Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a distinct difference in the Oxygen requirement when riding at 90bpm down the shop and doing hill repeats at 170bpm...

Anything over tempo and you're starting to suck that mask into your mouth so the levels of discomfort will vary.

I can't breathe through my mask when doing maximal efforts up Boyes Drive or Ou Kaapse Weg. Even the Buff is more than a mild inconvenience.

Who said I was just chilling? Lugging an extra few kilos of chain and shopping around on an extended ride isn't always done at 90bpm... Especially when you're on DH tyres... 

Breathing with it was more difficult, yes. But not excessively so. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Who said I was just chilling? Lugging an extra few kilos of chain and shopping around on an extended ride isn't always done at 90bpm... Especially when you're on DH tyres... 

Breathing with it was more difficult, yes. But not excessively so. 

oooooooooooooo so you racing a snake now...... :whistling:

Suck it up cupcake  :P  My lazy butt managed a 10km run yesterday wearing a buff with agv. HR over 170  :blink: Not too shabby. So a couple of hill repeats where ya touch 170/180 but then rest on the roll down are a small price to pay. It sucked initially but you acclimate.

Also this 6-9 thing is a load of hond *** if nobody has said it before.

Ja but you are 9 so your max HR is 210+

Nice run there.

Ja but you are 9 so your max HR is 210+

Nice run there.

Shhhhh...38  :wacko:

Edited by Thermophage

Or a beard. Sorts out the seal between buff and face and still keeps your little pestilence droplets to a minimum.

Just for curiosity sake ....

If you ever go to the old "Caltex refineries", they have various HSE hoops to jump through before being allowed on site ....

Few years back (think it was 2011) they had BIG posters in the security room showing how a beard PREVENTS a mask from sealing effectively (which is probably what some cyclists might want), and that you wont be allowed onto the site with a beard .....

Whattt? Flip you got some good genes there. 

Yeahb, get em at Pick n Pay, well priced and a great fit and even stretchy fabric!

Edited by Thermophage

I love that moody street shot with the blue lights and blue bike. You have a very good eye. That's a great shot.

Indeed

If you ever go to the old "Caltex refineries", they have various HSE hoops to jump through before being allowed on site ....

Few years back (think it was 2011) they had BIG posters in the security room showing how a beard PREVENTS a mask from sealing effectively (which is probably what some cyclists might want), and that you wont be allowed onto the site with a beard .....

Still the case at all refineries in SA.

The aim there is to keep the outside world out, so that makes sense. With this it's stopping droplet spread, so the filter and deflection combo of buff plus face fluff plus distance should still be a huge improvement over nothing.