I also have an annoying creak

lechatnoir

It's not my knees though

My carbon-frame road bike has a press fit BB (I know) and it has an annoying click at 6 o'clock on the drive side, but only when pedaling from a moderate level, increasing in dB as power increases

I've asked the bike shop to look at it and they can make it go away with a good clean, but it comes back after a week or so

It happens in and out of the saddle, so not seatpost. It does it with road and MTB pedals and it does it on and off my kickr, so not rear wheel/bearings/cassette. I have checked the crank 

At the last service they checked the BB bearing and said they're 100's (about 14000km), but I'm wondering if just replacing the BB will sort the issue. It's driving me mental.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing that got me through a similar click on the weekends ride was somebody else's bike that was squeaking even louder. LOL

Haven't had a chance to check it so probably more of the same tomorrow... :(

I replace the bearings.

reason is that if a bearing has run out you won't feel it when the preload form the crank is removed. You have to push hard on the inner race and then try and turn the bearing. Often you will pick up where the click is coming from because you will feel the high spot in the bearing.

Pressfit done right is superb. Sadly not many manufacturers take the time to do it right

Also have the same issues. Not pressfit though.

Have ordered a new BB and hope that solves the issue as did multiple cleans/re greases and even plumbers tape on the BB thread

Check your chainring bolts too - I had a creak that changed in intensity depending on how hard you pedal, turned out I had actually lost one of my chainring bolts. Replaced it and tightened all, creak went away.

I had same issue during colder weather, it came down to putting more tension to the centre pre load on Shimano ultegra crank, just loosen the two Allen bolts on LH arm then tension centre cap up and re torque Allen bolts. Mine went away. Shimano and BBB make a special key socket to fit into the Shimano crank arm cap

I replace the bearings.

reason is that if a bearing has run out you won't feel it when the preload form the crank is removed. You have to push hard on the inner race and then try and turn the bearing. Often you will pick up where the click is coming from because you will feel the high spot in the bearing.

Pressfit done right is superb. Sadly not many manufacturers take the time to do it right

Can one do this oneself or do you have to pay a bikeshop R1695 to fit 2 generic bearings that they got from bearing man?

Can one do this oneself or do you have to pay a bikeshop R1695 to fit 2 generic bearings that they got from bearing man?

I have struggled to uy 61806 beariing man from time to time. I it possible though, Just get a 30mm bearing extractor from them and a bearing press. The Bearings are like R140 each. Bike shops charge about double that for Enduro bearings that are nothing special

This sounds like a Friday Thread in the Constania Facebook page, 'The creek just wont stop, even at night, its just too peaceful'

if it was a Constantia chat then it would read something like #HTFU-2fast4U

I have struggled to uy 61806 beariing man from time to time. I it possible though, Just get a 30mm bearing extractor from them and a bearing press. The Bearings are like R140 each. Bike shops charge about double that for Enduro bearings that are nothing special

The problem is the buffoon doing the work. No doubt I'll crack my frame.