Flat pedal shoes 2020

Spafsack

Oh wow. I didn't know the men with the three stripes were such assholes.

Adidas SA does everything inhouse, so they would never give 5:10 distribution to a third party.

And they probably won't bother with the trailcross 5:10 as the previous one didn't sell that we'll. It's all about sell through. And sadly they went about it wrong with the test. The cycling apparel also came and went.

It doesn't help that they don't know much about the market, trying to sell flat pedal shoes through places like Due South was doomed to fail..

It may have changed since I left the industry, but I highly doubt it.

Edited by PhilipV

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning gents. I was hoping to be the lucky one and get to test a few types of pedals and shoes but it does not seem it is going to happen. I have bought various flat pedals in my life time but i really need to make the right choice now as money is tight, with all of us.

Okay, so, after 3 days of consecutive testing, 20km rides, 1 hour, i took pics of my pedals, shoes, measured them. 

My Giant pedals have served me well, but i have a feeling the issues i am having with numb feet, edge curl, has to be platform size. Secondly, i need a new pair of shoes with stiff soles.

But lets get back to the pedal size, in my pics, you can see my size uk11 five ten is wider than the pedal. In my mind, this does not make for perfect power delivery, handling, grip. I measure the Giant at 100mm, even though online they state 105mm. 

If i measure my shoe, i need 110mm, edge to edge. 

I think than when shoes are new, mega stif soles, you dont pick up the size difference, but when they get old like mine, the difference between platform and shoe size becomes evident.

I would like to test the Dmr vaults or v12 pedals, strugling to see exactly which one is wider as i would need 110mm or a bit more.  

My requirements are: Must be concave, 110mm wide minimal.

I also noticed on the Giants, they mount flush to my crank. This is actually not ideal in my view. I think the other makes have a small gap, which makes sense, as when i put down the power it feels as if my feet are pressing inwards not straight down.

As soon as i can get a new set of pedals to test i will give further updates. I think my continuing issues i have had with my feet are a combination of pedals and old shoes. 

Hope this info kind of helps others who may have similar problems. 

post-142431-0-75851400-1595744988_thumb.jpg

post-142431-0-91351500-1595744995_thumb.jpg

post-142431-0-20279900-1595745003_thumb.jpg

post-142431-0-52793000-1595745009_thumb.jpg

post-142431-0-96066700-1595745014_thumb.jpg

post-142431-0-79801300-1595745020_thumb.jpg

Try to test the Giant Pinner DH flat pedals.

It is visually thinner and wider than other flat pedals.

Mine is 117mm wide, measured from the crank arm. With my size 44 shoes I use all of this extra width.

Also find the platform starts very close to the crank, but the extra width more than compensates for this

Hi Chris, thanx for the info. Those Pinners look nice, are they also concave like my current Giants.

Just on a side note, i googled the Pinners and this came up, not sure what version you have or are available in SA. https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/newsroom/2020/01/13/giant-flatties-fail/

They are however dam nice looking pedals, and the extra width i am sure will cure allot of my current issues.

I bought the black pedals with gold pins in February.

Do think this was concave, ever so slightly (remember these are very thin pedals)

About 3 weeks ago I got the call to bring in my bike, and the pedals were replaced as part of the recall.

Now have black pedals with black studs. Pedals seems level, with high studs, thus creating some concave for your foot. For a truly concave you may need a thicker pedal though.

Morning gents. I was hoping to be the lucky one and get to test a few types of pedals and shoes but it does not seem it is going to happen. I have bought various flat pedals in my life time but i really need to make the right choice now as money is tight, with all of us.

Okay, so, after 3 days of consecutive testing, 20km rides, 1 hour, i took pics of my pedals, shoes, measured them. 

My Giant pedals have served me well, but i have a feeling the issues i am having with numb feet, edge curl, has to be platform size. Secondly, i need a new pair of shoes with stiff soles.

But lets get back to the pedal size, in my pics, you can see my size uk11 five ten is wider than the pedal. In my mind, this does not make for perfect power delivery, handling, grip. I measure the Giant at 100mm, even though online they state 105mm. 

If i measure my shoe, i need 110mm, edge to edge. 

I think than when shoes are new, mega stif soles, you dont pick up the size difference, but when they get old like mine, the difference between platform and shoe size becomes evident.

I would like to test the Dmr vaults or v12 pedals, strugling to see exactly which one is wider as i would need 110mm or a bit more.  

My requirements are: Must be concave, 110mm wide minimal.

I also noticed on the Giants, they mount flush to my crank. This is actually not ideal in my view. I think the other makes have a small gap, which makes sense, as when i put down the power it feels as if my feet are pressing inwards not straight down.

As soon as i can get a new set of pedals to test i will give further updates. I think my continuing issues i have had with my feet are a combination of pedals and old shoes. 

Hope this info kind of helps others who may have similar problems. 

If I can make a suggestion...

I can see by the marks created by your pedal pins that your default foot position is more toe in.

My suggestion is to ride XC/uphill etc with your feet straight (more or less how they would be if clipped in. Then when descending, switch to a more "duck foot" position with toes pointed outward. 

