Are cyclist just too superior to keep their masks/buffs on

Stefalbertyn

All massively irrelevant ...

The only thing on the table is "Put the mask on"

Every other thing out of your mouths is simply distraction from the entitlement, self interest and selfishness that your failure to obey this instruction shows.

That's all

It's the same as overtaking on a white line - having 6 beers and getting in the car - any number of other behaviours.

This thread has consisted in the main of reasoned and reasonable arguments supporting a simple risk mitigation strategy that we are all required to employ and you lot arguing every which way but tuesday with every argument most accurately reducible to "I'm special and I don't wanna".

My ride today shows me that 80 percent of riders agree with you.

The majority has spoken.

go eat a cookie - it seems your blood sugar is perilously low.  we'll give you a hug once you've gotten over yourself, i promise!

don't underestimate the motivational power of anger in propelling you to higher FTPs.  it's great mind-fuel.  and if today's rants are anything to go by, i reckon our friend did a 2h45 argus!

I wonder if he was the poor sod shouting "single file single file single file you ****whits, single file " on Chappies?

About a million people just smiled and waved while he continued with his really bad day

go eat a cookie - it seems your blood sugar is perilously low.  we'll give you a hug once you've gotten over yourself, i promise!

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a good way to avoid having to wear a mask. And damn right I'm angry - I've listened to weeks and weeks of bleating here and in whatsapp groups about how alcohol can't be bought and how stupid that is and how stupid the people in townships are breaking their social distancing and how stupid the government is ....

all the while these same people evince the most utterly stupid lawless behaviour that puts people around them at risk - and that's not opinion - 

Damn right I'm angry. Furious.

If I had that much anger I reckon I'd rather stay at home...

Edited by Mamil

All massively irrelevant ...

The only thing on the table is "Put the mask on"

Every other thing out of your mouths is simply distraction from the entitlement, self interest and selfishness that your failure to obey this instruction shows.

That's all

It's the same as overtaking on a white line - having 6 beers and getting in the car - any number of other behaviours.

This thread has consisted in the main of reasoned and reasonable arguments supporting a simple risk mitigation strategy that we are all required to employ and you lot arguing every which way but tuesday with every argument most accurately reducible to "I'm special and I don't wanna".

My ride today shows me that 80 percent of riders agree with you.

The majority has spoken.

i think we got your point the first 7 or 8 times you repeated it, ad nauseam.  Just saying something over and over does not really take the debate forward

I know that's the way - but honestly I'm furious. How you tolerate it when you and your colleagues are front and center with thing day in and day out I don't know. Mostly I look the other way and shake my head ...

Believe me I know how you feel, but I have realized that I have to let go. Except the situation for what it is and live my life. The majority citizens is non compliant. Obviously I follow the regulations because I am a SAPS member and morally I have to practice what I preach and I do believe that wearing a mask will help but since I stopped losing my mind about other people I have peace in my heart. I have been affected directly by the virus with colleagues testing positive, 5 colleagues from neighboring stations died already. Believe me people don't care even after being arrested more than once. So yes I am going to say to you with respect....breath and relax and just avoid the morons, you will feel a hell of a lot better.

There's no debate - 

i think we got your point the first 7 or 8 times you repeated it, ad nauseam.  Just saying something over and over does not really take the debate forward

There's no debate - 

other, thinking people, choose to disagree and have actually debated subtle points through meaningful exchanges and interesting arguments on both sides of this.  patch has been way to soft on you, and has ignored your dogmatic, aggressive desk bashing foot stomping tantrums that I find objectionable.  but thats life i guess, a box of chocolates!

You not wearing a mask is objectionable.

Frankly I don't care if you find me objectionable - in fact it's a good thing cos I am objecting.

Same as stopping at the engen on the N1 last time I took a road trip and walking over to the asshole who overtook three cars on a blind rise and telling him that what he did was dangerous and risked everybody's life.

He called me objectionable in less civil terms than that.

MY partner tells me not to bother.

My answer to that is if you were in the car coming the other way when he does that again in 20km time and you knew that a Mamil saw him do it and thought "Meh - none of my business.", would you want him (the Mamil) to say something to him on the off chance that he'd think twice before flooring it and taking the chance.

I know my answer.

Nuanced and subtle points? Really I'm no sure I saw that part - and I saw the outworking of that sophisticated discussion on the roads today.

