iPhone 12 release

Cois

Finance minister Malusi Gigaba has stated that the government plans to increase the tax on luxury goods, with a specific classification for smartphones. He proposed that the excise duties on luxury goods be raised from 7% to 9%. ~ Feb 22, 2018

is a thief, and an idiot

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What would stop one from importing one directly from the US? And what would the all in fee's comprise of?

Not sure if its still the case, but US phones used to be strtctly network locked. But one can import from Europe or Aus. 

I have directly imported smartphones before (not apple - they were blackview ruggedised devices), and I only had to pay VAT on them. This was last year, so I stick to my previous comment, there is no duty on smartphones, unless it changed recently. 

What would stop one from importing one directly from the US? And what would the all in fee's comprise of?

I would imaging it going something like this. 

Item price R13,238

SARS 15% luxury item mark-up R1,726

Taxable value R14,965

9% Duty R1,235

15% VAT R1,951

$799 becomes R18151. 

Excludes shipping and service fees from DHL etc.

These calculations may have changed.  

Edited by DR ◣◢

Not sure if its still the case, but US phones used to be strtctly network locked. But one can import from Europe or Aus. 

I have directly imported smartphones before (not apple - they were blackview ruggedised devices), and I only had to pay VAT on them. This was last year, so I stick to my previous comment, there is no duty on smartphones, unless it changed recently. 

however the risk is on you should something go wrong as Core will not touch the device for repairs.

So even something as simple as a cracked screen cant be fixed via Core/Apple SA.

In 2009 when I was looking at my first Macbook Pro prices were pretty much the same here and else where, but much has happened since then

I see the price on the UK site is 800 pounds, so this is hardly an SA exclusive problem it seems.  It's the US, and then everyone else. 

Took them more than 3 weeks to tell me they can’t find the fault with my MBP (repeating keys recall program). I hammered them hard enough and they replaced the entire top case (keyboard, speakers, battery etc)

They suck 100%

Yeah I eventually got them to replace the entire lower case including battery, keyboard etc.

The funny thing is Apple had a recall program for the batteries but SA didnt qualify... Im assuming because its not an Apple direct country.

The battery swelled so badly that it was like a rocking chair on a desk, the trackpad even stopped working from the pressure.

Does anything ever come from those complaints?

The CPA was supposed to enforce all manner of things and yet it has proven entirely toothless and incompetent.

This pricing reminds me of the recent Nvidia graphics card debacle, everyone was questioning how it suddenly ended up double the price in SA and no good answers were found.

Does anything ever come from those complaints?

The CPA was supposed to enforce all manner of things and yet it has proven entirely toothless and incompetent.

This pricing reminds me of the recent Nvidia graphics card debacle, everyone was questioning how it suddenly ended up double the price in SA and no good answers were found.

Locally in SA?

Yeah I eventually got them to replace the entire lower case including battery, keyboard etc.

The funny thing is Apple had a recall program for the batteries but SA didnt qualify... Im assuming because its not an Apple direct country.

The battery swelled so badly that it was like a rocking chair on a desk, the trackpad even stopped working from the pressure.

Had the same with my 2009 MBP. eventually replaced with a generic battery.

That MBP now serves as my Home Theatre machine, the generic battery doesnt make it through a 3 hour loadsheding with the MBP is standbye mode, but the MBP is still going strong.

BigMac2020_JUL_en.png

The implied value of 999 USD in South Africa according to the Big Mac Index is 5676.14 ZAR. At this exchange rate purchasing power parity exists, and 999 USD buys 189.20 Big Macs in both countries.

The real value of 999 USD at market exchange rates is 12245.89 ZAR. There's no purchasing power parity as 999 USD buys 189.20 Big Macs in United States but 408.20 Big Macs in South Africa. In other words that means that if something costs 999 USD in United States, in order for it to have the same perceived value pricing in South Africa, it has to be priced at 5676.14 ZAR.

If we calculate backwards the implied value of 5676.14 ZAR is 999 USD and the real market value of 5676.14 ZAR is 463.05 USD. In other words that means that in terms of actual purchasing power, having 999 USD in South Africa would be the same as having 2155.28 USD in United States.

Edited by Patchelicious

The implied value of 999 USD in South Africa according to the Big Mac Index is 5676.14 ZAR. At this exchange rate purchasing power parity exists, and 999 USD buys 189.20 Big Macs in both countries.

The real value of 999 USD at market exchange rates is 12245.89 ZAR. There's no purchasing power parity as 999 USD buys 189.20 Big Macs in United States but 408.20 Big Macs in South Africa. In other words that means that if something costs 999 USD in United States, in order for it to have the same perceived value pricing in South Africa, it has to be priced at 5676.14 ZAR.

If we calculate backwards the implied value of 5676.14 ZAR is 999 USD and the real market value of 5676.14 ZAR is 463.05 USD. In other words that means that in terms of actual purchasing power, having 999 USD in South Africa would be the same as having 2155.28 USD in United States.

I remember paying around R180 for a happy meal in Singapore a few years back.

What's worse is they also gave us rice instead of fries. 

I remember paying around R180 for a happy meal in Singapore a few years back.

What's worse is they also gave us rice instead of fries.

Guessing it didn’t make you happy [emoji2]

Some of the numbers thrown around for things in SA are flipping scary. How does someone find 20k to drop on a phone, no matter how much you use it. My last phone in SA was 2k per month, paid for by work, but that was an iPhone 6+ on whatever the max package that was offered by Vodacom. My wife and kids had whatever was cheap and did the job.

Over here, kids are on XR and 11 and my wife is on an XR, with unlimited data on one and 81 Gig shared between the other two, although I can gift another 100Gig from the unlimited contract to the others. All in for the three of them costs me £95 per month, although one XR was bought cash through work, so doesn’t count other than calls and data. So those three with Ridiculous amounts of data and zero call and SMS costs, cost around what one phone and package cost in SA in 2015 with limited data etc.

Scary ****