iPhone 12 release

Cois

BigMac2020_JUL_en.png

The implied value of 999 USD in South Africa according to the Big Mac Index is 5676.14 ZAR. At this exchange rate purchasing power parity exists, and 999 USD buys 189.20 Big Macs in both countries.

The real value of 999 USD at market exchange rates is 12245.89 ZAR. There's no purchasing power parity as 999 USD buys 189.20 Big Macs in United States but 408.20 Big Macs in South Africa. In other words that means that if something costs 999 USD in United States, in order for it to have the same perceived value pricing in South Africa, it has to be priced at 5676.14 ZAR.

If we calculate backwards the implied value of 5676.14 ZAR is 999 USD and the real market value of 5676.14 ZAR is 463.05 USD. In other words that means that in terms of actual purchasing power, having 999 USD in South Africa would be the same as having 2155.28 USD in United States.

Hmmmm... The BMI (lol) is a bit misleading IMO. It's useful, sure, but that in and of itself doesn't paint the whole picture.

Apple has a centralised manufacturing and distro service, and essentially pays a single price for each iphone. 

Maccas has to contend with localised produce pricing, which in the USA is massively over-inflated compared to other areas, hence an inflated USA price when compared to here and other areas. 

IMO the BMI, given the multiple underlying factors influencing each country's pricing, doesn't transfer to the tech space, or any other sector that has a centralised manufacturing model. 

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guessing it didn’t make you happy [emoji2]

The toy made up for it. I do remember go pro prices being much cheaper there and then though. Amongst other things.

The cost of things around the world is a tricky subject. And we're all pointing fingers. But the irony that 1st world products are likely to cost so much more in 3rd world countries is just such a terrible thing to make peace with. Kurzgesagt recently pointed out that while poorer countries progress and uplift those living beneath the poverty line at an ever increasing rate. Affluent countries are simultaneously improving their existing standard of living with greater efficiency. A phenomena which seems like its likely to see this global price disparity become worse with time. If I compare prices on tech stuff from only a few short years ago. Even when you account for inflation. It really seems like its getting worse.

Hmmmm... The BMI (lol) is a bit misleading IMO. It's useful, sure, but that in and of itself doesn't paint the whole picture.

Apple has a centralised manufacturing and distro service, and essentially pays a single price for each iphone. 

Maccas has to contend with localised produce pricing, which in the USA is massively over-inflated compared to other areas, hence an inflated USA price when compared to here and other areas. 

IMO the BMI, given the multiple underlying factors influencing each country's pricing, doesn't transfer to the tech space, or any other sector that has a centralised manufacturing model. 

It doesn't, nothing on its own paints a wholistic picture. I posted it because its a different perspective, and fun. It also showcases nicely how FX shouldn't be used as a direct comparison for value. 

It doesn't, nothing on its own paints a wholistic picture. I posted it because its a different perspective, and fun. It also showcases nicely how FX shouldn't be used as a direct comparison for value. 

Ja, agreed completely there. Fortunately and unfortunately. 

Fortunately in almost every other space than tech and cars, IMO. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

The toy made up for it. I do remember go pro prices being much cheaper there and then though. Amongst other things.

The cost of things around the world is a tricky subject. And we're all pointing fingers. But the irony that 1st world products are likely to cost so much more in 3rd world countries is just such a terrible thing to make peace with. Kurzgesagt recently pointed out that while poorer countries progress and uplift those living beneath the poverty line at an ever increasing rate. Affluent countries are simultaneously improving their existing standard of living with greater efficiency. A phenomena which seems like its likely to see this global price disparity become worse with time. If I compare prices on tech stuff from only a few short years ago. Even when you account for inflation. It really seems like its getting worse.

So true.

Locally in SA?

Yes, this was for incoming stock of the new cards.

I see since then though that its become an international issue with people trying to scalp the cards for much higher amounts due to limited stock availability.

Waiting to hear if Momentum will give me life cover.

It the do I will look at a 12 Mini. So I guess that I will have to wait till 2021 if I am happy

The 12 is supposed to be priced the same as the 11, its the reason they dropped the headphones and charger.

So you pay over 20K for a phone and you don't even get a headphone and charger?

You get the usb cable.

Who still uses a power brick? Im 100% of the time on USB or a powerbank.

Headphones... I don’t like the in ear ones.

I’m ok with this.

You get the usb cable.

I’m ok with this.

You get the usb cable.

I’m ok with this.

I think we can all agree the price is insane, but thats not only an apple thing.

Im actually okay with this. In fact, since they have now moved over to USB-C, they could even drop the cable. Everyone has a multitude of the things lying around.

I think from an environmental viewpoint, its a great thing - a lot less e-waste will be generated this way. Yes, it also saves them money, but im actually okay with it in this regard.

Earphones are also a personal thing. I dont use them at all. Most that do, use aftermarket ones that are much better anyway.

I have a drawer full of USB charging adaptors, most modern wall sockets have a USB port, your computer has a few USB ports, and then when on the move, most people use a power bank in any case. 

I think we can all agree the price is insane, but thats not only an apple thing.

Im actually okay with this. In fact, since they have now moved over to USB-C, they could even drop the cable. Everyone has a multitude of the things lying around.

I think from an environmental viewpoint, its a great thing - a lot less e-waste will be generated this way. Yes, it also saves them money, but im actually okay with it in this regard.

Earphones are also a personal thing. I dont use them at all. Most that do, use aftermarket ones that are much better anyway.

I have a drawer full of USB charging adaptors, most modern wall sockets have a USB port, your computer has a few USB ports, and then when on the move, most people use a power bank in any case. 

And with Wireless charging I am planning on getting a few wireless charging stations to put in key areas.

As for the headphones, I think mine are still sitting unopened in the box for the last 2 iPhones I got.

I am glad that you don't get the head phones, it will just increase the price for something I don't want.

Got about 5 pairs of the yuk Apple earphones in my "the cable drawer" as its known.