Bike Addict

DR ◣◢

How was your experience?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Did Bike Addict provide you with good service?

• Yes
    • No
    • What service?

2 minutes ago, herrowpreeze said:

they charged you and extra 3% for credit card? 

No mate, get wrecked! thats whack 

Yeah was a bit peeved at that (do all for the miles)

Just went the EFT route, but yeah agree with you

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They have a website but I doubt they consider themselves to have an online operation.

It's merely used as a means of reaching an extended potential customer base ... even if it's not done very well.

I don't think it has much influence over their core business. (but even that has been questioned on a few occasions 🙊)

It's simple. They're a small-town LBS with a website which looks like an online store, they most definitely don't actually run an online store.

I once tried to order something from them and was under the free shipping limit by R100. So I literally spent an hour on the phone with the salesperson running through what I could get for R100 that was actually in stock to save on shipping. I eventually gave up because there really was little I needed.

The least they could do is post their stock levels on their site. I don't bother looking at their site anymore because it's impossible to determine if I am going to get the runaround. I'd rather use evobikes or summitbikes or trailtech etc.

Also, isn't charging an additional 3% over the listed price for credit card not allowed by credit card companies? I seem to remember that being a condition of getting merchant status.

12 minutes ago, michaelbiker said:

Also, isn't charging an additional 3% over the listed price for credit card not allowed by credit card companies? I seem to remember that being a condition of getting merchant status.

Funny enough, I read about this yesterday, well, for POS machines anyway, and it is not allowed, and should be reported to the bank that supplied the POS machine, having said that, I dont know if that would apply to online credit card purchases 

1 minute ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Funny enough, I read about this yesterday, well, for POS machines anyway, and it is not allowed, and should be reported to the bank that supplied the POS machine, having said that, I dont know if that would apply to online credit card purchases 

Theoretically they are not an online store since you can't purchase anything through their site.

1 minute ago, michaelbiker said:

Theoretically they are not an online store since you can't purchase anything through their site.

But you are also not using a POS device for the payments 🤷‍♂️ either way, I think it is in bad taste to charge extra for credit card purchases.

Having said this, I have never had bad service from them, bought from them a few times, always had quick responses to the "quote" system, had a couple "no stock" replies, but they have always been within an hour or two of clicking the button, but they are also definitely not my go to shop....

I've had pleasant telephonic and email interactions with the staff. Haven't actually bought anything as of yet as they didn't have stock of any of the items I've enquired about... And they all were "in stock" online. 

I work in card payments, so can comment,  it is against scheme rules and PASA regulations to incentivise or offer better payment terms as compared to card payment (online or physical terminal) they are in contravention of their card acceptance merchant agreement and can be reported to their acquiring bank. It’s pretty rife in SA, but if you wanted to be difficult…

As an aside, about 4 years ago when I started cycling again, I was down from JHB and decided to take a drive and check their store out, with the intention of buying a bike. Was super unimpressed with the reception I received and after wondering about for a while being keen on a pretty well specced bike, I walked out of there to never wanting to deal with them ever again. Think I gave them one more shot online and tried the quote system bull**** and am now off them for life.

Edited by Murrob

9 hours ago, Grease_Monkey said:

Barring CycleLab/CWC they are SA’s biggest online store by revenue. Also not a fan of the way they do business, but they are not running a small time operation.

Erm, I am not so sure about that. Source?

12 hours ago, Murrob said:

I work in card payments, so can comment,  it is against scheme rules and PASA regulations to incentivise or offer better payment terms as compared to card payment (online or physical terminal) they are in contravention of their card acceptance merchant agreement and can be reported to their acquiring bank. It’s pretty rife in SA, but if you wanted to be difficult…

As an aside, about 4 years ago when I started cycling again, I was down from JHB and decided to take a drive and check their store out, with the intention of buying a bike. Was super unimpressed with the reception I received and after wondering about for a while being keen on a pretty well specced bike, I walked out of there to never wanting to deal with them ever again. Think I gave them one more shot online and tried the quote system bull**** and am now off them for life.

Just for full transparency this is the feedback I received:
"I can send you a card facility payment link from PayFast, but please note that facility charges and additional 3.5% and takes longer for the fees to clear."

I have popped into the store while through Malmesbury once and had a very similar welcome into the store.

Have to say i purchased a new Merida from them in Jan and got great service from Warren via email which is my preferred method of communication anyway as then you have it in writing. 

24 minutes ago, Michael S said:

Just for full transparency this is the feedback I received:
"I can send you a card facility payment link from PayFast, but please note that facility charges and additional 3.5% and takes longer for the fees to clear."

I have popped into the store while through Malmesbury once and had a very similar welcome into the store.

Card takes longer than EFT to clear? huh?

So PaySlow basically....

9 minutes ago, NeverNotRolling said:

Card takes longer than EFT to clear? huh?

So PaySlow basically....

If you use an payment supplier like Sumup you wait 6/7 days for your money.