But a previous poster is right - stupid is as stupid does and my best bet is to put my head back under my own parapet and look after myself and mine and go train on the less popular routes until peak infection passes and leave lot to disperse your erudition and subtle arguments into the ether around those who aren't wearing masks too.

One of the problems with this lockdown has been the emphasis on restriction and injuctions not to behave in particular ways. Better would be more public messaging about what to do.

Oh wait there have been a few of those - what was it again - oh ja... wear a mask.

other, thinking people, choose to disagree and have actually debated subtle points through meaningful exchanges and interesting arguments on both sides of this.  patch has been way to soft on you, and has ignored your dogmatic, aggressive desk bashing foot stomping tantrums that I find objectionable.  but thats life i guess, a box of chocolates!

Edited by Mamil

What they all have in common - and we can add talking on the phone while driving without a handsfree - is the entitled attitude that says "I am the most important person here and the impact I have on anyone else is their problem"

I'm over it - I am barely able to tolerate it in ordinary circumstances but the prevalence of this attitude suggests to me that the covid threat just simply isn't big enough to make the 80 percent of people I saw on a 4 hour ride adjust their attitude and behaviour.

It's deeply offensive to the medical personnel in the hospitals and when you scratch the surface of it you get the **** you response that underpins the behaviour. And it is endemic in our country.

In fact while I'm on the topic - it's endemic in the over privileged white communities - the same clowns who post pictures of people outside some township or other breaking social distancing and tut tutting in thinly disguised racist commentary about the ignorance of the masses drop their masks like a harlot's panties as soon as they are vaguely out of breath on the climb or if there's an overpriced latte to be had.

Tell me to chill and breathe or mind my own business or activate the misguided opinion you have of yourself as some kind of maverick who can distinguish the sense from the nonsense in an academic article about particle dispersion patterns - whatever -

It's a simple instruction - when outside of your home and exercising

Wear a mask

I agree completely with everything you said.

The problem is that people who don't wear masks are going to keep doing what they have been doing despite our best efforts and arguments. So let them be, is all I can say.

I think you're  right.

I agree completely with everything you said.

The problem is that people who don't wear masks are going to keep doing what they have been doing despite our best efforts and arguments. So let them be, is all I can say.

I'm not in CT so I don't really know where this is in relation to where you all ride in the mountains...

Table Mountain National Park management has made the decision to close the Lion's Head section of Table Mountain with immediate effect, until further notice.

Due to the nature of the trail, recreational activities are no longer permitted in these areas due to none compliance by users in accordance to the Alert Level 3 regulations of the Nationwide Lockdown.

This comment is absolutely hilarious thinking people my butt you have the same logic as guys who drink and drive.

I'm not in CT so I don't really know where this is in relation to where you all ride in the mountains...

Table Mountain National Park management has made the decision to close the Lion's Head section of Table Mountain with immediate effect, until further notice.

Due to the nature of the trail, recreational activities are no longer permitted in these areas due to none compliance by users in accordance to the Alert Level 3 regulations of the Nationwide Lockdown.

Seems like we need a slow hand clap for the clever ones who don't think they need to wear masks. Awesome job boys!

This doesn't surprise me - I rode my road bike up signal hill yesterday and despite the mist and chill there were people loitering around the kiosk, coffee in hand, mask around chin like a talisman against demon possession sipping lattes and high fiving.

Hahahahhahahhhahhhahahhaha.

Lekker, laat julle vir julle kry.

Well done on them for doing this.

Sorry Wessie - your post deserved more attention than I gave it.

Which station was it where your colleagues died? 

Believe me I know how you feel, but I have realized that I have to let go. Except the situation for what it is and live my life. The majority citizens is non compliant. Obviously I follow the regulations because I am a SAPS member and morally I have to practice what I preach and I do believe that wearing a mask will help but since I stopped losing my mind about other people I have peace in my heart. I have been affected directly by the virus with colleagues testing positive, 5 colleagues from neighboring stations died already. Believe me people don't care even after being arrested more than once. So yes I am going to say to you with respect....breath and relax and just avoid the morons, you will feel a hell of a lot better.

Hahahahhahahhhahhhahahhaha.

Lekker, laat julle vir julle kry.

Well done on them for doing this.

They won’t take responsibility for it. If they had a predisposition for responsibility, they would wear a mask in the first place.

Don’t expect a different outcome, you will be disappointed.