Parkhurst Living

thebob

Hi All

First a disclaimer, I am not looking to start a thread about how *** life is in SA or why we should all emigrate. I'm looking to get some information on a suburb I'm looking at moving to. If you have nothing constructive to say, please move on.

So, for those of you who live in Parkhurst, how are things going there? I'm possibly looking at buying a house there and like what I have seen so far. The place is vibey with loads of people out and about, but having never lived there and not knowing anyone who does I do not know anything about the reality of living there. Obvioulsy I have to ask about crime in terms of theft, home invasions etc. But other things, like how does the council run, are there any community groups to join, how is the load shedding (when applicable) etc. If you'd rather not voice your experience on a public forum, please drop me a PM. I'd really like to know what those of you who live there have to say.

It is home to the greatest local pub ever... the Jolly Roger. Grew up in the area, and my sister still lives there, it's really nice and vibey... my only suggestion would be to not buy within a block of the main street and shopping areas, it's a bit chaotic at times and you're going to have strangers parked outside your house much of the time. Very lekker to walk to a coffee shop etc though or finish a ride off at Hudsons, Espresso etc

I stayed at a BNB there about 4 years back, great places to eat in the area and a nice vibe.

I was there for 1 night, when I got back to the car after being in the restaurant someone had damaged the passenger side lock and been in the car, it was a rental so there was nothing to steal.

The BNB parking was full when I got back so had to park outside.

The next morning one of the rear windows was gone from the car. Someone had taken a really big quartz rock from a nearby driveway and thrown it through the window. A colleague was stupid enough to leave his laptop in the boot and they opened the back seats and took that.

So yeah, lovely area in many respects but the crime seemed pretty bad.

I live up the road from Parkhurst, and we've looked at a few places there end of last year, including putting in an offer on one, but it went before we could sell our current spot and just as well because with me losing my job it would have been a pretty tough time.

All the plots are 500sqm so they're small. You won't have a garden as much as you'll have a sliver of grass. And the rooms etc are usually equally small too. But if its easy lock up and go kind of stuff you're looking for then its a winner. 

Most of them are refurbed often enough and ready to move in which is nice, but they're quite pricey for what you get space wise.

The spruit is right there which is awesome. The restaurants are great but get a bit too busy sometimes so I'd steer clear of living in the immediate vicinity personally. The other shops (which were originally borderline to be honest) have been decimated with lockdown. 6th street is now just a property showcase.

Its quite a community vibe, there are always people out walking, running, riding, and most streets are quiet enough you can easily do so.

Crime is crime, I mean its a wealthy area, with a fair bit of flaunting on the weekends, but compared to the rest of Joburg I think its relatively safe in terms of violence, its usually people being 'spotted' with watches and jewellery that get jumped. Loadshedding we obviously get, but the new fancy load-reduction - no. 

All the plots are 500sqm so they're small. You won't have a garden as much as you'll have a sliver of grass. And the rooms etc are usually equally small too. But if its easy lock up and go kind of stuff you're looking for then its a winner. 

Haha, it's all relative. Our plot is 500sqm and it's one of the largest in our suburb, the average being 220-250sqm.

Having a quick glance at Parkhurst property prices just reminded me again of how much of a premium us Capetonians are used to paying - it seems super cheap up there!

Haha, it's all relative. Our plot is 500sqm and it's one of the largest in our suburb, the average being 220-250sqm.

Having a quick glance at Parkhurst property prices just reminded me again of how much of a premium us Capetonians are used to paying - it seems super cheap up there!

HTF do you live on 250sqm property ? I'd go absolutely out of my mind.

The thing is if you look next door to Craighall Park or Parktown North you can buy an old run-down house, but on a monster of a plot.

Also for the price of a nice Parkhurst house you could be living in a (super-kitsch Tuscan) palace in Fourways. But then you might as well off yourself right now....

I stayed at a BNB there about 4 years back, great places to eat in the area and a nice vibe.

I was there for 1 night, when I got back to the car after being in the restaurant someone had damaged the passenger side lock and been in the car, it was a rental so there was nothing to steal.

The BNB parking was full when I got back so had to park outside.

The next morning one of the rear windows was gone from the car. Someone had taken a really big quartz rock from a nearby driveway and thrown it through the window. A colleague was stupid enough to leave his laptop in the boot and they opened the back seats and took that.

So yeah, lovely area in many respects but the crime seemed pretty bad.

Welcome to Joburg... you don't park a car outside at night anywhere without a car guard watching it.

There is quite a bit of petty crime around there though, but that's sadly the norm for busy wealthy areas.

It is a lovely area. Lots to do, lots of cycling groups too.

I selected it as my preferred suburb to live in before I started commuting to the UK.

The only thing that bothered me a bit was the potential crime.

Eddy live up the road, he has good insights into the area too.

The thing is if you look next door to Craighall Park or Parktown North you can buy an old run-down house, but on a monster of a plot.

Also for the price of a nice Parkhurst house you could be living in a (super-kitsch Tuscan) palace in Fourways. But then you might as well off yourself right now....

Same with Blairgowrie and Linden nearby, even some of the Linden spots. 

Towards the river/spruit though are some gems in Parkhurst. 

Vibey area and Fourth is always a blast, will miss Pepi's tattoo spot though.

It is a lovely area. Lots to do, lots of cycling groups too.

I selected it as my preferred suburb to live in before I started commuting to the UK.

The only thing that bothered me a bit was the potential crime.

Eddy live up the road, he has good insights into the area too.

I stayed in Rosebank in the 80s and played for Parkview Squash Club so knew the area fairly well.Even in those days the Parkhurst streets were dicey for crime

HTF do you live on 250sqm property ? I'd go absolutely out of my mind.

You have coffee shops and restaurants a couple of hundred meters from you, 3 bike shops within a 2km radius, you're 8min from Newlands Forest, etc etc.

I also have a place on a 95sqm plot, the building itself is however double storey and 105sqm. Lived there for 7 years and loved it!

You have coffee shops and restaurants a couple of hundred meters from you, 3 bike shops within a 2km radius, you're 8min from Newlands Forest, etc etc.

I also have a place on a 95sqm plot, the building itself is however double storey and 105sqm. Lived there for 7 years and loved it!

Different strokes I guess, not my cup of tea.

Thanks is for the information so far everyone. Keep the thoughts and experiences coming. Looking at three places there on Saturday morning. Our other option at the moment is Lakeside in Modderfontein. For around the same price you get a semi-detached place which is tiny compared to what we are seeing in Parkhurst, but you have the secure estate that you are part of. So it is a toss up between the two: very nice redone house in an area you have to be awake in or a not so lekker place in a super secure area

Edited by the_bob

Thanks is for the information so far everyone. Keep the thoughts and experiences coming. Looking at three places there on Saturday morning. Our other option at the moment is Lakeside in Modderfontein. For around the same price you get a semi-detached place which is tiny compared to what we are seeing in Parkhurst, but you have the secure estate that you are part of. So it is a toss up between the two: very nice redone house in an area you have to be awake in or a not so lekker place in a super secure area

Lol...when I moved back to SA in 2012 I was looking for something within 15km to Spartan and the Airport and looked at Greenstone.How do you get the furniture upstairs?

Those mass produced boxes alongside Modders look tiny.In that case go for Parkhurst