Pure Savage

Few people with optimistic times on there ... probably don't know there no more time stop at feeding zones and only 45min neutral ..   

so by default time is ~45min -1hr longer than last few years and  recovery is almost nothing as its eat and ride, no sitting around anymore.

Add the fact no more sucking faster teams passing (or at all).. its gonna be shocker long day for some..

A goal is a goal haha then reality hits you ;)

If I can do a solo 100km under 3 hours I hope I can do 200km with 9 other guys working almost equaly under 6 hours.

I'd be a bit disappointed to do more than 6 hours, even if there is a bit of elevation as well. I don't know about the wind factor in this race either... Anyways, I think I'm gonna have to wait for next year to find out ;)

Edited by Jbr

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Few people with optimistic times on there ... probably don't know there no more time stop at feeding zones and only 45min neutral ..   

so by default time is ~45min -1hr longer than last few years and  recovery is almost nothing as its eat and ride, no sitting around anymore.

Add the fact no more sucking faster teams passing (or at all).. its gonna be shocker long day for some..

Dont forget the effect this may have on some teams .... I remember the zone at Ashton last year.

Some riders barely caught up at the feeding zone, when the leaders "timed out" and was going again .... some almost unsportsmanship shouting at late riders to "just grab and ride!!" .....

Take away those "catch-up times" and some teams may split badly ....

If you really want to make this thing interesting .... let the 9th rider's time count for the team ....  thus you can only loose one rider, and have to actually drag the team to the end ....

A goal is a goal haha then reality hits you ;)

If I can do a solo 100km under 3 hours I hope I can do 200km with 9 other guys working almost equaly under 6 hours.

I'd be a bit disappointed to do more than 6 hours, even if there is a bit of elevation as well. I don't know about the wind factor in this race either... Anyways, I think I'm gonna have to wait for next year to find out ;)

I did 5:50 racetec time last year .. Elapsed time was 7:07, moving time 6:35 according to strava.  So I was resting for at least 35 minutes. Neutral times ~45 minutes 

I can probably dig into times more for each feedings neutral,  .. but it should  give you idea.

Dont forget the effect this may have on some teams .... I remember the zone at Ashton last year.

Some riders barely caught up at the feeding zone, when the leaders "timed out" and was going again .... some almost unsportsmanship shouting at late riders to "just grab and ride!!" .....

If you really want to make this thing interesting .... let the 9th rider's time count for the team ....  thus you can only loose one rider, and have to actually drag the team to the end ....

lots of teams rested 6 riders till ashton and used the long break there to catchup, then those 6 riders did next stint and others rested till next feed.  

Wonder what effect the fact that support vehicle allowed to "support" the team from ashton (but not feed them) will have....

That just makes everyone slower, way more interesting 5 riders time counting, being that dreaded 6th/7th person is real drama. Easy to push and shove and drag 10 to the line.

lots of teams rested 6 riders till ashton and used the long break there to catchup, then those 6 riders did next stint and others rested till next feed.  

Wonder what effect the fact that support vehicle allowed to "support" the team from ashton (but not feed them) will have....

There is more chance of the sock length being enforced than the non feeding from cars!

That just makes everyone slower, way more interesting 5 riders time counting, being that dreaded 6th/7th person is real drama. Easy to push and shove and drag 10 to the line.

And you cant leave a PureSavage lady alone next to the road .... hoping somebody else will stop to help her with a puncture ....  :eek:  :whistling:   That one was fun .... by the time I stopped they had already pinched the spare ..... thankfully a passing rider gave a spare tube, so we could her going again.

Would add a real "twist" to the game if you need to get more people to the end, to count for the time .... 

But as you say, it would be the same for everybody ....

And you cant leave a PureSavage lady alone next to the road .... hoping somebody else will stop to help her with a puncture ....  :eek:  :whistling:   That one was fun .... by the time I stopped they had already pinched the spare ..... thankfully a passing rider gave a spare tube, so we could her going again.

Would add a real "twist" to the game if you need to get more people to the end, to count for the time .... 

But as you say, it would be the same for everybody ....

Everyone is aware of the Pure Savage Puncture Protocol. 

Support vehicles were allowed some years ago as a trial.

With neutralized stop and feed zones, feeding is less of a requirement/issue in the second half imo.

What is very handy are spares on demand in case of a breakdown.

Been there on the old route in Ceres I was told before the ride that I could bail before the last long climb as I was the biggest guy on the team. You ride yourself into the ground on the rolling stretch and then you just cruise home. 10k before the climb having been going at it full throttle for a long while I was told sorry dude only 7 left you are now going to Ceres as number 6. Moolman Welgemoed had the same joke pulled on him. 

Had my revenge coming into Ceres 7 minutes flat over the last 5k's ;)

Been there on the old route in Ceres I was told before the ride that I could bail before the last long climb as I was the biggest guy on the team. You ride yourself into the ground on the rolling stretch and then you just cruise home. 10k before the climb having been going at it full throttle for a long while I was told sorry dude only 7 left you are now going to Ceres as number 6. Moolman Welgemoed had the same joke pulled on him. 

Had my revenge coming into Ceres 7 minutes flat over the last 5k's ;)

That is the key!! When there are 8 or so and everyone starts looking around seeing who is hurting the most!!