Hardtail with budget

maqsmaqs

i do like the look of the specialized range and even at the gym im riding pair of specialized shoes on the watt bike

is the spec ruse better than the rockhopper?

The Ruze's I have checked are 650b, and the RH is 29.

Edited by Pieter-za

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that was one of the ones i was looking at in my price bracket

is the ruse worth the 2k difference?

that was one of the ones i was looking at in my price bracket

is the ruse worth the 2k difference?

Are you looking for a 650b or a 29er?

In my opinion, I would go new.

You have the peace of mind of a warranty and it will be set up for you properly (if bought from a reputable bike shop). There are some used bargains out there, but unless you know what you are looking for, there is a risk that you could buy a piece of junk and end up spending more than what a new bike would cost.

Of your list, Momsen and Silverback would be the best. You don't mention which models you are looking at, but generally these bikes have much better specs for your money (meaning more value).

I agree with some of the comments regarding Titan. They are good value for money and probably have the best warranty available at the moment (5 years multi user).

Another value brand is Axis (just to add more confusion to your choice).

Considering your intended use, your price range will give a bike that is more than adequate. But, please, whatever you do stay away from the supermarket bikes. They are cheap, but they fall apart and rust at the drop of a hat.

I am so bleak, I sold all my bicycles as was supposed to move overseas. Now I am stuck running every morning... 

Buying a new bike is out as it's gonna cost more than what I sold mine for. 

Are you looking for a 650b or a 29er?

im guess a 29er im only 1,65 tall so not too tall

In my opinion, I would go new.

You have the peace of mind of a warranty and it will be set up for you properly (if bought from a reputable bike shop). There are some used bargains out there, but unless you know what you are looking for, there is a risk that you could buy a piece of junk and end up spending more than what a new bike would cost.

Of your list, Momsen and Silverback would be the best. You don't mention which models you are looking at, but generally these bikes have much better specs for your money (meaning more value).

I agree with some of the comments regarding Titan. They are good value for money and probably have the best warranty available at the moment (5 years multi user).

Another value brand is Axis (just to add more confusion to your choice).

Considering your intended use, your price range will give a bike that is more than adequate. But, please, whatever you do stay away from the supermarket bikes. They are cheap, but they fall apart and rust at the drop of a hat.

i do like the idea of warranty

my daughter rides a tital calypso which i bought from CWC

im in cape town and close to Olympic, Crown and work close to CWC and the specialized shop

i was told silverback for price have good specs versus others in same price

im gearing towards lower end as i know i also need

helmet

pedals

2 bike carrier

any other ad hoc

on. my comprehensive list, apologies

silverback stride md

giant rincon

spec pitch sport

spec pitch comp

spec pitch expert

silverback stride sport

giant talon 2019

these were all within 6k

anything within another r1000 that would be much better?

Like I said in my post on the first page, the rockhopper has better components than the pitch. The top of the range rockhopper is only R2k more than the pitch. It has better components and is a great bike. 

any advice on listed units ?
hoping to place order soon

• 2 weeks later...

ok so i found a silverback stride se at sportsmans warehouse for 9k and i have vitality cashback of 40%

does this make this a good option if it comes in at 5,400?

air shock and Tubeless wheels at under 6k I would say you have a hard time to beat it. Might I suggest you look on momsen website they have a big sale on the al229 for I think R7900 also good value for money.

Read the vitality cash back on bikes very carefully.... Not worth it at all. It's not instant discount and it's paid back monthly over a long period.

If you insist on a new bike within your budget, look at Bike Addict. They have a Titan Rogue Sport at R8k. Probably the best bang for buck on a new bike.

Read the vitality cash back on bikes very carefully.... Not worth it at all. It's not instant discount and it's paid back monthly over a long period.

If you insist on a new bike within your budget, look at Bike Addict. They have a Titan Rogue Sport at R8k. Probably the best bang for buck on a new bike.

i think you are referring to the bike booster with vitality which is 25% cashback. over many many months and only through cycle lab

i saw on sportsman's warehouse site the vitality logo against many bikes so im assuming you can apply the improved percentage that Discovery have increased to due to lockdown

where i was getting 20% back on purchases its now 40%

am i wrong?

i think you are referring to the bike booster with vitality which is 25% cashback. over many many months and only through cycle lab

i saw on sportsman's warehouse site the vitality logo against many bikes so im assuming you can apply the improved percentage that Discovery have increased to due to lockdown

where i was getting 20% back on purchases its now 40%

am i wrong?

I totally misread Sportsmanswarehouse.

Last time I checked it was capped at R2,000 max spend for a cash back of max R500 per month. This was dependent on your vitality points, health checks and fitness test etc etc. Logged in saw mine is sitting 50% for May, but they do not mention the t's and c's. With Discovery there is always a catch in the fine print, no way are they going to give you so much money back on a bike.

The momsen the previous guy posted is a winner!