Securing Bike

maxchodry

When I still lived with my parents, my bike slept in my bedroom, even though there was enough space for it in the garage.

I had a Bandit 400 that slept in the kitchen....

Next time you're near a big boat shop/retailer go have look if you can see them cut marine chain

It's something else

Ok sure, but I think we crossed the line on plausible security solutions. I am guessing the weight of that chain ain’t going to do a bike any good, your legs and arms than you though , the workout I’ll get locking and unlocking your bike. So they sell a marine padlock though to like lock the 2 pieces the together?

When I started cycling my wife and I were living in a flat.  I stored my bike in the flat, much to the disgust of the body corporate.  I was repramanded several times as they stated in the house rules of the complex it is stated I am not allowed to store my bike on communal property.  I had to explaing to the idiots that the inside of my flat is not communal property.  We had several fights about it and they threatened court action which I said they can go for it.  Nothing ever happened and my bike stayed in the flat.  I should mention that often perps broke into our garages.  Now we are living in a flat again and guess what .... my bikes are in the garage standing behind my car only locked with a nice thick bicycle lock but that is just for insurance purposes.  Our stuff is pretty safe here.  But then again we are not living in good old SA anymore  ^_^ .  Hope I did not jinx it now.

I live in an apartment and my bikes are stored in the garage.

I have mounted large rawl bolts with eyelets into the walls and run 8mm steel cable in plastic housing with some large padlocks. While not completely theft proof, unless you arrive with an angle grinder, you won't get those bikes off the wall. 

This will also assist with the insurance claim, should the bikes ever be stolen from the garage. The garage is also alarmed and has video cameras - this is South Africa, you can't be too careful.

When I started cycling my wife and I were living in a flat.  I stored my bike in the flat, much to the disgust of the body corporate.  I was repramanded several times as they stated in the house rules of the complex it is stated I am not allowed to store my bike on communal property.  I had to explaing to the idiots that the inside of my flat is not communal property.  We had several fights about it and they threatened court action which I said they can go for it.  Nothing ever happened and my bike stayed in the flat.  I should mention that often perps broke into our garages.  Now we are living in a flat again and guess what .... my bikes are in the garage standing behind my car only locked with a nice thick bicycle lock but that is just for insurance purposes.  Our stuff is pretty safe here.  But then again we are not living in good old SA anymore  ^_^ .  Hope I did not jinx it now.

last time i read Germany, Italy and France has some of the highest bike theft numbers in europe   :whistling: Somewhere in the region of 300 000 bikes a year per country. if you ask me that reeks of a syndicate.

bicycle theft in SA is a lot more opportunistic in nature.

Anyway, As long as there are thieves who want other peoples crap for whatever reason...crap will get stolen - no matter where you live.

last time i read Germany, Italy and France has some of the highest bike theft numbers in europe   :whistling: Somewhere in the region of 300 000 bikes a year per country. if you ask me that reeks of a syndicate.

bicycle theft in SA is a lot more opportunistic in nature.

Anyway, As long as there are thieves who want other peoples crap for whatever reason...crap will get stolen - no matter where you live.

The figure is high yes which by the way has come down in 2019.  Most of it though is in the big cities.  You also got to take into consideration that people lock their bicycles on the street on a permanent basis.  It was a culcture schock for me to walk in Frankfurt at night and see all the bicycles locked, most not even locked to something but just the wheel and frame together.  I do not live in the city though.  We live in a town with a population of 27000.  In my book it is a town but locals refer to it as a small city.  Here you see e-bikes parked on the street.  We will read every now and then in the paper of a bike being stolen in the area but that is a rare thing to happen actually.  You do not want to leave lights and things on the bike as that might get swiped during the night but that is also not something that will happen often.

Bike thieves in SA are amateurs, at best they will force a badly secured garage door open or steal off a car rack. In the UK they arrive with battery operated angle grinders. Don't always assume the grass is greener

Edit: on the other hand you are less likely to be held up at gun point while out on a ride!

Edited by Andreas_187

Bike thieves in SA are amateurs, at best they will force a badly secured garage door open or steal off a car rack. In the UK they arrive with battery operated angle grinders. Don't always assume the grass is greener

Edit: on the other hand you are less likely to be held up at gun point while out on a ride!

I think the chances are high for being held up at knife point in the UK

Ok sure, but I think we crossed the line on plausible security solutions. I am guessing the weight of that chain ain’t going to do a bike any good, your legs and arms than you though , the workout I’ll get locking and unlocking your bike. So they sell a marine padlock though to like lock the 2 pieces the together?

I haven't seen aomelike that but obviously one can get beefy locks at builders and Co..... These can be around 2 grand if you want one that can't be cut by hand

And then obviously one has to wonder if it's worth it or just unpractical