Dear Bike Industry

BMXER

There are also concepts like this. No chain and very efficient, but I think they still need to sort out the shifting.

ceramic-speed-driven00011-1539030009.jpg

That thing will need something like a car clutch where you would have to stop pedaling, disengage, shift, re-engage.. or a very complicated(propbably unfeasible) ramp system to shift properly. Don't think it will ever get past prototype phase.

Edited by JohanDiv

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That thing will need something like a car clutch where you would have to stop pedaling, disengage, shift, re-engage.. or a very complicated(propbably unfeasible) ramp system to shift properly. Don't think it will ever get past prototype phase.

Can only imagine what will happen when mud gets into those small bearings. Great idea, but lots of precision required in manufacturing. Which equates to very expensive.

It's also an entire bike, not parts that go onto a bike.

So it is, in fact, the very thing the OP's article is complaining about! hahaha

It would be a new standard, specific to one brand, which goes against trying to make things interchangeable and 'standard'.

Can only imagine what will happen when mud gets into those small bearings. Great idea, but lots of precision required in manufacturing. Which equates to very expensive.

It could probably be housed inside a sealed cover. To be honest I don't think it will become mainstream, but in places like track cycling where those marginals gains may help it could be useful.

It could probably be housed inside a sealed cover. To be honest I don't think it will become mainstream, but in places like track cycling where those marginals gains may help it could be useful.

Agree, track and maybe TT also.

Agree 100% person. Some people just feel the need to shove their ***** down other peoples throats when it comes to personal preference. Don't be that guy. Keep it in your pants.

I honestly can't see the claimed benefit going from boost to super boost. Marketing at it's finest. Stiffness 

Same with 31.8 vs 35 on bars. It's still a bar that you hold onto. Don't tell me that one is stiffer or more responsive to trail chatter etc. I did not notice a difference when I "upgraded". 

Ps. You have great taste in moto! I see a Vitpilen 701 in my future for commuting and some weekend fun. 

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/35mm-Carbon-Handlebars-Flex-Tested-amp-More-Vital-Gear-Show,2801

I think I've read of people going back to 31.8 because the 35mm is less forgiving.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/35mm-Carbon-Handlebars-Flex-Tested-amp-More-Vital-Gear-Show,2801

I think I've read of people going back to 31.8 because the 35mm is less forgiving.

So have I. My 35mm OneUp bars came with the claimed special design to reduce trail rattle and maybe it does work because they feel the same as what my 31.8mm bars did. 

So maybe the marketing hype worked. 

I see Rockshox changed the tool required to open a fork top cap. I got upset, now I can't use my hex socket :( Then I read that it's a cassette lock-ring remover and I have one of those :)

I think this may be a change for the better, most hex sockets are chamfered and not the right kind for use on fork top caps unless you grind them down to remove the chamfer.

I see Rockshox changed the tool required to open a fork top cap. I got upset, now I can't use my hex socket :( Then I read that it's a cassette lock-ring remover and I have one of those :)

I think this may be a change for the better, most hex sockets are chamfered and not the right kind for use on fork top caps unless you grind them down to remove the chamfer.

Like this ....

post-110956-0-75498400-1607096048_thumb.jpg

Grind it flat .... I used the cordless drill to slowly turn the socket while grinding it flat, ensuring a nice level removal

post-110956-0-19797100-1607096086_thumb.jpg

Flat, but with a nasty burr ...

post-110956-0-89045100-1607096068_thumb.jpg

Now sand it down nicely ....

post-110956-0-04385700-1607096104_thumb.jpg

And you have your own custom socket ... 

post-110956-0-93528200-1607096214_thumb.jpg

The "nut" is just to flat to use a standard socket

Edited by ChrisF

• 2 weeks later...