Giant Anthem X 29er - Sizing - Medium or Large?

Mtb2009

Hey guys,

I recently purchased myself a medium Giant Anthem 29er. I usually ride a large.

On the Giant sizing chart, it says that it will fit me. I took it around the block and it felt fine. I am 1.80m tall.

post-10268-0-44835100-1590328096_thumb.jpg

This is my current bike's (hardtail - large 19") geometry chart.

post-10268-0-13139800-1590390062_thumb.png

This is the Giant Anthem's geometry for a medium.

post-10268-0-15462800-1590390126_thumb.png

Could I make the medium work for me with some adjustments?

Cheers,

Edited by Mtb2009

Eish. I'm 1.8 and I'd never have considered a medium... Reach & ETT just too short.

But, that's me. If it fits you, and you like it, then ride it.  

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

I'm 1.75 and ride smalls and my 1 bike is a medium.

It wholly depends on what you feel comfortable with.

Ride it, test out a few stem lengths and see. I hate being slung out on my bike.

Our trails also aren't steep, so long bikes aren't as necessary.

It's a rad bike. Enjoy it. I reckon frame size on a public forum will just leave you more confused. Close the thread, ride the bike and come back in 2 months time.

That would be my advice

I'm 1.75 and ride smalls and my 1 bike is a medium.

It wholly depends on what you feel comfortable with.

Ride it, test out a few stem lengths and see. I hate being slung out on my bike.

Our trails also aren't steep, so long bikes aren't as necessary.

It's a rad bike. Enjoy it. I reckon frame size on a public forum will just leave you more confused. Close the thread, ride the bike and come back in 2 months time.

That would be my advice

Good advice...Im1.78 and ride a medium.

I'm 1.82m and have been riding a medium MTB for many years. 

I was on the upper limit of the seat post (the one that comes standard with the bike.

Only upgraded last year to a large (also an Anthem X), and I have more room to play with setup.

Size differs from brand to brand for instance my Scott Spark 2019 was a large but it left small but the large anthem 2018 felt way to big to me. I am 176cm.

Fully agree.

Medium Spark was too small for me. Loved the fit of the Large Scott.

The Medium Anthem is just that little bit smaller than the Large Scott ... simply a perfect fit????

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll test it out for the next 2 months and see how it feels. Really hope I can keep this medium frame as a dual suspension frame is $$$$.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll test it out for the next 2 months and see how it feels. Really hope I can keep this medium frame as a dual suspension frame is $$$$.

Don't force it. The bike should fit your body first, then your budget.

Best bet is to spend a little bit of cash and take it to a bike fitter. Let them do a proper setup, and you'll know for sure if its appropriate for you.

I know i said go for it, but its better to be certain than possibly cause long term injury to save some cents.

Size differs from brand to brand for instance my Scott Spark 2019 was a large but it left small but the large anthem 2018 felt way to big to me. I am 176cm.

Brand dimensions play a huge factor. At 1.76 a large is definitely too big for you. Edited by TCTG

Height alone isn't enough to make the call on this, inseam and ape index are also important. I'm 1.81 and an otter (short legs, long torso) so the reach on an average medium is too short for me.

If you're built more like a flamingo you'll be fine on a medium. Just don't compensate for a too-small frame by fitting an XXL stem, cos handling will suck.

So the X29 has a slacker seat tube and 20mm setback seat post. It's designed to stretch you out over the bike as that setback adds to the overall reach or total effective top tube length.

Also its designed to work with the longer stems to get the desired steering response. I find the Giant sizing chart to be well considered

Only thing left to do is ride the bike and see if you like it. It's stability comes from other attributes in the chassis