on O’ahu, Hawai`i in 1978, The IRONMAN Group has owned, organized, promoted, and licensed endurance events for over 40 years, which now consists of more than 235 events in over 50 countries, across triathlon, running, trail running, cycling and mountain biking. Each year over one million international athletes participate in an IRONMAN Group race.

https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/industry/advance-acquires-ironman?fbclid=IwAR2CGUKkSLAhVfq-HPGlAQ4LQdujUJEIz0bIgmEDV6uft9hNnvEk1SpTqAc

Edited by shaper

Advance apparently bought it for R730 Million..... Wanda obviously struggling on the Sports front as they paid 900 mill (650 + debt)....

Now the Seppo's are back in charge... It will become even MORE all the gear no idea now! hahahaha 

I know of a large group of about 50 international riders (including some lawyers) that are looking to take legal action against the organisers. This is subject to the outcome of their response in terms of redress or defer options.

The basis for the legal action would be along the lines of the misrepresentation act in UK law as the organisers waited to the very last moment to communicate their decision, which left international riders having travelled to cape town, without the possibility to cancel or postpone flights, accommodation, camper rentals...etc

Any way to get in contact with these group of 50 riders?

Thanks