iPhone 12 release

Cois

Hypothetical scenario:

You have a phone that you are about to upgrade and you drop it resulting in a cracked screen.

The old phone was an iPhone X, still fairly valuable in the second hand market.

Now you either get the screen repaired by Apple for around R5k(last official price I heard from Core) which then means you will make next to nothing on the sale, or you get it repaired elsewhere for a lot less.

You wouldnt be able to do that with an iPhone 12 because Apple says you cant.

This was the exact scenario a friend of mine experienced recently.

prices increased a bit...

6ba178939821cb640e122bf9718a01b8.jpg

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hypothetical scenario:

You have a phone that you are about to upgrade and you drop it resulting in a cracked screen.

Now you either get the screen repaired by Apple for around R5k(last official price I heard from Core) which then means you will make next to nothing on the sale, or you get it repaired elsewhere for a lot less.

would you want to be the person buying a used phone with a screen repaired at an unknown repair centre ?

You get replacement screens and then you get replacements screens, I have had a phone where I've replaced the screen with an "aftermarket" screen, the results werent so great.

[emoji23]- first time somebody ever asked for a dick pic from me.

Sorry about the open ended statement. I work for Apple and have experience of dealing with many service partners and can assure you that that’s not indicative of the relationship with most of them.

You still haven't really refuted anything, all that You've said, is that you have a vested interested in disclaiming any negative press apple receives.

Checking in to say, I am very happy with my SE (2020) kicks ass, and does what it says on the box

Present tense not past tense :P

Already did..."Made in China"

But on that, one must not think that made in China is what it once was. Tim Cook put it so nicely in interview a while ago about talent pools. I'll go look for the video.

https://youtu.be/3n4giig3-FY?t=17

Edited by Patchelicious

You still haven't really refuted anything, all that You've said, is that you have a vested interested in disclaiming any negative press apple receives.

I doubt anything he will present would change your mind.

would you want to be the person buying a used phone with a screen repaired at an unknown repair centre ?

You get replacement screens and then you get replacements screens, I have had a phone where I've replaced the screen with an "aftermarket" screen, the results werent so great.

I would at least like to have the option to do so? If I can pay a fraction of the price to get a spare phone working again. Even though the display might be inferior, it should be my choice on what I do with MY phone

I doubt anything he will present would change your mind.

10% of chance of changing a mind is better than 100% chance of nothing changing a mind hey?

I got my iPhone 6 screen replaced at WeFix (think that’s the name) at the Mall of Africa - haven’t been there since lockdown started. They gave me a 1 yr warranty on the repairs and my daughter now enjoys using the phone.

I got my iPhone 6 screen replaced at WeFix (think that’s the name) at the Mall of Africa - haven’t been there since lockdown started. They gave me a 1 yr warranty on the repairs and my daughter now enjoys using the phone.

Thats why I said there are screen replacements and then you get screen replacements.

But, as a used phone buyer, how would you know a good quality screen was put in or a bad one ?

Same as when you buy a used car, did the previous owner skimp and put some knock off parts on or did they put good quality parts on.

Listen, I'm a cheap skate, I'm probably the guy Apple wants to prevent from fixing his phone with inferior parts. But I can see both sides of the coin here.

Nope, I’ve said that my experience in actually dealing with these companies, rather than watching a video or two on YouTube, is very different. If you choose to imply that I am lying, then that is up to you. I am unable to be more specific or to give examples, but can assure you that I have yet to meet someone external who would agree with that video that you shared.

prices increased a bit...

6ba178939821cb640e122bf9718a01b8.jpg

Last time I had a screen replaced at an authorised service centre in SA, the cost was R150 excess on the insurance.

My last screen replacement here on a XR cost me £25 as I paid for Insurance when I bought the phone.

Similar to buying a premium bicycle and insuring against accidental damage, in order to ensure that you don’t have to replace premium components with cheap components (came from the same factory boss, I promise you) that work on the face of it, but compromise the overall quality of the bike, why wouldn’t you insure a premium phone for the same reason?

Nope, I’ve said that my experience in actually dealing with these companies, rather than watching a video or two on YouTube, is very different. If you choose to imply that I am lying, then that is up to you. I am unable to be more specific or to give examples, but can assure you that I have yet to meet someone external who would agree with that video that you shared.

Never said you are lying. I said you have a bias, and asked you for more than "Trust Me, I work for Apple."  Response. 

As somebody that has had bad experience with apple and their products ( so yes I am Biased against apple for personal reasons) Why should I trust you?

You could of refuted the points raised in said videos.. like Tim cook collecting data on customers, or time to get replacement batteries, or if you have a legit part to fix a iPhone but its not part of the parts offered that they will fine you, or like even if you leave the program they can still audit you five years later.

but Trust me I work for Apple was your default, 

Hypothetical scenario:

My wife had a screen issue on a phone a while back.

Took it to an authorised (by insurance) repair centre. Waited weeks for a part and when we got it back there was a noticeable difference in the height of the screen and it no longer sits flush; we were told this is normal. About 2 weeks later the screen stopped working. It was replaced again, it stopped working again.

We just got a new phone and the frustration was gone.

Seriously, I don’t need crappy repairs, or to have to buy a new one, but if it saves me the frustration of being without a working phone etc then I’ll just get a new one.

But on that, one must not think that made in China is what it once was.

It’s been said for some time now that there are many levels of quality to the products coming out of China, some are exceptional and some are cheap and nasty.

Sadly most people have only been exposed to the cheap and nasty so they assume all made in China products are that.

It’s been said for some time now that there are many levels of quality to the products coming out of China, some are exceptional and some are cheap and nasty.

Sadly most people have only been exposed to the cheap and nasty so they assume all made in China products are that.

That’s because their cheap MAGA caps were made there.