[Event] Western Cape XCO #3 - Paul Cluver

Jbr

Anyone here entered ? It's going to be my first XCO race.

I've only ridden Paul Cluver once in a Marathon race (I think the Tiletoria Elgin Valley) last year and don't remember much about XCO style trails there...

I don't know much about these races formats and even less about the course so I'm not too sure what to expect and unfortunately I won't be able to go this weekend for a recon. I went once to watch the racing at Bloemies and I have to say if it's the same about of technical features it's going to be fun going in there blind :D

So far the only info I have is this : so a 3,68km loop, no idea what's the gradient, elevation gain, how many loop we're going to do, etc...

XCO3.jpg

If anyone knows this course or knows a bit more about the race format I'm interested ;)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wpcycling.com for more on the race format and entries.

Depending on your race category it's either 3 (masters), 4 (vets) or 5(Sub vets) laps of the course.

master - 50-59 yrs

veteran - 40-49

sub vet 30-39

your age is taken at decemer 31st 2020. so your age on that date determines your category.

Roll call 15min before the start.

talk a bit of K&K with the manne

chirp the commissaires and starter

Gun goes off at 11h30 for the Above race (masters, Vets and Sub Vets race together - I assume you not a lady or identify as one)

all hell breaks lose. you suck in some dust, usually blow somewhere around the 2nd lap and hen hang on to the end.

The course looks like its laid out in and around the Paul Cluver Amphitheatre so similar in some ways to the approach to water point 2 on day 2 of wines to whales

See you there!

Looks like quite a simple loop, so Don, Waldo and Milky will be hot lapping. Being lapped the 4th time round is a real thing!!!

Thanks, so 11:30 for 5 laps / 18,4km sho it's going to be tough  :D  can't wait

So we don't get to see the course on the day, before the racing ? Guess we've got 4 recon laps before the final lap  :lol:

Edited by Jbr

Thanks, so 11:30 for 5 laps / 18,4km sho it's going to be tough  :D  can't wait

So we don't get to see the course on the day, before the racing ? Guess we've got 4 recon laps before the final lap  :lol:

I'm sure you can walk next to the track pretty much the whole way. I don't think there are any nasties 

I'm sure you can walk next to the track pretty much the whole way. I don't think there are any nasties 

yes that's right, we could walk everywhere for the Bloemies event so shouldn't be a problem !

course is usually open on the Friday for familiarization. Not sure what will happen under the COVID protocol as access has to be limited. Also if there's enough light the course is open for practice an hour before the first race starts at 8h30., usually 07h00 to 08h00.

Best to check in on the website as they up date it daily before the event. Entries close on Monday night so get the entries in

Doesn't look there will be any highly technical aspects. It looks like it will take in a section of the Epic 2019 TT through the Amphitheatre then heads up the hill (Steep) . climbs look open and wide, singletrack tight and twisty but nothing nasty 

Doesn't look there will be any highly technical aspects. It looks like it will take in a section of the Epic 2019 TT through the Amphitheatre then heads up the hill (Steep) . climbs look open and wide, singletrack tight and twisty but nothing nasty 

Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw it. Like it shoots you down below the amphitheatre, over the barrel bridge then back up to that marshy flat below the car park field before that horrible steep climb again.

It should be fun. 

See you guys there.

The only other time I rode XCO at Paul Cluver, highly doubt it will be the same layout. But nothing technical to be expected. @Jewbacca the roles will be reversed I’ll be getting lapped this time by Ashley Oldfield and Perry’s Malherbe and the other names you already mentioned in Waldo and The Don

https://www.strava.com/activities/140786607?utm_content=1099966&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=twitter #strava

If my fans can't come and cheer me on, what is the point?! pffft...

Also, does that mean we HAVE to drive out to Belville on Thursday and can't get our race boards on Saturday?

If so, I'm out or I may have to ask one of you guys to get my race board for me.

That's the stupidest thing ever... let's see closer to the time, we might have to arrange for someone to collect a few boards... I can't believe they won't allow board collection on the day...

If my fans can't come and cheer me on, what is the point?! pffft...

Also, does that mean we HAVE to drive out to Belville on Thursday and can't get our race boards on Saturday?

If so, I'm out or I may have to ask one of you guys to get my race board for me.

down the road from quite a few us, happy to collect your board for you if it means I get see you suffer along side me ????????????