iPhone 12 release

Cois

That big a difference??

My 11 costs me R799/month. That’s R19k over 24 months. Deduct the value of the 500Gb and 50 minutes, which is not much, then divide by R14/USD (late 2019, early 2020 rates), then you’ll see the big markup made locally.

The $599 price for the 11 should be just meet R11k over two years. If the 11 was $999 this time last year, then at R14/USD that would be R14k, compared to the R17k at today’s rate.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Greed form the core group. Wish Apple would start selling in South Africa and cut out the idiots from core

Don’t get me started on Core. More like rotten core

Too bad that $999 becomes R30k in SA instead of R17k

I’d pay R17k

That’s a lot of bucks. I wonder if there are import duty issues or something?

Right now the iPhone XR is $499 in the US for the 64gig model

Local price is R15990.

How does R8300 become R15990?

I bought my watch series 5 in the US for half of what the launch price was on SA. I also have all the available functions such as ECG.

We are getting shafted by the ****s called Core.

Right now the iPhone XR is $499 in the US for the 64gig model

Local price is R15990.

How does R8300 become R15990?

I bought my watch series 5 in the US for half of what the launch price was on SA. I also have all the available functions such as ECG.

We are getting shafted by the ****s called Core.

Ask Lexx

(Not an argument reply) I bought a Huawei for exactly half the price of the iphone X however long ago it was. As far as my non-tech brain could tell it was hardware better in every way. It still works fine for me today.

And whats best is I don't need itunes, icloud, ithis and ithat to do anything. I don't know why but their software never gelled with me.

Yeah Huawei are heavily subsidized so they can release great hardware for great prices. The lack of Google services on newer devices is an absolute deal breaker for most though.

I seriously hated the itunes days, it was a pain having to do everything through it.

Thankfully that is all gone and there is no dependency on it anymore, everything can be done from the phone only these days. I actually dont think itunes even exists anymore. 

Greed form the core group. Wish Apple would start selling in South Africa and cut out the idiots from core

Yup, core is always a problem.

Im still not sure why Apple dont have a direct presence locally.

I had the unfortunate time of having to send my MBP in for repairs at core, it took a while to get fixed and I had to fight with them even though it was under warranty and the battery swelling is a known issue.

Ask Lexx

SARS definitely plays a part but its mostly just greedy distributors taking the piss in SA.

When you control the only official channels then you get to control pricing.

Yeah Huawei are heavily subsidized so they can release great hardware for great prices. The lack of Google services on newer devices is an absolute deal breaker for most though.

My last 3 phones where Huawei and not having the play store was the exact reason I moved away..

Yup, core is always a problem.

Im still not sure why Apple dont have a direct presence locally.

I had the unfortunate time of having to send my MBP in for repairs at core, it took a while to get fixed and I had to fight with them even though it was under warranty and the battery swelling is a known issue.

Took them more than 3 weeks to tell me they can’t find the fault with my MBP (repeating keys recall program). I hammered them hard enough and they replaced the entire top case (keyboard, speakers, battery etc)

They suck 100%

SARS definitely plays a part but its mostly just greedy distributors taking the piss in SA.

When you control the only official channels then you get to control pricing.

There is no duty on electronics inlcuding laptops and cellphones. The only thing that is paid to SARS is VAT. There would be sales taxes worked into that USD price as well. This is purely the local supplier/distirbutor being greedy, because they can. 

Its the same with bike parts/components/tires etc

Finance minister Malusi Gigaba has stated that the government plans to increase the tax on luxury goods, with a specific classification for smartphones. He proposed that the excise duties on luxury goods be raised from 7% to 9%. ~ Feb 22, 2018