Especially the latter, I have seen make instant and dramatic improvement to flat pedal rider's confidence and prevention of knee injury.

This is because duck footed you can bend your knees outward into a squat position more easily and therefore ride loose, corner better and with less strain on your ACL. 

Try this for now and see how it affects the "falling off" sensation as well as overall comfort.

The VitalMTB pedal shoot out I sent you a link for the best test I've seen in measuring pedal size and what true concave affects pedal feel.

Hi DT, thanx, i did check that link out, the dmr are rates tops. It is first on my wish list. Regarding my feet angle, you are right. For the last month i have purposefully kept my feet straight, as they would be with clipped in. On downhills i do shift them back, heels lower as well. 

The issue is i cant just lay out almost 5k for new shoes and pedals. I need to know what i buy is perfect and will last. PAre the v12's smaller than the vaults, any more info you can send, platform size comparisons and so on.

First prize is ride concepts and larger dmr pedals. I am sure both together will eliminate all these frustrating issues i have been dealing with. Thanx again for all the help.

• 2 weeks later...

Update 8 august. Borrowed a mates dmr v12 pedals for ****s and giggles. I can see why they are rated so highly. The difference between these and my current giants are:

Dmr sits further away from crank, this means allot, and its probably been my issue from day one.

My foot / shoe is now is in the middle of the peddle.This makes a huge difference. On the giants,

i had to shift my foot against the crank to try get this right but my foot still felt as though it is not centered on the pedal.

The dmr concave is a tad less than the giant but very very comfy. After three rides i am 100% used to it.

The bearings are smooth, the spikes, grub screws are less sharp so you have more movement when adjusting foot position, without loosing grip.

The numb feet.......well........only after 17 on kays did i get a sense of numbness, on the giants it started at 10 kays already. I can only assume that having my feet centered and less spiky pins are making that possible.

I am so happy with these loaners i decided to pull the trigger, order online, wiggle uk, got myself a pair of magnesium dmr v12's on the way to me. Added in a brand new pair of five tens in uk 11, last pair i could fine, and to be honest, they served me well for 4 years.

It is unfortunate i could not test drive a pair of ride concepts, but stocks flew like no tomorrow, and i wanted a specific pair. The price inc landed costs for my five tens & mag v12 pedals is 2.4k. I dont think this is bad for what i am getting.

Will gooi pics and update when they arrive in 10 days time.

post-142431-0-94693100-1596527700_thumb.jpg

post-142431-0-31481700-1596527710_thumb.jpg

post-142431-0-24835900-1596527728_thumb.jpg

Swapped over from Saint pedals to the Crank Brothers Stamp 2. Significant difference in size and my numb toes issue improved by 90%. Now all I need to do is slightly reposition my foot and the numbness goes away. It is also no longer across all the toes. Only the last 3 leading to the pinky toe.

Sheesh R2400 for pedals and shoes, that is a DAMN good price.....

Must have been a big sale price especially if by that price includes shipping and duties.

It was a big sale, day after i went onto wiggle and shoes were 40% more. I paid R2 700 looking at the conversion rate. Its now in customs, so i am in for 30% duties on the shoes, so i recon i will be all in, landed cost, to my door, in for 3k. Its still a good deal as you just dont find five tens anymore. Should arrive this week Thursday, so says tracking details....

Great thread so far guys - thanks for all the detailed input.

As mentioned before I have 5Ten Freeriders (EU 47) paired with DMR V12s

The shoes are about 2yrs old and have seen some regular riding...if I think about it the foot numbness on longer descents were less at the beginning...possibly as the shoes started flexing more it increased (might be in my mind)
When I just started cycling 3 odd yrs ago I had V8s and regular Nike hi-top sneakers and the numbness was obv much more intense due to the extremely flexible soles.

I have requested a demo of the RCs and will test with the V12s and also try the suggested duckfoot move.
After my rides this weekend I was seriously considering going clipless as the foot numbness really impacts my rides...at least the fun parts (going down)
Would love to remain a flat pedaller.

Will keep you posted.

Oja I got those footinserts from Clicks and used them yesterday and they do make some difference I'd say

The shoes are about 2yrs old and have seen some regular riding...if I think about it the foot numbness on longer descents were less at the beginning...possibly as the shoes started flexing more it increased (might be in my mind)

When I just started cycling 3 odd yrs ago I had V8s and regular Nike hi-top sneakers and the numbness was obv much more intense due to the extremely flexible soles.

I have requested a demo of the RCs and will test with the V12s and also try the suggested duckfoot move.

After my rides this weekend I was seriously considering going clipless as the foot numbness really impacts my rides...at least the fun parts (going down)

Will keep you posted.

Oja I got those footinserts from Clicks and used them yesterday and they do make some difference I'd say

Lastly...this would've also been my next step: FIVE TEN IMPACT SAM HILL

They are just a bit heavy over 500g 

Will keep you posted.

"Thanks for your request but I am sorry we are all out of demo shoes and stock at the moment. 

We have a shipment arriving in 2 months. There has been high demand and a global stock shortage."

Will wait a bit and maybe just try placing my feet better in the meantime