Why I don’t wear branded clothing.

DR ◣◢

I have a few riding shirts. But at the price they go for lately, I am not even gonna bother to buy any more. I find that cotton tshirts work well. A good riding shorts or  a bib and a baggies is good enough. Rather invest in some nice shoes.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My reason I don’t support the big brand shirts anymore... I saw the supplier prices and what the retail price is....

Your argument is not making sense here. Your issued appeared to be large (pretentious, over the top) branding and being a walking advertisement, but your real issue is the margins.

Many premium bands have very small, hardly noticeable branding and only those paying attention would notice this. But those people are already aware of the brand anyway, and no amount of marketing/exposure will change their buying habits anyway.

I have bad news for you. The entire retail clothing industry is like that.

Not to the extent that I’ve seen with cycling clothing. I worked in fashion retail and I know what the markup is on regular clothing. It is nowhere near what I’m seeing here.

Can we line up next week's thread so long?

"Why I don't like redheads (or blondes, brunettes, or people.)"

And then follow it up with

"because they cost too much money to keep happy."

If you don't like something because the branding is garish or the mark up is too damn high, then dont buy it, or buy it on markdown.

Comparing fashion retail margins where items are replaced on a 3-6month cycle and functional clothing where clothes are used for 2-3 years or until worn out is a bit disingenuous. Comparing apples with pears.

To me its also a personal choice.

I think branding on clothing looks tacky, but thats just me. If you want to look like billboard, thats your choice too. I’ll still think you look tacky though haha. To other people my closet might look very bland lol. I own all black T’s, some jeans..and the odd button up shirt. I dress them up or down depending on the occasion or how i feel fit. In the creative industry you can though. I have zero regard for your dresscode lol...you wont force me to wear anything, not even to your wedding. But i’m lucky that my people have accepted me like this over the years and now turn a blind eye. I do me.

Ill admit that i’m more often than not forced to buy branded jeans because thats the only way I find them in my length. OEM jeans are all one length usually...and on me that translates into a ‘pedal pusher’ length haha. Other than that i’d be all over Mr price ones if they sold ones in my length. This perception about quality vs price is just that alot of the time.

I don't like wasting time thinking about cloths, so I keep it simple, everyday. So i also basically look the same everyday, and it suites me and my personality just fine. Same reason I shave my head even though I have more hair than a 80s hairmetal band. I just don't care about wasting time or effort on things that basically determine how you feel about yourself through other people eyes lol.

“Aint nobody got time for that”

Can we line up next week's thread so long?

"Why I don't like redheads .

Heresy! Take that back now  :clap:

There is no such thing as an unattractive redhead, they are automatically reclassified as ginger at that point.

I wear what ever my wife buys me, I hate shopping and I hate shopping for clothing even more

This.

Why my choice of clothing makes it super easy for her (and me if i do it online). Gooi some black T’s and some jeans in the cart and im golden for another few months.

Also...why literally waste money on overly expensive rags when you can buy more betterer toys instead????

Edited by morneS555

I work in the fabric trade. The amount of money you spend on a cycling top for example is about R36p/m retail price. Not sure what it is now, but that was about a year back. You could say you need 1.5m, but the fabric is also 1.5m wide. Take into consideration printing, using more than one colour fabric, pattern making, cmt etc. I would say alot of the guys out there, in almost any clothing trade is making a fair chunk of change.

someone who buys from us, always wants things for the cheapest price, never willing to spend on quality fabric etc. Spends about R200 on all the materials to complete garment. This persons cuts and sews and sells the garment from R2000.00 I dont think I have seen anything for under 2k from this person. This is just one of our clients, now all the designers, and garment manufacturers that do buy from us, get a discount and yet they never happy but they make a huge profit on their top end.

Because they are brand sluts. The companies try and make the brand desirable the people buy the kit because it is desirable and expensive and now your mates can see that you spend a boatload om ZARS on kit. Simple Marketing 101 - stroke the brand conscious egos and you keep making money. 

Same can be said for why people buy Polo (as an example) vs Mr Price. If there was no banding how would you be able to show off to your mates that you are with it and have burnt cash on it.

Because they are brand sluts. The companies try and make the brand desirable the people buy the kit because it is desirable and expensive and now your mates can see that you spend a boatload om ZARS on kit. Simple Marketing 101 - stroke the brand conscious egos and you keep making money.

Same can be said for why people buy Polo (as an example) vs Mr Price. If there was no banding how would you be able to show off to your mates that you are with it and have burnt cash on it.

I have tried the Mr. Price stuff (Long ago) it started to come loose at the seams, was not really moisture wicking and started to scratch me after a while. Dunno if it is better quality now but I’ll rather look like a slut than feel like I have crabs.

I work in the fabric trade. The amount of money you spend on a cycling top for example is about R36p/m retail price. Not sure what it is now, but that was about a year back. You could say you need 1.5m, but the fabric is also 1.5m wide. Take into consideration printing, using more than one colour fabric, pattern making, cmt etc. I would say alot of the guys out there, in almost any clothing trade is making a fair chunk of change.

I have been through them all in buying shirts for an  annual event and for a club.You get crap quality and good quality.I will not buy the cheap sh*t.I still have shirts I designed and had made 15 years ago and they are fine